Alonzo vs. Michael Schumacher | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Alonzo vs. Michael Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by BigWilly, Jul 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    You're doing too much "coulda, woulda, shoulda" and speculating about things. In my opinion, there is nothing on four wheels that would intimidate Schumacher so to say that he would "piss himself" at the thought of driving a turbo-era F1 car is asinine at best.

Career-wise Schumacher > than Alonso...there is zero debate here.

However, in this situation and stage in the game Alonso would make more sense to have in the car, if that's possible. I really, really want to see MS in the driver's seat, though. I have the utmost faith in his abilities even after not driving for a few years. He's just that damn talented.

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed.
    Just the additional wrinkle the silly season needs;)
    At least we have something to occupy ourselves with during the hiatus.
    Forza Massa.

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed also
    Nuff said IMO.

4. MJSpeed

MJSpeed Rookie

Mar 28, 2007
    Weston, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Marcello
    I could easily make the same argument against you and your love of "Mike." For you're sorely mistaken to think that "he and he alone developed that car." You forget that Ferrari won in Canada the year before "Mike" joining the team, in the hands of Jean Alesi. In fact Ferrari was becoming more and more competitive (1995 1 win, many podiums by both Alesi and Berger, they finished 3rd in the Contructors title) before "Mike" joined and yes he HELPED propel it to the next level, but it was a team effort with Jean Todt, Rory Byrne and of-course Ross Brawn, not to mention Luca, Nigel Stepney and others.

Here's a bit of a history lesson if you will:

Jean Todt- One of the, if not the most successful team manager in Motor-Racing. From World Rally Championships, to taking Peugot to victory at Le Mans to taking Ferrari back to the top of F1.

Rory Byrne- Designer of Benetton F1 cars (when they won the titles) and Ferrari F1 cars when "Mike" joined the Scuderia until I believe this year.

Ross Brawn- This guy is the real deal. He took Jaguar to many victories and a World Sport-Car title while under Tom Walkinshaw Racing. The same Tom Walkinshaw that bought stake in the then small Benetton team and brought Brawn in to turn it into a race winning team before "Mike" joined them at the end of the 1991 season. Helps orchestrate Benetton's championships with "Mike" and then goes to Ferrari to take Ferrari back to the top of F1. Since leaving Ferrari one could argue that the Scuderia hasn't been as successful. He joined the struggling Honda F1 team and after Honda pulled out of F1 he took what was left of the team, bought some off-the-shelf Mercedes engines, put two "over-the-hill/past their prime drivers" and is currently leading both F1 championships.

YES "Mike" was a part of making Ferrari successful again, but it wasn't "he and he alone", that comment is just asinine.

5. tessmania

tessmania Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Ireland
    Nobody in the history of the sport dominated like schumacher did. Fact. There were and are great drivers, Alonso included but you must be insane if you can't accept Schumacher was in a league of his own. Head and shoulders above the competition in just about every aspect of the game.

6. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Could be ...but I believe there are many many drivers that match certain aspects of his skill levels...Driving being just one of them. "MS" was the greatest at developing a team to date. No one can argue that. No one in history so far has developed a team like he did, and I don't see anyone in the near future doing the same. This is not a limitation of the drivers out there but an evelolution of the Teams Management. Perhaps maybe Alonzo could if he leaves all the baggage, puts his head down, and does what he is capable of. I think for the most part Alonzo has done this with Renault, but hit the limits of the manufacture in terms of resources...Keep in mind, at Ferrari, F1 is first, every other manufacture, road cars are first. So it would make sense that Ferrari dedicate more resources then anyone else ...Schumacher at the time had no additional drama so he focused his efforts on building a winning TEAM. This is were Alonzo needs improvement, but given a Team of people that would dedicate themselves to the same task, I see no reason why Alonzo could not achieve the same results.
    In the end, Schumacher ended up with a car he was comfortable in, which in turn, gave him the comfort level need to drive fast.

7. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Say what you will about the man but Mr. S. still stirs the passions doesn't he?
    A sign of greatness?
    ;)

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Thanks for the compliments, Franco.

You were talkin' about me, right? :D

9. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Not just a great driver, but a Great Leader.

10. tessmania

tessmania Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Ireland
    #85 tessmania, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    BigWilly I Can't argue with what you say about ferrari and f1 coming first but you have to consider his days before ferrari also. He took a benneton from the pack to win 2 titles and they took some time and resources and change of ownership to get up there again. I just think he had that special talent to make the ordinary or the normal run of the mill that bit better. Don't get me wrong i'm not a big fan or obsessed with him like so many people. I just think that if you look over the histroy and stastics of f1, he was the best of them. Who knows there could be a better driver to come and i'd love to see it. Nothing like seeing a driver master that skill of controlling such machines. People say he was so good he ruined it by making it boring but i'd love to see another Schumacher in action.

11. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I don't think it was fear of anyone... MS had already achieved 7 WDC's, held just about every record there was. I think he earned his status and position. I think it was remiss of Luca to force him into a decision. What more did he have left to prove? When you are on top - and not only on top, but atop the highest mountain there is, where else is there to go but down? He earned a billion dollars, the world was/is his oyster. And he had a nicely humming team that won WDC's like candy. He chose to say bye rather than compromise what he'd built. My .02... I don't think anyone could reasonably say he was afraid. I have no doubt MS would have wiped the floor with Kimi these past years.

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You never know.
    Schumi's departure has always bothered me. Both because I thought he deserved better and because it was a disservice to his team.
    Can anyone argue that the Scuderia's fortunes haven't ebbed since? Its not just the lack of a great driver but also the dissolution of the entire team.
    Had he stayed and raced with Kimi I think that Kimi would have benefited. Not just learning by example on the track but also by Michael's work ethic.
    Besides as we've seen Kimi needs a bit of motivation to get his best results. Who better than M.S. to provide it?
    Isn't speculation fun?
    :)

13. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #88 355, Jul 29, 2009
    NOOOO!....Anyway we will soon see who is better...Alonso all ready to go....or Mike with no in car time in over a year. Ill bet Mike makes Alonso look like a baby. :) Well he is anyway.

14. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher will replace injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa for the rest of the season !

15. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    my mamma always say- "be careful what you wish for- you just might get it". This season just got WAY more interesting!!!!

16. WillSpain

WillSpain Karting

Jul 12, 2009
    Asturias - Spain
    #91 WillSpain, Jul 29, 2009
    Some of you are thinking: I`m Spanish,so I`m fall in love Alonso like driver too much,and "I can not see the reality" by this fact,or something like that,,,
    But,I`m not talking only about Alonso(with S no Z),I also talk about Senna,Gilles,,,I forget Hakkinen,really,and Hakkinen also was better than Schumi at some seasons,yes,also Schumi said,yes.So may be you must be more realistic,like Schumi,and accept when you are the best,and when is other guy.

You think that about me,and I think the opposite: Many of you only has got eyes for Schumi,and talk only about Schumi success:Schumi this,Schumi that,,,

So following your affirmations about Schumi:He was the best driver in the F1 History,isn,t it? and by faaaaar,and with no way to debate that,,,,,Ok you win,if this is your way to be happy minded,for me F1 History pass by far on every one simple driver and all depends of eras and seasons,I haven`t got eyes only for Alonso:

"One time" Fangio,,,,,,
    "One time" Senna was better than the rest(Schumi included).
    "One time" Schumi was better than the rest(Alonso included).
    "One time" Alonso was better than the rest(Schumi included).

Think about the drivers(and SCUDERIAS;before and after of this 3 middle points of the list I wrote there),that won F1 champs,ALL of them was the BEST "one time" compared with the rest,so:
    I,m not folling in love EVER with Alonso,not falling in love ever with Schumi or Senna,or any other,,,,I`m fall in love with ALL of them depending of the time in their professional careers and F1 eras.
    And for me,I told before,have got more rescpect to the dead people who cause of their dissasters the F1 today is a "safe" sport.
    I can not give the same glory to a "real duel with death" F1 race of 50`s,60's,70`s,80`s,,,,,,than now,sorry.

I only going to tell one thing more about Schumi-Alonso debate: If Ferrari make a contract with Alonso for the next season,Alonso had been arrived late to Ferrari team,the era when Alonso must gone to Ferrari was just the year he went to McLaren and must still continue today there(honestly,more champs winned for Ferrari sure).
    Anyway,If Alonso goes in the future to Ferrari I think Schumi will be there to develope together the best car for the season,honstly I think If this happens will be better times for Ferrari(and for Alonso too) than now,If I think this is not about to fall in love with Alonso,is to fall in love with FERRARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ¡¡¡¡¡¡ jejejeje

------------------------------------------------

I knew that,,,,Imposible Alonso drive the Ferrari at Valencia,,,so looks like Schumi is going to do it,YEeeeeaaahhhh ¡¡¡ Is going to be a pleasure see him at race again,we will see what happens there,better don`t speculate.

------------------------------------------------

Yeah,sure I use to much "coulda,shoulda,woulda" but its the easier way for you to understand what Im refering,because english is not my lenguaje and for me is impossible to put there exactly what I thinkin in spanish,so sorry.Also is very difficult for me to understand exactly what means some of the comments all of you put there jejjee.