Alternative to Ricambi for OEM Ferrari Parts? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alternative to Ricambi for OEM Ferrari Parts?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by makethemsaywow, Jul 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Ricambi is always my first choice for all my parts. They are the best in the business. Having said that, I liked T.Rutlands, not sure if they are still in the bus... as a back-up but Ferrparts is ok too.

2. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Frankly, I see accepting responsibility and replacing a defective good as a standard level of service for any business that primarily accepts payment via credit card or Paypal.

I'm happy that Daniel @Ricambi America provided you with excellent customer service. I was asked to expand on my experience and I did. I encourage anyone interested to add their experiences to this thread, as well as speculate and opine on my experience.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Car parts, as many have already stated, is not "any business" in many ways, not the least is, they sell you a part, then you can try to install it. If it's broken during that process, was it defective? Or was it installed improperly? Most parts guys I worked with assumed operator error and were unwilling to work it out. I bought an x-ost from Daniel some years ago, when he was 1st working with them. It took a LOT of wrangling to make it fit. When it first arrived, my mechanic told me he'd have to spend several hours rebending it to get it to go. I called Daniel and asked if I should return it or try to make it work. He said, "Make it work, NO CHARGE for the exhaust, just let me know what was involved so I can decide if we're going to continue to supply that part." It was maybe a $2K exhaust? His main concern was if the part was viable for inventory going forward.

There's no arguing that your experience, as described, falls outside the norm of what most have seen from Ricambi. Not every vendor/customer relationship is meant to be. Glad you could find an alternative that works for you.

Most of us have found Daniel to be pretty damn good at his job.

D

rampante550 and tbakowsky like this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Those guys are bait and switch, Their prices look reeeeeal good, but I got a quote for a heat exchanger and oil pressure sender, and shipping/duties added over $200 to the price! Ridiculous.

@Ricambi America is always my first choice for anything, all genuine F-parts and excellent customer service, with little surprises (candy, hats, etc.) in many of the orders. I only buy from other vendors if there is a significant enough price difference (ie. Bosch as opposed to genuine Ferrari), but most of the time, that includes waiting a lot longer and ordering from overseas. Daniel has been nothing but professional and helpful with everything, and his prices are far, far better than dealer prices. I think some people get confused when they see that a lot of parts on their cars aren't made by Ferrari, I remember someone buying a pressure sensor and got all pissed off that it was a VDO, when VDO IS OEM! I'm sure this guy's "explanation" of the situation is strongly biased to his favor, and this "thread" searching for other vendors is just a passive aggressive complaint.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There was a thread about T Rutlands owner passing away about a year ago or so (I believe it was Rutlands)

6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Ted passed away in 2016. Real cool old school car guy. They were quite the operation for OEM vintage parts too.

7. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I have had good luck with Eurospares in the U.K. Bigger orders and larger $$, can be a good deal even with shipping and sometimes duty costs. At times they have free shipping deals, and my stuff as not taken that long to cross the pond...

makethemsaywow likes this.
  8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes that's the one. Wow, that was 2016? Time flies.....

9. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Having been in the automotive service and parts business for nearly 50 years, I have learned one thing, no matter how good your reviews are no matter how hard you try to appease a customer you just can't make everyone happy, no matter how hard you try. I have learned that when a customer has an issue with either our service or how they were treated, and they have a chip on their shoulder my staff is instructed to pull the original invoice, go directly to the cash drawer and refund every penny of their money. Apologize for their inconvenience, and then give them a Starbucks gift card and wish them a more pleasant day. Then after they have left, notes are placed in our computer base to never offer service to them again.

Now for a personal thought about some vendors here. Some are mentioned here for having cheaper pricing so let me share my tale of disappointment. One particular vendor totally mislead me regarding GENUINE Ferrari parts when I ordered from them. As I stated here on a previous post their gaskets were not in packages and cheap aftermarket, nor were the timing belts genuine. Even though I specified genuine. Again not being a novice ordering parts I make damn sure my order is repeated to me over the phone. That reason is I record the conversation. When I called and questioned why they shipped aftermarket parts, they 1st said that I did not specify Genuine. I suggested I would gladly play the recorded conversation, the tone changed they shipped some genuine but not all that I ordered. So just because they tell you and offer a cheaper price does not mean they will follow though with quality or genuine parts . I am amazed why a person driving a $100.000 dollar car would scrimp to save a few bucks on aftermarket parts. Why buy a cheapo $40.00 timing belt and risk failure and catastrophic damage?

