Alonso: I'll prove I'm still the best | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alonso: I'll prove I'm still the best

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 62 250 GTO, Aug 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    actually, Franco has a point. since the Canadian GP, Fred has been making lots of mistakes. i think he drove well in HUngary tho.

2. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    Alonso know he was going a step backwards when he signed back with Renault so I'm a bit surprised by his comments.....I mean come on youre a two time recent World Champion for pete sakes :) then again Schumy did just that and won races straight off for Ferrari in 96 with a horrific Ferrari in his hands so perhaps Alonso is not that great in car setup??
    If he had stayed with McLaren he surely would be fighting for the Title this year as well !

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    MS won in 96 because it RAINED and he could have won that race in my family Toyota Tarago ... or just about any car on the grid. It was the conditions that favoured MS and had nothing to do with the 96 Ferrari, other than it kept going.

Through out MS's F1 career he was extremely lucky ...
    Pete

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think that´s not very fair. It seems that you´re forgetting that Schumacher won three times in 1996.

The first (Spain) one ir rained, yes, but he overtook the Williams while they were still in the race. And finishing that race was an achievement itself.
    The second one (Spa) was a strange race of wet/dry track. They managed to maximize those conditions. Not bad at all.
    The third one (Monza); they won because the Williams drivers crashed, OK, but I suppose that finishing that race without crashing with those tyres in the chicanes was not easy, as many drivers had problems with that.

Quite lucky wins, yes, but with hard work anyway. Said that, the Renault of this season is way worse than the Ferrari in 1996, so the comparison is impossible.

5. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i disagree. Suzuka & Spa 98, if he did win those races, he would have been WDC that year. if he didn't break his leg at Silverstone, he could have been WDC that year, and if that engine didn't blew...etc..

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    In his mad rush to cut throats and slash his way to the top, people got tired of being cut and slashed.
    Now we see why there is "political correctness".
    If Ferrari wants him they can get him for 30 cents on the dollar.

7. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    #32 R2112, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
    Just like FA was in 05/06...;) :D

8. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Pete, statements like that one really dont make you look good at all. Arguably Schumacher’s greatest ever win was also his first for Ferrari in torrential rain in Spain.

After dropping from third to ninth at the start, the reigning champion sailed back up through the field picking off the Benettons for third, then second by lap nine before cruising past Jacques Villeneuve for the lead on lap 12. A truly stunning drive in horrendous conditions. Please if you dont like the guy, just say so but dont go telling us that the world is flat. :)

9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    so, does this mean that Senna's last victory was just a lucky one since it rained?

10. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Help me out here. So RD hires for an insane amount of money the former World Champ and then does not give him 110%?
    So what you are saying is that Lewis was outdriving him because the team was holding him back?
    Maybe it was because he was too busy disecting illegal Ferrari information and testing it.
    Maybe it was Ron Denis who had the electric cut-off and was preventing his 110% driver Lewis from Qualifying.

Fernando: Good driver, certainly not one that will go into the history books (not that I can see at this point), lousy sportsman (between the Ferrari debacle, the horrible attitude and his loud mouth)

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    scratching my head.....

so what you are saying is that of the 21 drivers that started that race, which 20 of them had highly developed F1 cars, if you had given your family car to Michael he would have still won that race. In other words, he was such a great driver that even with 20 of the best drivers in the world in the most highly developed race cars this one driver is so brilliant that he could have outran those others with your van.

Not sure why that should be considered luck. I would say by your own argument you are saying he is a class by himself.

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Top half: I agree ... +1
    Bottom half :I dont care what comes out of his mouth, if he was in a Ferrari this year, he would be leading the WDC IMO.

13. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Problem with your post Martin is that it makes sense. The longer you hang around in the racing and tracking section the more you feel like your in the twilite zone. :)

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Absolutely.
    But I'd rather see Force India take the WCC than Alonso in a Ferrari.

15. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Aint that the truth!

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #41 PSk, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
    Gee I wish you so clever people would ready what I was replying to as well ... to get the context.

The '96 Ferrari was not so good, thus MS was able to win that race BECAUSE it rained and you don't necessarily need the BEST F1 car on the grid to win in the rain. He was lucky that it rained, so he could use his wed weather ability to make up for the car. Was not saying MS was not gifted ...

Not aimed at you, but a general comment to the Alonso haters: But keep on bashing Alonso you oh so clever WDC keyboard typers. Not sure why some of you have the hide to call Alonso a bad sport ... should reread some of your posts :).
    Pete

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    MS is gone, get over it. No one else on the grid can drive that car any better than Alonso can.

18. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Except maybe Piquet. ;)

He's only trailing Alonso by 5 points and Piquet has stood on the podium once already. How many times has the "great" Alonso been on the podium this year...I can't remember?
    Kinda strange how a "legitimate" 2xWDC get's beat last year by his rookie teammate and then this year is only leading his other rookie teammate by 5 points??

Maybe I've been misjudging Alonso this whole time. Maybe he's actually a really great guy. It appears he sacrificially makes himself look bad as well as sacrifices his career just to help out the new up-and-coming rookies. :D

Something to think about huh? :) ;)

19. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i still think Fred is the top 3 drivers out there. we'll see whats his next will be when he announces his plans for next season at Monza.

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    One Alonso joins Ferrari, this place will suddenly turn into a love-fest for him.

21. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I don't know. Look at how many are on the other side of the fence about Massa.

22. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Yes, but I can't recall a single Massa critic swearing off support of the team because he drives for it.

I suspect that a LOT of the Alonso critics around here will be suddenly singing his praises once he joins Ferrari.

23. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Maybe...

I for one have never been an Alonso fan and I can assure you I will continue not be even "if" he joins Ferrari. "If" he does join Ferrari it will be bitter-sweet watching each race. Wanting Ferrari to win and at the same time worrying if this will be the race that FA begins to show his "spoiled brat attitude" and begins disrespecting and dismantle the team. Ferrari is my favorite team and will continue to be no matter who races for them. However I will never be an Alonso fan even if he's able to win some races in a Ferrari. It has nothing to do with the team, it has everything to do with him.

Just my .02

24. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You dont have to worry. These guys all thought he would be with Ferrari this year then it became 2009 and now it is 2010. Man will land on Mars before that moron comes to Ferrari.

25. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Do you think that Ferrari has never employed a difficult driver before?

Do you think Ferrari has never had turmoil before?

What I am curious about is how so many F1 teams are lining up to sign Alonso despite the claims on here that he is a destroyer of teams. He "supposedly" destroyed Renualt yet they welcomed him back with open arms and are now fighting to retain him for another season.

I think the criticism on here is wildly overblown, Alonso is petulant and whiny but then again so are a whole lot of F1 drivers. At the end of the day, do you wnat to have a nice-guy, agreeable type who can't finish in the top half of the field or do you want a proven champion who might be loudmouthed? The reason the teams show up on race day is to win. Companies aren't shelling out hundreds of millions of dollars to teams simply becuase the CEO thinks the driver would be a nice guy to date his daughter, they want success on the track, plain and simple.

It seems to me thatr a lot of the hatred on the site is directed at those teams and drivers who have the temerity to actually compete against Ferrari. I, for one, want to see the best drivers in the sport behind the wheel of a Ferrari. I want the team to win by being better than the other guys. A few of the more sycophantic types around here would rather see Ferrari winning by forcing the other teams to race Formula 3 chassis against them. There is no honor in easy victories against hapless opponents, it comes from hardfought victories against worthy challengers. We should be thankful for tough competition, not complain about it.