Alternator/water pump belt failure, any theories | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alternator/water pump belt failure, any theories

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pepsi10, Oct 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Are you trying to slip over the tensioner, or a pulley? Can you unbolt the alternator and rotate to allow more room?

2. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I appreciate the ideas.
    I had the belt over all the pulleys but the tensioner. Finally I was able to rotate the belt a bit and get it on the tensioner.

Just have to tighten the belt to the proper tension. And tighten down the hold down bolt for the tensioner.

Question: I do not see a torque spec for the tensioner hold down bolt. It seems like there should be one.

3. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Guys. I was able to get the belts in place. The car is still on jack stands, I have some things left to do. And, of course, I am wondering why these belts failed. So that is a project for the coming days. But I started the car and let it idle for a minute. Everything seems okay…for now.

Question: I do not see a torque spec for the tensioner hold down bolt. It seems like there should be one.

QSA and IvanRico like this.
  4. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Sorry for late reply as just seeing your thread now, and your car is out back together. Anyway wanted to share my personal experience on similar issue.

Did you check the tensioner bolt ? Mine was not broken but it was bent to heck. When I tried to loosen the belt tension the pulley would go into a completely wonky angle, instead of creating slack. In fact the pulley wouldn’t move either direction without a lot of torque on the tensioner bolt.

I ended up pulling the tension off (those 3 nuts were challenging but far from impossible. Once I had the tensioner off I replaced the bearing while I was in there and the bolt.

With the new bolt in, I could then easily turn the bolt by hand and easily got the belt on.

You would be shocked at the design and pot metal used on that tensioner when you have it off. Truly an Italian design.

Question: with the pulley locking bolt loose, was your tensioner bolt hard to turn ?

Pepsi10 likes this.
  5. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Firstly, thanks for telling me about your experience.
    About your question. My tensioner bolt was not easy to turn. With the wrench it was fine, but not something I could do with my fingers. I noticed something disconcerting as I tightened it into position. With each turn, small amounts of metal dust would fall down to the garage floor. It would not be easy to see in a well lit garage, but in my specific situation, under the car, with the light coming from where it was, I could see it. At first I was worried that the tensioner itself was messed up. But I think, like you say, the assembly is a complete piece of trash, and the housing for the adjustment bolt etc. is weak.

I am not worried about it for the future. But not great.

6. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Makes sense. Yes probably just corrosion on the bolt, and sounds like you’re good to go. Getting that tensioner off was low technical skills but definitely a PITA. So yeah since your is not all bent up and cocking the pulley at an angle, should be good to go.

My bolt would barely turn with a ratchet. With the new bolt you could use your fingers until the final tension.

Pepsi10 likes this.