I recently ordered my engine service kit from Daniel. I asked for Genuine, he said everything with the exception of the updated water pump he sells for the 348's would be genuine. Order received exactly as ordered at the price quoted. When the package was received it was as stated genuine Ferrari parts packed with care 100% complete, totally satisfied. I have never been disapointed with any parts purchased from Daniel. What I find it strange is that it was stated he did not answer his phone, every time I have called there the phone has been always answered. I ask to speak to Daniel because he has a 348 and I often have a question or 2 pertaining to my 348. Seems it would be counter productive to have a phone order business and not answer it, just sayin' I'm guessing there may be more to the story that has been offered so far.

In the last 25 years of business I can count on 1 hand the parts that were really defective out of the box. Not knowing what this particular part in question was but I would be suspect of the installer or possible an electronic issue down stream or a missed diagnosis.

Lets be thankful for Daniel at Ricambi for his dedication and service offered to Ferrari owners around the world. Where would we be without him and his company. I can tell you we would be spending one hell of a lot more money keeping our cars on the road.

sorry to be so wordy,

TR0768

rampante550, GSF355 and Dolcevita like this.
  10. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I am a Ricambi fan. This spring I called Daniel to order the major kit for my 348. I wasn't positive which alternator belt I required, so Daniel sent me both at no extra charge. All my experiences with Ricambi over the years have been excellent. I'm very surprised you had a problem.

11. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Update.

A couple of weeks ago, I called Daniel @Ricambi America to extend the olive branch. He picked up the phone right away (called using my usual number). He sent me the defective part (call it "Part A") completely free (he had already refunded me for the previous one I bought, as well). He said he can no longer source Part B, the one that went unavailable during our other call. He declined to sell me Part C.

I received the free replacement Part A. Thank you to Daniel @Ricambi America for that.

I collected quotes from a multitude of Ferrari OEM parts suppliers and ultimately ended up going with Scuderia Systems / scuderiacarparts.com. Here's the breakdown:

Part A: Ricambi $49, SCP $30
    Part B: Ricambi $240, SCP $99
    Part C: Ricambi $85, SCP $53

Shipping: Ricambi $6, SCP $45
    Insurance: Ricambi $0, SCP $9
    Duties and Taxes: Ricambi $0, SCP $12

TOTAL: Ricambi $380, SCP $248

For my original order, ScuderiaCarParts.com is $132 cheaper, a 34% savings over Ricambi.

The big difference appears to be speed. Ricambi promised a 1-week turnaround for Part B to arrive in NC at their location to ship to me in CA (when Part B was available). SCP has promised me a 2.5-week turnaround.

I officially placed my order with SCP on 7/13. I will update when I receive my order and can confirm the Ferrari OEM authenticity of the parts.

12. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am also very curious about the performance of SCP.

We tried them out recently for a ~$145 sensor which required an additional $35 in shipping/insurance/duty/taxes. However, even with this considered, the part was still $30-$40 cheaper than anywhere else.

13. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Here is my 2¢ to this thread. I haven't purchased anything YET from Ricambi but I can provide two instances where he/his company have extended themselves. I posted about the oil pressure gauge in my 2004 360 acting wonky (long story but best way to describe) and he posted in the thread, provided feedback and NEVER asked to order from him or held back information. Two days ago I called (for the very first time) to order spacers for a set of 355 Speedline SL97's I am fitting to my 360. Daniel wasn't in but a lady answered and told me he had something come up and had to leave for the day, but she couldn't submit my order or answer tech questions. However, she offered an additional discount if I wanted to enter it via the website with a note to have him call me or he would the next day. Due to the custom nature of the order I stated I was grateful and that I would call back (sorry Daniel, it's been busy and haven't yet). My point being is that their customer service is top notch in my opinion and I have dealt with plenty of other automotive parts stores who gave me, and others, nightmares over the years (non-Ferrari marque). I don't know if it was a breakdown in communications, maybe he perceived your discussion in a bad tone/light, or maybe it was just one of those rare occasions where it just wasn't clicking for either party. Bottom line, he contributes to parts questions on here freely and his secretary (or whoever answered the phone Tuesday) was incredibly courteous and helpful to ensure my parts needs could be met. It sounds like you buried the hatchet, so to speak, and mended fences over what caused the rift. Often times this can be done without airing it in a public forum. Again, there are always two sides to a story and just happy this one ended on a good note.

AceMaster likes this.
  14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have been on Fchat since the beginning.

Ricambi has been here supporting me, Fchaters, other owners, and Ferrari professionals for many years over untold number of successful transactions. If you do some research you will find that Daniel has helped the aftermarket survive pioneer low volume part replacements that are superior to OEM like tensioner bearings and the infamous 170787 timing cover bearing.

Daniel's positive reputation speaks louder than any words he could post.

15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have had excellent response with Daniel at Ricambi America.

16. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Ricambi ships fast. Pricing is lower than dealer.
    Ferrparts and Algar are second on my list when shopping around.

