Almost died today, and a lesson learned. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Almost died today, and a lesson learned.

Discussion in '360/430' started by bizz, Apr 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #51 gatorgreg, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009

I have done this at turn 17 Sebring at 100 mph. Full throttle, turning right. You panic or not thinking (more likely) and you take your foot off the gas. Then the spins happens. You can catch it, but if you don't.Your done! The spin begins. All you can do is clutch in, brake on, hold on. With the F1 you can left foot brake. I have a 575 with F1. When the back end starts to go it's gone. FYI no ASR for me.(sport on, asr off)

It's a very good lesson. I think in this situation it was debris on the road. As soon as he turned the wheel at speed it was over. Sand, dirt, rocks, even grass shavings on an asphalt surface are like ice at high speed.

Next time, brake first, get the weight on the front wheels and then turn with no gas. Make your correction, then gas on. Easy to say hard to do in the moment!!!!

2. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    1)Freakin' Crazy Scary!!
    2)Glad you are ok!
    3)The residue of luck is skill!

3. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    Got new rubber put on it today and it's as smooth as silk. I was a little concerned about suspension damage but it looks like it's all good. The ASR active light won't turn off now though, and the ABS light clicked on as well. Is the ASR linked to the ABS in any way shape or form? The car is certainly in limp mode or something, it's heavily sedated. :)

<update- disconnected the battery, let it sit for :15 and reconnected, ASR and ABS lights both went away, limp mode is off>

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Glad they're ok. That's very traumatic.

I've never had a major accident with anything on the freeway but have had some close calls. I had a clothes dresser fly off the bed of a pickup truck in front of me at 75mph (swerve, ran over shattering boards), I had another pickup drop a box of appliances and got hit in the bumper by a toaster and microwave, missed a few truck tires (no rim though), once had a 18 wheeler tire explode right as I was beside the wheel passing the truck, it was a shock and actually pushed my car laterally. I never drive behind loaded pickups or work trucks on the freeway now.

Actually just two weeks ago I was in Ontario, CA and there was some sort of butcher or brown wrapping paper that had come unspooled on the freeway and large 5-10ft shreds of paper were all over the road for a good 3-4 miles. Didn't seem too dangerous, just annoying. But, there was a Ford SUV that got paper stuck underneath and was on fire on the side of the road, large pieces of paper sticking out from under the engine and flames coming off the paper.