Alonso to Aston | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Alonso to Aston

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nembo1777, Aug 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think Aston Martin, the car company, will go under so easily.
    However it may change owner again in the future.
    In the meantine, Lawrence Stroll must be a hell of a salesman to attract so many investors.
    Apparently most of the new money put in the company doesn't come from his pocket.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Such is the way with super rich people.
    They build an entourage to finance things they are interested in but unwilling to invest "that much" in.

william and Hawkeye like this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Alonso has always moved to teams at the wrong time. He is better off at Alpine and a better chance Alpine will be a front running team vs. Aston. It would be funny if the soda wars took place in F1 and RedBull got some competition from say Monster energy or Pepsi

635CSI and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  4. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I doubt they will go under , will get sold before that after burning through a boat load of cash .
    The issue with Aston is branding , they had the brand and during the last 40 years the brand has been in a steady decline due to numerous reasons.
    I am not sure Stroll is the one who will recreate the brand , he has enough business savvy btu might not have the wallet . I am sure he some skin in the game otherwise investors wouldn’t drink his coolaid .judging by the hearsay on his style of managing the F1 team , he is probably not Aston’s saviour .
    I used to love the older Aston’s , none of the newer cars have peaked my interest .

635CSI, Lusso123 and william like this.
  5. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Ferrari reliability is abysmal, and their strategic team horrible, two things that are a must to be competitive at Le Mans. I’m so happy they are back, but it’s not their strong suit.

william, Nembo1777 and Boomhauer like this.
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Alpine at best could be a #4 team. how does that help Alonso? he knows that so he went for the big payday, as i would too.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #57 NeuroBeaker, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    I did wonder about that. He's not made the best moves over the years, often getting into teams during periods of struggle for them.

That article makes it sound like Alonso wanted to re-sign with Alpine but that they wouldn't commit to him. With the guaranteed offer from Aston Martin, he signed for them. If that's the case, it really seams Alpine dropped the ball in letting Alonso get away - he's been good for developing their performance and getting results.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan made a HUGE mistake leaving Renault, they were building the car around him and they are capable of building a WCC car

Money ain't everything

jpalmito, Nembo1777 and crinoid like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm not seeing that, certainly not in the hybrid era.

william, Boomhauer and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Aston has become the team where drivers go to retire.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Bad decisions, a GREAT driver.

stavura, jpalmito and Hawkeye like this.
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
  13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Absolutely not comparable
    They won the GTE class in Le Mans two years ago with the 488..

ingegnere likes this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    An immense driver!

WilyB and 375+ like this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    LOL

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not comparable.

In the WEC, Ferrari GTEs are entered by a satellite teams or customers, and they don't operate under the Scuderia.

17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Implications for me on the FA deal are they offered FA less money to stay at Alpine. Stroll knows a good driver is needed to move his team forward as they front load investment to be competitive. The future was or is Ocon and someone else but not FA it appears.

Savvy move by FA to stay in the game. His salary is rumored to be the same as Vettel's was @ 15mil. Not bad for driving in circles as a 41 year old man.

ingegnere and william like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I know this either,
    My point was they are absolutely capable to build a competitive and reliable car for a 24 hours race.
    The Formula One PU with 1000hp for 1,6 liters is a different engineering level.

19. DF1

GO FA lol :)

Alpine only learned Alonso had joined Aston Martin F1 in press release

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer has revealed that he only found out that Fernando Alonso had signed to join Formula 1 rival Aston Martin when he read the official press release.

20. DF1

Alpine: Piastri can’t leave us for McLaren F1 seat in wake of shock Alonso exit
    Alpine Formula 1 boss Otmar Szafnauer insists that Oscar Piastri is contractually obliged to drive for the team in 2023 after Fernando Alonso's departure made a race seat available.

21. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    That suggests Alonso, by his own thinking, left a team on the verge of podiums for one that can barely get into Q3. Classic Alonso

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, Schumacher joined Ferrari that hadn't won for years: 5 WDCs.

Also, Hamilton joined a Mercedes team that was mid-field at best: 6 WDCs.

The rest is history.

Not saying that Alonso will win many titles at Aston, but he must see the potential in a team that has invested heavily on staff and installations lately.

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Alonso had/has no driver championship chances at either team, so he chose to drive longer and for more
    money cuz he loves being in F1. i applaud him for taking the better $ deal.

stavura, JotaEle, william and 3 others like this.
  24. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Unlike Ferrari and Mercedes, Aston Martin (Racing Point) have a history of showing Stroll's giant check book and bigger ego doesn't mean good cars. They bought the defending dominating 2019 car, and pissed that away. They copied (perhaps illegally stole) Red Bull's concept and haven't made it work at all. Otmar was a gem for that team, and he left and went to Alpine and that team has made giant leaps this season. Plus I don't think they intend to keep Alonso around for 5 years regardless.

Who knows, maybe the majority will be proven wrong. But at this time it looks like a big downgrade in cars.

375+ likes this.