Alonso to Aston | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Alonso to Aston

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nembo1777, Aug 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Typical Alonso, narcissistic ****

Agent Smith and 375+ like this.
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Why not comparable. The prototype is going to be run by same guys who run the GTs, AF Corse.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Time will tell. I am no judge, but Alonso must have seen his advantage in switching to Aston .

Stroll Sr has invested a lot in the team apparently, so there may be some potential there from Alonso's point of view.

Ricciardo went to Renault on the promise (by the management of the time) of an improvement in facilities, and that never materialised.

Renault/Alpine is always run on a shoestring.

SS454 likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Everything is alright then ! :p

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Alonso the old man that won't retire :p

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Now it is personal lol—

Alpine confident it will beat Aston Martin while Alonso is there
    Alpine Formula 1 boss Otmar Szafnauer believes that his team can continue to outperform Aston Martin during Fernando Alonso’s tenure at the Silverstone squad when he switches camps for 2023.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Alonso is a the original 'smooth operator.'

DF1 likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  10. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alonso-strange-feeling-as-alpine-f1-talks-stalled-for-a-couple-of-months/10357708/

Alonso: "Strange feeling" as Alpine F1 talks stalled for a couple of months
    Fernando Alonso says there was “always a strange feeling” in his Formula 1 contract talks with Alpine for 2023 before Aston Martin’s approach made him feel more wanted.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    By: Luke Smith
    Aug 25, 2022, 4:18 PM

Less than four days after Sebastian Vettel announced his plan to retire from F1 at the end of the season, Aston Martin confirmed it had signed two-time F1 world champion Alonso as his replacement on a multi-year deal from 2023.

It came as a shock to Alpine, who had expected to retain Alonso for next year, and blew the driver market wide open with repercussions for a number of other teams. Alpine now finds itself in a contract dispute with McLaren over Oscar Piastri, who it intends to field next year alongside Esteban Ocon.

Alonso spoke publicly for the first time about the move on Thursday at Spa, revealing he was contacted by Aston Martin shortly after Vettel’s retirement plan was announced. The contract was signed on the Monday after the race before the team “decided to announce quite quickly before any leak.”

Alonso reiterated that his intention was to stay at Alpine prior to Aston Martin’s approach, but that talks were “not moving forward for a couple of months already.”

“It was a logical move to me because Aston was very willing to have me and trust on my abilities on the track and off-track as well to develop the project,” Alonso said.

“In my case also, it felt that after all the negotiations and the months, having the seat available for a younger driver and talented driver like Oscar, it was the right thing to do and a win-win situation it seems for everybody.”

One of Alpine’s reservations in negotiations with Alonso was offering him a long-term contract, preferring a deal that had yearly options.

Alonso added it was not only the length of the contract that was a sticking point in talks, saying it was “also the trust that you feel, and how you feel wanted in a place - if it was just a temporary thing, or if it’s just facts and a time they are happy with.”

“It was always a strange feeling,” Alonso said. “I felt that it was the right decision to move to Aston, because they seemed to really want me and appreciated my performances over the past two years.”

Fernando Alonso, Alpine F1 Team A522 and team mate Esteban Ocon, Alpine F1 Team A522

Photo by: Alpine

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer revealed after Alonso’s exit was announced that he only found out the Spaniard would be leaving when the press release was issued by Aston Martin.

Alonso admitted that Szafnauer “probably didn’t know anything” but said he did tell everyone who had been involved in talks that he was leaving prior to the announcement.

“I informed [Alpine CEO] Laurent Rossi, president Luca de Meo, my mechanics and my engineers before any announcement,” Alonso said.

NürScud and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't know why Szafnauer plays the injured party, when the management had already been told of Alonso's departure.
    Don't they speak to each other at Renault ?

12. DF1

Seems FA was certainly much more 'open' about this than most think. Not a tremendous amount of mystery at all.

william likes this.
  13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    While the car isn't very competitive, I think Alonso is an upgrade from Vettel. At the very least he will be more aggressive and push the garage harder.

DF1 and william like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It looks to me that Renault never considered that Alonso could have a choice , but had to accept their terms (1+1 year contract).

But Alonso looked around, and offered his services to Aston who signed him with better conditions (2+1 years).

Alonso got what he wanted, and the Renault/Alpine management "end up with egg on their faces".

Alonso has never been my favourite driver, but I am happy for him.

Temerian likes this.
  15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Alpine being too clever for their own good. LOL.

william likes this.
  16. DF1

Yes at the time one could think Alpine were correct in the assessment of driving options for Alonso. Logical and complete. Quickly things do change in F1 to keep us on our toes and keyboards lol :)

17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    This is the racer whose driving is exciting to me. And he is doing it with an underperforming car. He'll get a nice payday from Stroll, but will he have a car that will be better than this year's Alpine? Or is Alonzo using this move to show all the teams that he will outperform any car you give him? Is this Alonzo's way of sending a message to RB and Ferrari and Mercedes?

