Alonso's last year? | FerrariChat

Alonso's last year?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Apr 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/948788/F1-news-Fernando-Alonso-next-Lewis-Hamilton-McLaren-Lando-Norris-Mercedes-Ferrari

FERNANDO ALONSO is reportedly going to be replaced by ‘the next Lewis Hamilton’ at the end of the season.

Alonso is in the final year of his contract with McLaren and he is widely expected to leave the English manufacturer.

According to Spanish outlet Diario Gol, up-and-coming Formula Two driver Lando Norris will replace the two-time world champion.

The 18-year-old Norris, from Glastonbury, is highly regarded in the world of motorsport.

The Carlin driver was named Autosport National Driver of the Year in 2017 and he is on the verge of stepping up into the big time.

Alonso has grown increasingly frustrated with McLaren for not giving him a car to be able to challenge the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Aren't they coming with car 2.0 in a few races? I doubt it'll be the game changer they desperately need.

Alonso to quit end of season and Mclaren to be contenders next year IMO

ingegnere likes this.
  3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I can't see him leaving the money and prestige of F1 for something like Indy Car, or anything else for that matter.

Alonso is still a great piloto when he has a competitive car underneath him. It must really bug him that he's made bad team decisions while Hamilton has done the opposite.

375+ likes this.
  4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Alonso leaving?..I hope so..he SUCKS!!!

ingegnere likes this.
  5. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Lando and Stoffel would have Mclaren almost on par with Williams me thinks.

daytona355 and Ferrari 360 CS like this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Alonzo and Hamilton should both be forced to drive for Sauber. Then we'll see what they are made of.

stavura, mcimino, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  7. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    After only 3 races so far, McL are 4th in the Constructors I believe. Alonso, as a driver is still right on the button, so I don't see where Norris is going to squeeze more out of the car. Where else could he go as number 1 driver...?....and still earn respect ? He's no chance in Merc, Ferrari or Red Bull.

Best take whatever McL will offer............it's a wage, after all.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They are where they are thanks to screw ups at Ferrari, RB, and Haas. Haas should be ahead of them if they did not screw up the first race.

They are a mid pack team with one of the best drivers in F1. Alonso is waisting away at McLaren -- and he knows it.

375+ and william like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I find the racing in Indy so cool right now, I say screw the prestige, he's already worth many many millions, I think he'll get a lot of enjoyment racing in indy.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A friend of mine went to Barber today for the Indy qualifying. He's never been to a race event ever and had a great time. I think he's better off changing to Indy as well as it seems on the upswing. He won't win another WDC in F1 and it's been ages since his last and probably sucks ending your career that way rather than finishing it off with back to back WDCs.

Bas likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is no way Alonso is going to be racing in Alabama, etc. He may want an Indy ride but he's never going to join the Indy league full time.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    He did come to Alabama last year for the race, though. :)

Bas likes this.
  13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Maybe still a shot at Renault.

375+ likes this.
  14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Good riddance to one of the most poisonous personalities in racing.

furoni likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If he jumped to Renault it would be the greatest insult to McLaren in history.

16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Hopefully he stays for a few more seasons. He still is one of the best.

After Lewis and Vettel?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ likes this.
  17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I bet he has one more stint with renault then retires.

Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Absolutely

19. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    If McLaren is going to sign Norris and not sign Alonso, I don't see an insult to McLaren. Besides, he's left them for Renault before!!

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

F1 does not lack poison at all. None of these drivers in general are out to save the world and do good things overtly. Its a competitve business and I have respect for FA. He is the best driver on the grid and gets more out of a car than any other driver.

Period.

He is the driver Vettel and LH wish they could be in terms of getting more out of car than is possible.

tifoso2728, 375+ and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Never say never. To me, Indycar is the most raw open wheel series around this year.

375+ likes this.
  22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    All drivers inherently are self serving. Some recognize they need to be team builders and genuinely do. Some see the need and don't really get it and yet try. For some, a team is such a foreign thought to them they cannot possibly fake it no matter what they say or do. This third option is Alonso. He is destroyer of all teams. Look at the results. Period. McLaren will have a resurgence when Alonso is gone. Fact.

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They have a super driver in Alonso. Just ask Ferrari and the results there when he took a less than perfect car and nearly won titles. Ask Kimi who was utterly embarrased by him showing what Kimi's real level is. About equal to Massa....maybe. Mclaren will win, if and when they build a car that can win. They have a driver who can win. They dont have anything close to a car that can. Period LOL :) :)

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I didn't say he couldn't drive. I said he is a team destroyer. He is. Absolutely toxic. That's why he fits with the toxic management at McLaren.

25. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    With a name like Lando Norris....

Destined for stardom. :D

Is that his birth name or creative re-branding?

Robb