Allocation and deposit ?’s | FerrariChat

Allocation and deposit ?’s

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bpolsky, Apr 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpolsky

bpolsky Rookie

Nov 4, 2017
    So I finally got the call from my dealer, and I have an official allocation. They are not sure exactly when I can order, and it might be toward the end of this year. They also asked for a refundable 10k deposit. A few questions:

1. Is a deposit a typical requirement? If so, is 10k appropriate?

2. Is anyone else getting allocations and ordering sooner than the end of the year?

3. I am having second thoughts about spending $275k on this new model and having to wait until the middle of 2019 to get it. I could get a 570s spider, Huracan spider, or even an R8 now and save a ton. I could also wait a year and find a used Portofino and save.

4. With all that said, is the purchasing process and experience worth paying retail?

Thank you for any thoughts and/or experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I can only speak about my experience in the UK.

1) 20K deposit paid

2) Going to Maranello to spec Portofino at the end of this month. Hoping to get car by the end of 2018, but no confirmation. I've spoke to 2 different dealers who are both unable to give specific dates when cars will arrive in the UK.

3) You can keep your deposit down and if you find a used Portofino just ask for it back. You could also purchase a new car whilst you wait.

4) I looked at other cars, but decided I wanted the whole experience of buying a new model Ferrari. I went to the UK launch and as previously stated am off to Ferrari to spec the car.

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My dealer wants a 25k deposit. Not giving him that without driving the car first.

iloveferrari likes this.
  4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  5. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Dealer wants $20k deposit. Supposed to have a car in mid summer at a launch event. I am not in a hurry so will put down the deposit and wait after I see the car. Can’t really see any other car I am interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    So no one has deposit for this car!

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I wouldn't go that far, but I suspect several prospective buyers are exercising due caution, and waiting to test-drive the car first before putting down any deposits.

I will test-drive the car soon, in about a month or so, and I'm doing absolutely nothing until I get an idea of how it feels and speaks to me. No rush.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Also I noticed heated and cooled seats are currently not options. I expect addl options will be added as time goes on so am waiting.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My dealer says there is no info yet on the Porto so can’t do anything. Ridiculous games.

10. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Heated seats yes! With the full electric seats, cool seats not yet!

11. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Sure, but if you haven’t yet put down a deposit it could well be 2020 before you get a car... at least in the UK, based on what dealers here are quoting. I put down a £20k deposit in Aug ‘17.

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Exactly, which is a strong reason for me to keep my Cali T for another year since I have the ventilated seats and use them often.

13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    My name is no one

iloveferrari, uhn2000 and XDINO like this.
  14. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    So you're the guy from the "Odyssey".

jumpinjohn likes this.
  15. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Maybe in the UK, doubt that's the case here in the US.

16. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I drive my Cali 30 I ask myself do I need to spend an additional $150k for a bit more thrust and a bit less sound?
    Still haven't written a check.

17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The Cali 30 was/is a great car. Awesome sound and (IMHO) a very pretty car. To me, the Cali T was a huge improvement in terms of feeling more solid and put together. Noticeably more powerful. Only downside is the sound. Better in every other way in my experience.

I don’t know what the Portofino will sound like. I expect it will be better in every respect than the T but not as visceral sounding as the 30.

I think the leap from a 30 to the Portofino will be much much greater than a few hp...

18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! Thats exciting!

I have an on going relationship with my dealer and in the past I think they wouldn't have wanted much of a deposit on a California, but this go round they have asked for a $10k deposit and they tell me Ferrari is asking to have a substantial deposit on file. I have no objections as I want a Portofino. The $10k seems appropriate to me.

I will be ordering in the Fall as well.

All true, all reasonable. In my experience ordering a Ferrari means you are waiting anywhere between 4-10 months to get it- depending. Some people might have experience that is faster or even longer. I think the question you need to ask is whether you want to have the car your way. If yes, then you will need to order it, and Ferrari just takes a little longer than the other guys. That's because they aren't like the other guys. You could also buy a California or California T, drive that, wait for your car, then trade it in on your car. This is about the balance between what you want and what is somewhat fiscally sane and that is something only you can decide.

Another one of those only you can decide, but I think it is. I think there is something very special about ordering your very own Ferrari. And if you can go to Maranello and spec it there, you should. On the other hand, I know many people who would say its not worth it and they would just wait for these cars to show up as pre-owned and then they can go buy it for somewhat of a discount. Neither is wrong. The important thing is to figure out what matters to you. I really do value being able to spec the car just so, and then to see that dream come to life.

jumpinjohn, bpolsky and XDINO like this.
  20. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Since Ferrari came out with the Portofino they have produced zero Calis and zero Portos to Canada. I presume there must be some big pressure to get it out the door as it was a large part of their revenue. I am trying my luck selling the CaliTHS hoping someone will take it off my hands for decent numbers before the Porto comes in. My only concern on values is that you can actually order and spec a car here for April 2019.

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    What are the specs on your California T with HS?

22. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Beautiful spec!

uhn2000 likes this.
  24. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks, I am giving it one more month to sell and then driving it another season. I have a buyer for next April but it means I am taking a bath on the car which I don't mind (father inlaw) but it's been a great lesson into the secondary market habits of Ferraris.

Anthony Capone likes this.
  25. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Is this an April fools joke? A refundable deposit is normal. The higher the deposit the better. Ordering and allocations can definitely be achieved prior to year end. The R8 would be the best option as it will be discontinued with this generation. You are wrongfully assuming that Portofinos on the second hand market will be less than retail.