Alonso, not a F1 great, says Ecclestone | FerrariChat

Alonso, not a F1 great, says Ecclestone

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ecclestone: Alonso not an F1 great

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/652526/Ecclestone_Alonso_not_an_F1_great/

Former owner of Formula 1 Bernie Ecclestone believes that Fernando Alonso is not a legend of the sport due to too many bad decisions made.

Alonso has managed to pick up two world championships, but his last win was all the way back in 2013.

The Spaniard, who is retiring at the end of the season, moved to his current team McLaren back in 2015 and has not managed a single podium finished with the side.

Ecclestone admits that Alonso's one of the best drivers in F1 history but does not think he deserves 'legend' status.

"He is definitely one of the best drivers, but sometimes he made the wrong decisions," Ecclestone told Bild. "He is certainly not the greatest in other areas of life.

"Stirling Moss was never world champion, but he was one of the greatest."

With Alonso moving on from the sport and hoping for better days ahead, his replacement at McLaren and compatriot Carlos Sainz believes that the sport won't suffer from the charismatic driver's departure.

"I'm not afraid of that," the soon-to-be McLaren driver told AS newspaper. "There are a lot of Formula 1 fans thanks to Fernando. It is true that many fans came from Spain first for Fernando but they stayed because they like F1 as a sport.

"Of course there will be people who go with Fernando to Indy, but I think it is thanks to Fernando that there is a very large fan-base in Spain. I will do everything I can to keep it that way."

ATBNM3 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Bernie doesn't see eye-to-eye with most people.

TurboFreak650 and SimCity3 like this.
  3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Bernie sees eye to crotch with most people, apart from Warwick Davis (ewok/various robots in Star Wars films)

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Wait... Bernie is still alive?

daytona355 likes this.
  5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Bernie - stay on the ranch in Brazil and move on. Silly comment.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The man has moments of brilliance.....

8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

"He is definitely one of the best drivers, but sometimes he made the wrong decisions," Ecclestone told Bild.

I agree with this.

chrixxx, ATBNM3, Lotaz and 4 others like this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    In regards to Alonso they, Bernie and Nico essentially say the same thing. If you rate his driving alone then he is one of the greatest however it is not driving alone that makes a career. They are correct and I’ve been saying the same as them. They’ve actually both seen and interacted with Alsono first hand.

ATBNM3, DF1, Isobel and 2 others like this.
  10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Christ, Bernie looks old now, I bet even god calls him ‘grandad’

11. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Great wisdom from Bernie, especially around 17:50. Not much wisdom from Nico, but at least he's listening.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    all I care about, I watch racing for the driving, not instagram

Makuono likes this.
  13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If Bernie were in charge of the UK, Brexit would be done, and the EU would be trying to be a member of Great Britain...... master negotiator. You don’t have to like him personally to admire him in business. He’s a bit like trump - his personal views are sometimes the opposite of polite society (not necessarily wrong though) but he gets business done, and made a success of a big mess.... same as I think trump will do for the USA, sort out the mess it’s gotten into over the years and drive them out of it

chrixxx, fil, Bas and 4 others like this.
  14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Not many drivers could sit with Bernie and conduct an interview without him wandering away inside of 10 minutes, kudos to Nico. Wish I could have heard more pointed questions, his rundown of the teams, drivers, Liberty (his comments were guarded), and maybe word association with past drivers and notables within the sport. Other than that, a solid effort with a mild debate on Trump. Cool. Thought Bernie looked good actually.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Not a massive fan of Bernie, but hard to disagree on this one.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  16. DF1

Applies to any driver. They drive but other myriad influences count as well.

17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    A bit of a necro-post, but I thought dusting off an Alonso thread somewhat appropriate after his work at Daytona.

Some very impressive driving under terrible conditions, pressuring the leader into making a mistake resulting in the eventual win.

As an aside, it looks like he's enjoying himself (other than some mid-race rain-induced tension). Winning is a wonderful tonic.

Isobel, 375+ and daytona355 like this.
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Never confuse "one of the great talents" with "one of the greats".

Two completely different things

19. DF1

Showing all what Vettel lacks. Well done FA. A racer he is.

daytona355, Bas and 375+ like this.
  20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If Bernie was in charge of the UK many of you would be in a gulag making F1 merchandise or doing forced labour resurfacing Silverstone.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  21. DF1

Fernando Alonso has said he is open to coming back to Formula 1, but only to “rest a little” from his hectic schedule.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-ill-come-back-to-f1-to-rest-a-little/

Alonso’s first post-Formula 1 retirement venture saw him become only the third F1 World Champion to win the 24 Hours of Daytona over the weekend.

But the Spaniard is by no means taking it easy and said he is busier now than he was a year ago when he was still donning the McLaren colours.

“I have more to do this year than 12 months ago,” Alonso said following his historic win.

“Of course it will be stressful for those in Formula 1 as soon as the season starts.

“But I have not had a single month off this month, and in February the tests with [WEC team] Toyota start again.

“The Indy programme will also start, so I will be very, very busy until June.

“I did not expect this busy schedule.

“People ask me what life is like without Formula 1 and my answer is ‘Maybe I’ll come back to the F1 paddock to rest a little’.”

McLaren are keen to maintain a good relationship with Alonso, who could hop into their 2019 car at some stage throughout the season and provide feedback to the current line-up of Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris.

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    His drive in wet and dry at Daytona was world class. IMO ranking among his best ever drives.

stavura, 375+, Nortonious and 3 others like this.
  23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hahahaha, he wouldn’t use us to resurface silverstone unless they paid him double the value of the work... hehehehehe. He’d use us all to make a picket line at the gates to prevent silverstone making any money at all from the gp and then charge them to have us leave....... Bernie’s own Cosa nostra

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    +1

Everyone else was "crying" how bad the conditions were.

25. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    His first stint pass on Helio for the lead was great. Sequential tows on the bank.

Helio in the post-stint interview, "The #10 was too strong"

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.