All That Work For Nothing...Well, Sort of. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

All That Work For Nothing...Well, Sort of.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Mar 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Yes Vegas.....the pilot bearing was changed. In fact, all small seals, bearings, crush washers and things like that have been replaced.

But thanks for the heads up.....that would have been a real "doh! "

Pulling that pilot bearing was a real hassle. Newman suggested filling the cavity with grease and using hydraulic action push a center dowel and the bearing would pop out. Didn't work for me, grease just flowed out the bearing race. I used a combination of spacers and a bolt and nut and just backed it out.....only to find...."hey...they make a tool for this."

Go further along putting the bell housing back. Holding the bell housing in one hand trying to align the center spline shaft while trying to align the quill shaft and slide everything down.....oh baby....fun!

I then moved on torquing everything down...then to one of the starter bolts...."crack". Hmmm....did I break a bolt? No....the threads pulled out of one of the starter bolt holes. Well, I did torque it down to spec. OK, pull it out and put in a thread cert.....hmm which one?

OK, found "fix a thread" kit at Advance Auto and had to buy a very odd size drill ( industrial supplier ). I drilled out the hole, tapped it out, inserted the coil with some red loctite...Voila!

Hmmm.....since I have the starter out and the loctite has to dry....might as well refurbish it....concours look! I sanded it down, masked it off and painted it with OEM trim black. You don't need High-temp paint here.

It came out beautifully. I let it dry for a full day in the sun and let it cool off overnight. I put it back, torqued the bolt to spec....."click" on the torque wrench....done!

I put the gear oil back....Royal Purple 75W90, attached the clutch line and proceeded to bleed the clutch.

But wait...there's more.

Hmm, the clutch bleeder is kinda tight....let me take it out and put some anti seize. I pull it out and half the steel thread is chewed up, broken, and the pin point seal is very scarred up. What's up with that?!?! The last shop that did my major comes to mind....hmm.

OK, quick call to the F pimp for the bleeder, housing and crush washer. I will say, Trent at my F pimp, Central Florida Ferrari is da MAN ! He was going to mail it out to me....forgot and Fedex'd it to me free. He knew this was holding me up. Seems everyone at the dealer is following along with this saga as well. :)

I put the new bleeder in and super smooth turning on the bleeder. I still put some anti seize for good measure.

Proceeded to bleed the clutch....to death. I did it "old school" with a hose in a bottle at the bell housing while pumping the clutch pedal by hand....mindfull not to let the reservoir go down too far. The feed line for the master cylinder is mounted at the top of the reservoir and must be watched carefully as not to suck in air. This took awhile....all done...great pedal feel.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

2. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Hahahahah..yes they do! Auto Zone rents them for free...my favorite Auto store! Tons of good tools there that you dont have to buy to use it only once ( geez I hope! )

I did the old school bleed too ;) but I went a little further my friend. I basically changed the brake fluid from DOT3 to DOT5 since the TR is NOT an ABS equipped car. DOT5 is silicone based fluid which does not eat everything in it's path like DOT3 and it also outperforms DOT3 in everyway specially temp wise. I think the boiling point of DOT5 is almost twice of the DOT3. Also DOT5 is dark purple, kinda cool and easier to see in the reservoir if you're running low ;)

Hey just a food for thought....I like to do updates and upgrades, but that's just me and I thought I would share that deep secret with ya Shamile. Dont tell anyone else ok? Just between me and you bro ;)

Ski

3. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Shamile, Vegas,
    I just got a call from Clutchmasters saying they are having to recall all their boxer and TR clutch rebuilds!

Haaaaaaaaaaaa, just kidding!:D
    Glad to hear the clutch worked out for you!
    John

4. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Now that's funny............

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #55 Shamile, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009

Dear Ferraristi,

Ah....let me guess, the gal in your Ferrari pix is not really your GF but your friends and begged her for a "cool" shot?

OK....that only happens to me. :D

Update time....

Well, with the bell housing back and all fluid in place, it was time for the big test. Since I was a little wary....the second time around, I left the exhaust and air box off and left the car on the jack stands.

OK, start car.....WOW ! what a sound! Have you ever heard your TR without the exhaust? What a beast...even louder than my Lamborghini without the exhaust. It just screamed as you blip the throttle and just spits nails at idle.