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ...They couldn't care less about his messages...they haves faster drivers

19. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Maybe this is an opportunity to show the world how to spell Alonso.

Hocakes and 375+ like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    None of whom are Spanish . . . ;)

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  22. DF1

I give him 6 months before he seeks divorce proceedings lol :)

Alonso ‘100-plus’ per cent happy with Aston Martin move after first F1 test
    Fernando Alonso now feels “100-plus” per cent happy with his Aston Martin move for 2023 after completing his first Formula 1 test for the team in Abu Dhabi.

23. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what-we-learned-from-alonsos-first-aston-martin-formula-1-test/10403755/

What we learned from Alonso’s first Aston Martin Formula 1 test
    Fernando Alonso wasted little time in getting his long-awaited first Formula 1 test for Aston Martin underway on Tuesday in Abu Dhabi ahead of his 2023 move.

By: Luke Smith
    Nov 22, 2022, 2:40 PM

As 9am came around and the light at the end of the pit lane went green, Alonso immediately peeled out of the Aston Martin garage, running in a sponsorless livery, blank overalls and a camo dazzle helmet, and was the first man out of the pit lane.

He did the same when the session resumed after a red flag for Oscar Piastri’s stoppage in the third hour. But was it a coincidence?

“No,” he said. “And yesterday here, in the paddock.” Again, he was the first man in. Clearly, there was no time to waste.

Less than 18 hours after making his final Alpine appearance in the F1 season finale, Alonso was already starting life with Aston Martin by completing a seat fitting on Monday and getting to know his future colleagues. Although he will not officially start until 1 January, Alonso knew the test would be an important chance to get ahead of the game for 2023.

The primary reason for Tuesday’s running at the Yas Marina Circuit was to sample the Pirelli tyres and help young drivers - not including Alonso, as it did in 2020… - get some more track time. But there were still a few things we could glean from Alonso’s first test for Aston Martin, and some early signs of what we could expect from the new partnership.

Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin AMR22

Photo by: Mark Sutton / Motorsport Images

The first test only further justified the move to Alonso
    When the first opinions were cast about Alonso’s decision to ditch Alpine for Aston Martin in 2023, one of the simplest questions was: why leave a team fourth in the championship for the one in ninth?

Alonso always said it was about the potential that Aston Martin was showing, the team setting ambitious targets under Lawrence Stroll’s ownership. The construction of a new factory at Silverstone is ongoing and, by all accounts, moving at impressive speed. The team recognised where it went wrong with the new regulations, but showed good flexibility in reacting to mount a late charge that left it just a point away from beating Alfa Romeo to sixth in the standings.

Alonso said after the test that he was “90% happy” when he signed the deal with Aston Martin in late July, the lingering 10% perhaps a result of the lack of performance there had been through the year up to that point. “When they started improving and finished the season on a high, I was 100%,” he explained. “This morning, I was 100 and now I’m 100-plus.”

Although Alonso noted the car philosophy was “very different” compared to what he had at Alpine, he did not appear to struggle getting in the right groove with it, saying it was “behaving well”. He pointed out that on his first run, he did a 1m26.6s lap time and joked: “It’s three-tenths off my best time - so adaptation is nearly over!”

Energised by a fresh start
    Alonso will hardly be starting life with Aston Martin at an especially low ebb. His performances through 2022 have been undeniably impressive, to the extent he maintained even on Sunday in Abu Dhabi that it was “absolutely” his best season in F1 since coming close to the title in 2012.

But the frustration over Alpine’s reliability struggles and the impact on his final points tally - 11 points lower than that of Esteban Ocon across the garage - was not something Alonso hid. On Sunday night in Abu Dhabi, he said his retirement from the race due to a water leak was a “summary of the season.” The comment about Aston Martin’s engine mileage being “high by my standards” before completing a 97-lap test shows it is still a sore point.

Alonso’s had many fresh starts in F1 over the past 20 years, but there is a clear energy he feels with Aston Martin. This isn’t like 2021, when he was returning after two years away and needed time to get up to speed. He feels he is performing at his best, and sees the potential around him for the team to go much further.

“I cannot be overconfident for sure, because everything is going to change for next year,” Alonso said. “But the feeling I had today in the garage with the guys and the potential of the team, the talent that I see in the engineering room here is outstanding. I’m really, really, really happy right now.”

william likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    So Alonso goes full circle in green again.....just like his debut with Jaguar.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I hope it will work for Alonso, and Aston Martin, and prove the pundits wrong.

I think the years to come will see Aston climbing in the ranking.