ScuderiaParts is cheaper, but depending on ordered parts, takes awhile to ship. I waited since May 21st til about 2 weeks ago to cancel an order for the oil sender unit, by that time the company had told me Ferrari shipped the item to UK already and I would be charged restocking fees (~July 10th). Not long after a phone call to a rep over at SCP, I received an invoice on shipping (July 18th). Haven't heard a word since about my refund/credit/invoice. Shipping was $45 USD to ship 2 oil sender unit.

I'd go with SCP if I did not need the item right away and if I could wait, but Ricambi seems way more reliable for customer service and you get your parts fast.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  17. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Update.

ScuderiaCarParts.com shipped my 7/13 order from the UK on Friday, 8/3. I received the package here in California on the afternoon of Monday, 8/6.

The parts arrived in Ferrari packaging and appear to be authentic Ferrari OEM.

The delivery was not subject to any further customs duties/fees.

All communications with SCC representatives were professional and positive, with my expectations properly set and met. Their turnaround time estimate proved to be accurate. There were no surprises.

Based on this experience, I recommend ScuderiaCarParts.com and will use them again.

18. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Wow you shopped around what an amazing concept.

Im not sure why you are so butt hurt about Ricambia but I always check everyone I buy parts from for the best prices.

Also brand new parts can be bad right out of the box Welcome to wrenching.

Your mech said it

I think all the probloms originated with the op here.

Im sure if we could hear the phone call it would be interesting.

Bad mouth him all you want who ****ing cares.

GSF355 likes this.
  19. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    So Ricambi (with no obligation to do so) GAVE you another Part A at no cost. You claim to be grateful for them having done so, yet you then **** off elsewhere to buy your other parts so that you can save a measly $132. You have zero loyalty, yet you expect that just because you bought something, that Ricambi should go out of their way to have you as a customer! You then proceed to post useless updates which continue to suggest that there are better suppliers than the one who just GAVE you a part at no charge and did more than would generally be considered reasonable to try and help you. Hopefully anyone reading your thread can see what this thread really proves... I'd blacklist you too.

Nuvolari likes this.
  20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    well, the user name is accurate. this thread made people say wow.

carguyjohn350 and dm_n_stuff like this.
  21. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    We've been dealing with Ricambi for well over 5 years and maybe have had one defective parts issue; however the replacement was sent without complication. I/we highly recommend Ricambi America - great reputation and customer service that I/we can vouch for.

Also, an old parts manager once told me that you can make 100 people happy and never hear a blip, but make just one customer unhappy and the whole world will know. In Ricambi's case, I guarantee they're past 100 transactions have been "5-Star", however this is the one everyone will hear about.

carguyjohn350, HH11 and phrogs like this.
  22. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    There is another saying along those lines, and pardon the crudeness:
    "A man can build a thousand bridges and never be remembered as a bridge builder. But, a man can suck one **** and forever be remembered as a **** sucker. " I censored it myself btw. :)

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ordered on July 13, received nearly 4 weeks later? Ricambi has parts on my bench in 4 days. Glad you're pleased with your transaction, but that sort of timeframe doesn't work for me.

brian.s and tbakowsky like this.
  24. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would be pretty cheesed off too if I was watching the part of the screen change price or availability right in front of me but even more PO'd if I didn't get a koozie in my order! :) I have had great transactions with Daniel!

25. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    You misread. Read again. Daniel @Ricambi America told me he could not get Part B and he would not sell me Part C. My only option was to purchase those parts elsewhere.

I think saving $132 off of a $350 purchase is significant. If that scales, and I can save $1,320 off of a $3,500 purchase and beyond, I will absolutely have to at least consider going in that direction regardless of "loyalties" to other businesses.

Borrowing a term used above, any business owner that would be "butt hurt" about a customer going elsewhere to save 40% does not have your best interests in mind.

ScuderiaCarParts.com gave me the option of either saving 10% and having the parts within a week, or saving 40% and waiting approximately 3 weeks. I decided to go with the bigger savings and post my experience, determining for the community whether or not it's too good to be true in my specific anecdotal case.

The point of the thread is to determine whether there are any other reputable independent Ferrari OEM parts suppliers since @Ricambi America was not an option for my complete parts list. I was asked why @Ricambi America was not an option and I recanted my experience in an objective and fair way.

@Ricambi America provided me with a free part and I am happy about that. I am not happy about not being able to complete my entire purchase with him, but I did find a legitimate vendor who provided me with a 40% savings in exchange for time as a consolation.

Personally, I am wary of feedback from people who have clearly established personal relationships with members of the business in question. On the contrary, overwhelmingly positive feedback for businesses like, for example, @Rifledriver even when many have had less than perfect things to say about him on a personal level has high credibility to me.