Allanlambo - The Gallardo is a serious runner | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Allanlambo - The Gallardo is a serious runner

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mako99, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Z06 does it in 24-25 seconds.

2. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Not according to the last one tested by Car and Driver it doesn't.

I love people giving their opinion as to what the car in question really does because they think they remember some vague figure from some other mag way back in the haze that doesn't employ C&D's control set for testing.

I use the newest figures possible, from C&D exclusively so that they can be compared. I don't care what CAR, EVO, R&T, or anyone else reports because I don't know their testing methodology so I wouldn't know how to adjust their results when compared to C&D. If you like R&T for example, you have to use R&T exclusively for results, which is fine. Same goes for the other mags. You can't compare results between different mags, even when they're using the same optical gear.

Some of the smaller import **** mags are still using f-ing Vericom loggers for performance figures, simply because the high-end optical gear cost 10x to buy.

I'm not originating these figures, I am copying them from a C&D database.

3. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Gearing is important, no doubt, but it's a small factor when compared to power/weight ratio. Nothing is as critical in predicting a car's straightline performance at high speeds as engine power, the weight of the car, the coefficient of drag of the car, and the car's gearing, pretty much in that order.

The Jag is fast. It is nowhere near McLaren F1 fast. Period.

At best you're talking about possibly being a full second faster to 150MPH than say an F40, and I'm giving you a lot there.

If you freeze the test once the Jag hits 150MPH on the nose and see how many car lengths behind the F40 is at that point, it's going to be massive due to being a full second slower. Someone else do the math.

But a McLaren F1 blowing through 150MPH at 12.8 seconds? Sunny boy your Jaguar wouldn't even be visible in the rearview mirror, seriously.

No offense, we all have our favorite cars, but the religious-like fanaticism that internet jockeys employ in defending them is insane.

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Sonny, i must disagree with you on the Jag speed. its nowhere near the Mclaren. I went and looked at one at one point, and although i didnt drive it, they informed me the speed was on par with a good running F40.

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Allan,

If you are referring to acceleration I am not sure (will let Sonny chime in) but in terms of top speed the F40 gets shown the tail lights.

Early production 220's tested out at about 205-209. The last few that were sold and tested by British magazine CAR did an indicated 213-215 with Andy Wallace driving.

Somewhere later they hit 218 in a test.

Unless we are talking F40LM, not street F40 has ever done more than 200-205 that I am aware of.

Regards,

Jon

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    jon: call on me whenever you need to. i owe you much. i'm slated for skippy in feb., but am holding out for a shot at fia licensing in march. hope to speak to you soon, and hope your holiday were great.
    regards,
    hubert

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What I would love most about the Gallardo as an owner:

No cam BELTS, but rather CHAINS instead!

9. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Napolis,

Please explain the details of your F1 pic w/GM. Do you know him? Do you have any more? If you do, I would love to see them! Also, the date on the bottom right of the pic says '87, but, surely that is impossible since the car was not even an idea at that point.

Greg A

10. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I'm going to take a shot at this and assume the date on the camera is wrong.

Yes, do you have anymore pictures?

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, i know the Xj220 is definately much faster than the f40 in top speed, but i meant acceleration, say to 150mph.

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    was just looking at some xj pics last night...still achingly beautiful, in that way, smokes the F40, f50 etc... Too bad they never got to use the V12 they wanted to.

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    It's actually amazingly close - the Shuttle is going about 200mph at the 13 sec point in the launch. Of course it is going straight up...

Gary

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I haven't driven either. I'm only pointing out that for all the figures claimed, someone at some point reached a similiar speed at night with cool damp air and a 10% down grade. Thats all I'm saying. The thread started with acceleration figures, what I could find on the web, repeatedly, was similiar figures to what I posted.

I just want to find out the truth about it, however, there are 1/4 as many produced as the F40 and no one seems to drive them to give us a real answer. Who has driven both that can give us a solid answer? Not me, not you, not Allan. Right?

Until such a time, I'm only posting the figures as I can find them. My opinion on the car means nothing. Its fast. If you don't believe what you read, then you search and come up with something different until one of us gets first hand knowledge or some test gear.

I only wanted to say, hey, there's another fast car that was out in the early 90's missing from the list. Period.

Regarding its top speed, it was able to achieve 217-218 in stock form and only set the record by having aero tweaks and it achieved 223.1. The McLaren, however, was STOCK when it did it.

There's a local XJ220-S, not detuned. Maybe one day we can convince them to test it and find out exactly what it will do on a gentle or moderate launch with some test equipment. Or even if its a silly G-tech Pro, its going to be an indication at least.

Sunny

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    In reference to the E55 AMG.
    http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6567&page_number=3

"Propelled by the same supercharged 5.4-liter SOHC 24-valve V-8 employed in the SL55 AMG, albeit with a little less horsepower, it’s even faster than the SL55 we tested last November, clocking 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds, 0 to 100 in 9.9, 0 to 150 in 24.5, and the quarter in 12.5 seconds at 116 mph. That’s quicker than anything else in this roundup—quicker, in fact, than any production sedan we’ve ever tested. Sports-car quick. The last Corvette Z06 we tested (December 2001) hit 60 mph in 4.0 seconds, 100 in 9.2, and 150 in 24.1, and it covered the quarter in 12.4 seconds at 116 mph."

Another C&D reference.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=35&article_id=2839

In the C&D Supercar challenge the Corvette's slowest shown 0-100mph time is 10.03 seconds, with the slowest shown 100-150 time being 15.80 seconds. The fastest shown 0-100mph is 9.85 seconds, with the fastest shown 100-150mph time being 15.25 seconds. Oh course, these sprints are separated, but the variation in times is so minimal...surely you can see where this is going.

The 02-04 Z06 0-150mph time is 24-25 seconds when properly driven.

17. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Wow Payne, nice job, I stand corrected and will go edit that figure to 24.1 seconds.

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Are there any other wheels available for it? The ones on it look too Audi S4-ish (although a great wheel); I'd want something with more spokes... like these BBS LM's.

19. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  20. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003