ALMS @ Road America - PICTURES | FerrariChat

ALMS @ Road America - PICTURES

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Gilles27, Jul 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Anyone going the weekend of August 7-10? After my recurring yet unfulfilled threats to attend the KIC, the family held a meeting and decided we would instead plan on going to the ALMS in some capacity. My wife is even intrigued by the series after watching some of it on TV! There's a lot going on over the 4 days--anyone have suggestions? We'll make it a day trip, otherwise I'd have to stay with my crazy sister in Sheboygan.

2. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    If you see a Mondial 3.2 Cab on the track side of the fence that's me. (If the weather isn't terrible and I don't get yelled at for parking there again.) I'll be working that weekend as a volunteer corner worker - hopefully at corners 8 & 9. Not much time to socialize, but you can't get any closer to the action. I hope to see a few F-Chatters out during the track touring sessions, and maybe at Siebkens for a drink in the evenings.

3. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    BTW - if the wife and kids get bored (mine always seem to) they could swim at Fireman's Park on Elkhart Lake, rent bicycles there and go for a ride, or go to Blue Harbor in Sheboygan for the water park. On Saturdays in Elkhart Lake they also have a nice little Farmer's Market with food and crafts and stuff, and there is a great little trout fishing farm outside of town that is fun if you have little ones.

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Should be another great ALMS race. They have several new cars including
    the Aston's and a Ford GT. I hope the Maserati MC12 comes back.
    The Speedvision cars are also very nice. They practice on Friday/Saturday
    and race on Sunday. I love the Saturday night ALMS race idea. It was a great race last year.

TT

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #5 tifosi12, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  6. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    I'll be there, the photo meetings suck!

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I figured as much. But to be able to buy a press pass just for money was a chance I couldn't let go by. I love this country! I really mean it.

8. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Last year the meetings were bad because of no A/C for a room with 50 people the size of a small classroom. But, there are definite rules given out...

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    As Andreas says in an earlier post, yes, John and I will be there Friday and Saturday. We attend many of the ALMS races and like this track. Per the link to the schedule that Andreas posted, qualifying is Friday from 3-3:20 for GT cars; 3:30-3:50 for P cars. I really prefer this type of qualifying - 20 minutes ... you are either on or you're not. We watched qualifying last year from Canada Corner (great place, lots of action). If you don't make it Friday, be there early Saturday. The BMW race can be entertaining, there's qualifying for SPEED Touring and GT (the touring guys are a heck of a racing bunch!), ALMS warm-up later in the morning. You can browse the vendors, walk through the paddock gawking at all the cars and the autograph session is from 1-2. The lines are normally quite lengthy for Audi, Corvette and Penske - advise you to be standing in line at the respective transporters about 12:30. They will have cards they sign and will sign anything else you drag along. At 3:15 the pre-race festivities commence - after the cars go out on the track and line up in qualifying positions on the grid . . the grid is open to the public for about 20 or so minutes where you can walk among the cars, teams, drivers (in some cases)... just remember when "Hindy" says clear the grid, it's time to go! Andreas can get into the podium area I'm sure with his photo pass, the rest of us can stand up again the chain link fence to cheer for our guys. (Might want to mention to your wife to not wear sandals).

Looks like Bell is back on the list for GT1 after their shunt at Lime Rock. The MC-12 is not running again this year as it did last year. The Falken Ford GT (went out at Mid-Ohio with electrical problems) is colorful but unfortunely neither Ford GT is very competitive against the RSR's and 430's. Aston running in GT1 is Drayson/Barwell - Lord Paul Drayson is a very nice guy who was the former British Defence Minister as I recall.

We're doing the Audi Experience there again - this year we'll be at Area 1 - Enjoying the view of Turn 14, up the main straight, and the entrance to the pits. Area 1 or North Paddock, is located just below Competition Paddock. When I last checked there's still openings - www.audiexp.com

Hope to see everyone there.

Carol

10. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I'll be up there on Saturday night pulling for Risi!

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    My parents just spent a couple days in Sheboygan and my dad said traffic is brutal because of construction. Anyone else have that experience?

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not at all. You stay on I-94 (or whatever it becomes after Milwaukee) until the Kohler exit. That takes you to Erie, which leads right into town. No construction anywhere.

13. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    There is no such thing as traffic in Sheboygan.....

14. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Can't wait for this we, wife and I go every year. Question... On race day is there a place where the Ferrari guys will park or is everyone just scattered around the track? Half the fun for us is walking around and looking at all the cool cars.

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hmm...no problems around Milwaukee?

16. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Downtown is rough as they are just finishing up the Marquette Interchange but isn't too bad. Just take I-94 north (becomes I-43 north of Milwaukee). I take 43 north to 57, take that to County J (left turn), right on 67 and go for a bit, you are right there.

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    usually there's an Audi corral area, Corvette area and Porsche area at the events

Carol

18. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Thanks Carol. I'm familar with those areas anything for the Ferrari?

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #19 tifosi12, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    No.

LOL

So true. Which makes it very peaceful and relaxing.

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well the weather look great for this week. Should be mostly sunny and
    cooler. Cant wait to get up to Road America. I hope the Aston's put on a good show against the C6R's.

Tom Tanner

21. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    JMHO, but the Lake Street Cafe has become sort of a must go to place in Elkhart Lake for me. Great food in the bar, and a whole different level in the dining room. Try the Escargot Cassoulet appetizer - it's incredible. Follow that with the Tenderloin Shiraz or the Stuffed Veal Chop and I assure you you will be amazed you're in a small town in Wisconsin. And don't forget the wine list, it's well above par as well. (I must admit that for some reason I've never tried the Paddock Club, so that might be good as well.) If you're more in the mood for a burger and a beer though, eat in the bar and don't skip the Cuban Quesadilla - It's great.

Also, if you're looking for breakfast, there is a joint next to the gas station in town on Rhine St. that has great homestyle eggs, hashbrowns, and pancake type breakfasts. Nothing fancy, just as much coffee as you can drink and reasonably priced and plentiful food. I apologize that I can't remember the name, but it's next to what I remember as the only gas station just outside of town.

Also - the old Grainery grocery store has a great cheese selection. Some really nice stuff - way beyond the typical curds and cheddar. A great place to stock up on some snacks.

Ok, you all probably already knew all of this, but I really look forward to getting up to Elkhart Lake a few times a year and these are just a few of the places that make it special. At least for me.

22. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    I am really sad, but it's my grandma's 50th wedding anniversary so I can't really miss that. There's always next year though!

23. Wi_KeD_M5

Wi_KeD_M5 Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    Palatine, IL
    #23 Wi_KeD_M5, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Which btw also won the 24 hours of Le Mans this year...

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Great race weekend!!! The weather was perfect. The new GT1 and GT2 Aston's were nice, but the Ferrari should have won GT2.

TT