Now for the big moment...Hold breath...hold pe**s. Clutch pedal in.....hand on gear shifter....ready to push into gear.............

.....it goes ! Actually just slides in perfectly ! Holy Crap...it worked!!!

Oh man....I'm so pumped....more than seeing a blonde cheerleader bounce up and down....yes really!

As the engine and gearbox warm up, I run through the gears....all of them....smooth as silk...wow, I don't believe it!

Interestingly enough, the rear wheels don't turn at all while the gear is in neutral.

OK, that was the "on the jack stands" test....next real world driving under load. First, I have to put the exhaust, air box, valence and under-grill back.

Hmmm.....with all the money I've spent getting to this point....could have bought a Tubi by now.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

6. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Congrats Shamile! It took a while but I am sure the satisfaction is worth it. You (and I) sure learned a lot.

FREEZE! MIAMI VICE out to you!

CC

7. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYES... Get her back on the road..

R

9. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Great to hear it Sham Wow! You've stayed with this problem, and figured it out. I'm in awe of the work you've done, and the patience you've showed. A big "freeze!" to you.

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi

Update....

I worked on putting back the exhaust system today. All new stainless hardware with copper anitseize, new Fpimp exhaust donuts made for easy assembly....ha ha...never that easy.

I assembled, tightened and loosened the exhaust 7 times. I just wanted all the pipes exactly straight. I finally got it correct and perfectly straight only to....um....ah...have it hidden by the rear valence. :D

Oh well....I know it's straight.

After the valance and exhaust grill went back, the air box assembly was next.

Ohhh.....the moment I've been waiting for......take the Vice machine off the jack stands. Wow, since I've been used to the TR sitting high on those stands for the last, give or take 10 months, the car looks sooooo low, wide and sleek!!!

OK, test drive time. After warming up the car, clutch in, slip into gear....yes, not a fluke! I reversed out and gingerly moved along. I could feel a little chatter and pushed back in the clutch and brought it out gingerly....ah....moving along. A few have mentioned that the Kevlar clutch will have slight chatter for the first 500 miles or so. I brought the car up to speed and with the gear box warming up....shifted smoothly and with no noise or rough feel.

I drove around and everything felt very smooth. The pedal feel was good if not a bit heavier with the new clutch fingers and new master cylinder....not leaking anymore. :)

Since I hadn't driven the car for awhile I deliberately stayed below 5000 rpm and will do more driving before I declare the problem solved and done.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

11. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Fantastic news.

Mine also felt slightly heavier for the first few weeks, and I actually had trouble driving it becasue it was all different. Instead of the clutch being all at the top of the pedal, I had this amazing smooth transition, with very little pedal required before initial takup.

Now I'm getting used to it and the car feels amazing and some of that inital weight has gone away slightly, probably with settling.

Give it three weeks or so and you will have a grin as wide as mine when I drive the big arsed old girl.

Well done mate.

12. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Update....hopefully for the last time.....well, on this thread anyways. :)

I've been running the Vice machine for the last couple of days now to see how it runs. I've done about 210 miles running errands since yesterday. So far.....so good. Um...Yay !

The initial chatter I felt at engagement at low rpm is pretty well gone and now engages relatively smoothly now.

The clutch pedal feel is smooth and progressive but still feels a little heavy...at times. I wonder if it's just the new slave cylinder seals that need time to seat-in. I remember when I replaced all the faucets in my Florida home a couple of years ago. A first, the center faucet handle was very stiff...now it's smooth.....perhaps the same issue here?

The gears shift well and once good and toasty....not so notchy....even 2nd!

After 10 months of not driving the TR.....ohh, it felt good. Once warmed up back to my old habits....shift at redline! Ya know, this is really one of the best Ferrari's ever made. What a car!

I'm amazed at the values issues of the Testarossa. Since the TR was out of commission, I've been driving my VT Roadster only. Coming back to the TR was not a letdown at all. In fact, I could really feel the "soul" of the car. Well, the 100+ down on hp compared to my Lamborghini was noticeable. But one thing about "old school" handmade cars....they FEEL fast. You're not insulated from the road but feel all the "right" vibrations.

Yeah.....when I say "Freeze....Miami Vice !".....I ain't kidding !!!!!!!!!! :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !