Alonso to participate in Formula 1 and the WEC | FerrariChat

Alonso to participate in Formula 1 and the WEC

Discussion in 'F1' started by RWatters, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    http://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-signs-up-for-wec-season-and-le-mans/

Talk about a busy schedule! If the Toyota is reliable I'd say his chances for success are pretty good.

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess i wont be rooting for Toyota....or maybe i can suport half toyota...

3. Half's better than none.... :)

4. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    Is the fia is ok with this? I thought F1 drivers wasn't allowed to do other series. Since it allows them to basically "cheat" to allow to practice data collecting. I know that teams in f1 don't allow their drivers to race since the f1 schedule is busy and don't want to endanger the drivers they need for the races.

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The FIA couldn’t give a rodent’s rear end so long as they have the qualifications to compete in whichever series they enter.

The issue has been with the teams and their contracts with the drivers. Teams don’t want the added risk of having their drivers race in other, potentially more risky series. (Kubica, anyone?)

Zak Brown stated that he is letting Alonso race in the Rolex 24 and in WEC in order to keep him happy and motivated. Good move in his part if he wants Alonso at the top of his game in 2018.

As for ‘cheating’ by gathering more data from the other series, I don’t buy that. Take Brendan Hartley last year, for example. He told us how difficult it was to shift back and forth between the F1 and LMP1 cars, and cited that as a reason why he would decline an invitation to Daytona this year in order to focus on F1.

Jeronimo GTO, 375+, Nembo1777 and 3 others like this.
  6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That makes sense to me. Alonso is a champion and can't be happy at all tootling around at the back or having to fight tooth and nail for mid-pack positions. He left Ferrari because he was "only" finishing 2nd in the WDC.

I would like to see Alonso in a WDC/WCC capable car again. He was impressive in a title fight.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Jeronimo GTO and Ira Schwartz like this.
  7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Alonso in a capable car is ferocious. The 2010 Driver’s Championship was lost through team strategy at the final race. It was his to win until he was released behind Petrov.

Championship caliber drivers like to win. That’s what they’re in it for. If they can’t win, they will move on. Clearly Zak and the rest of the McLaren brain trust realize that if they can’t give Alonso a chance to win in their car, the only option to keep him motivated is to support him in trying to win elsewhere, when possible. That’s why I say the Indy 500, Rolex and WEC deals are smart moves, in McLaren’s own best interest.

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 1, 2018

WEC eyeing calendar tweak for Alonso

The world endurance sports car championship is reportedly considering changing the date of a key race so that Fernando Alonso can take part.

This week, McLaren announced that Alonso will contest not only Le Mans, but also the full 2018 WEC race calendar -- with the exception of Fuji as it clashes with the US grand prix.

But Spanish reports including the El Mundo Deportivo and Marca sports newspapers say the sports car series is now "considering changing the date" of the 6 hour race in Japan.

Reportedly, prior to the Alonso announcement, the Fuji round was initially scheduled for October 14, which would have avoided the Austin clash. But it was moved so that it did not clash with the 'Petit Le Mans' event.

Now, the Spanish newspapers claim WEC organisers are "seriously rethinking" re-installing the Petit Le Mans clash so that Alonso can race at Fuji, particularly as it is Toyota's home event.

9. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    I am glad to see this and happy to see Alonso doing it. While he has never been one of my favorite drivers, he is hearkening back to the days where race drivers raced cars, different races at different tracks in different classes. It was normal for a driver to run Formula 1, Manufacturers Championship, Indy, CanAm, a smattering of Nascar and even some dirt track. Anything for a seat, starting money and the thrill of it. His future no longer is with F1 (heck, at the rate they are going, I am not sure anyone's future is in F1), so broadening his base is a smart thing to do. Bravo 'Nando!

daytona355 and Finlander like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This is good..he will be able to finally quit F1 and move into WEC full time in 2019.

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The one real racer on the grid it seems. Nice to see him gaining experience and living his life his way.

daytona355 likes this.
  12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 2, 2018

Alonso needs Le Mans to prove skills says Domenicali

Fernando Alonso is racing outside formula one to "prove" he remains one of the world's best drivers.

That is the view of his former Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali, who today is the boss of Lamborghini.

Last year, Alonso contested the Indy 500 and this year he will combine his McLaren duties with Le Mans and other world endurance championship races for Toyota.

Domenicali said: "Fernando is looking for challenges outside of formula one because his team is going through a difficult period.

"He wants to demonstrate his skills, to prove that he remains one of the best in the world," the Italian told Corriere dello Sport newspaper.

And Domenicali said it is clear to him that Alonso remains among the best F1 drivers even a decade after his last title.

"Who is stronger: he or Hamilton?" he asked. "It's difficult to assess. Someone is better in qualifying, someone in the race, someone psychologically.

"Today at the top there are three drivers: Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. The differences between them are minimal and depends on the cars they drive," Domenicali added.

As for the 2018 season, he commented: "I think this year we will see the Ferrari and Mercedes duel again. But you cannot forget about Red Bull who will surely win several Grands Prix."

Finally, Domenicali was asked if Lamborghini might come into F1 any time soon, and he answered: "Formula one is not a priority for Lamborghini, at least for the next five years."

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 5, 2018

Boullier backs Alonso's Le Mans move

Eric Boullier says he supports Fernando Alonso's move into the world of Le Mans racing.

Some believe that the McLaren driver getting permission to split his time between F1 and sports cars this year is the brainchild of team executive Zak Brown rather than Boullier.

But team boss Boullier insists he is not opposed.

"No, I support it," he told France's L'Equipe.

Asked if Alonso simply needs an 'outlet' now that he is not winning, Boullier answered: "It is not an outlet.

"We are in a sport where the driving is reduced more and more in order to lower costs. But the drivers understand that the more they drive, even if it is in other categories, the more they keep up the practice.

"As a boss, I like this argument," he added. "And if you are constantly racing, you have less temptations and fewer distractions."

However, Alonso's 2018 programme really does appear hectic, where just around the Le Mans date alone the Spaniard will be racing for five weekends in a row.

Boullier said: "Fernando is a professional sportsman who is able to prepare for this.

"Last year, Fernando raced on 34 weekends, competing under different names in karting and other series. It's what he likes to do," he added.

Asked if working with Alonso is as difficult as his reputation would suggest, Boullier answered: "Not at all.

"Fernando is a fighter and all champions are never satisfied and want more. It is a positive pressure."

But it might be argued that Alonso's pressure is sometimes over the top, including when he repeatedly complained about Honda's engine over the radio.

"If he had not let off steam, he would have exploded," Boullier argues.

"We are talking about a driver who won two titles fighting against Michael Schumacher, and for three seasons he was forced to cope with the fact that he cannot even fight for top positions.

"Worst still, when your engine doesn't work, you cannot warm up the tyres and brakes, you use more fuel and so have to lift off the gas pedal. It's hard to reconcile a driver of his level with these facts," he said.

Finlander likes this.
  14. All this BS... Who cares?

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Let's hope the Renault doesn't go bang in Melbourne ,otherwise it's back to the same old whining.

16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 12, 2018

Drivers slam Fuji date change for Alonso

Other drivers have hit out at a calendar tweak that means Fernando Alonso can now contest the full sports car world championship in 2018.

Earlier, the McLaren driver looked set to skip the Fuji round of the world endurance series due to a clash with a Grand Prix.

But series organisers have now moved the Fuji date -- making it clash instead with races that affect other drivers on the world endurance circuit.

"It's a shame that a race is changed for one driver when the change hurts so many other drivers who have contracts in place," Alonso's former teammate Jenson Button, now a Super GT driver in Japan, said on Twitter.

Sports car driver Olivier Pla added: "Many thanks WEC, your lack of consideration and respect for the drivers who had a contract the same weekend is unbelievable.

"I'm sure I will be not the only one to be (not) impressed with what you did."

And Andre Lotterer said: "Wouldn't it have been a lot easier for everyone if Alonso would just miss a F1 race? Is that going to change much for him?"

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alonso is not going to test for McLaren in Spain

He's given up on McLaren and wants to do the WEC season well.

18. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    As of right now, Alonso fastest in Spa practice, a tenth and two tenths ahead of his team-mates.

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    :| I'm so excited about this that I could lie down and do nothing....

lorenzobandini likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Heaven knows Alonso knows Spa like few others do.

trumpet77 likes this.
  21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The man likes to race. Good for him.

vinuneuro, 375+ and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  22. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The FIA has a regulation that at least two driver days of in-season testing must be done by drivers with two or fewer F1 race starts...it’s business as usual, not Alonso giving up. It works for everyone involved.

vinuneuro likes this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Vandoorne is testing. Why not Alonso? Isn’t he the most experienced driver? Wouldn’t your like your best to give feedback?