Altissimo door lights | FerrariChat

Altissimo door lights

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Aug 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Those Altissimo door lights (also used as front marker lights on euro Dinos) are supposed to have a rubber gasket between the chrome ring and the sheet metal. I've had no luck even coming close to those lights snapping into place so I went an alternate route that work's pretty well and seems to hold the light unit snugly. I used a section of hose which was a firm push fit over the back of the light and also the bulb holder. You could use a small hose clamp but I see no need for it as it all firmly held together. I will make the hose a little longer than in the picture so all of the white plastic is covered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #2 Nuvolari, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    The rubber ‘gasket’ these lights are shipped with are NOT to be used in the final installation. They are transport spacers that mimic the thickness of the sheet metal preventing the chrome ring from dropping out.

I have verified this detail on a number of unmolested original Dino’s. The correct install is with the metal ring touching the paint. Assuming the area around the hole does not have a thick layer or body filler the lights snap in perfect and do not move around at all.

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had one off a spare original door that had the rubber gasket behind the chrome ring. I had another off another spare door that had been repainted and that one had the rubber gasket as well. That is why I have two of the original gaskets for example. How they put those in is beyond me. Those doors had no protective coating on the inside so maybe that made installation easier. May have been hit or miss at the factory whether they were used.

4. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    #4 npwmd2, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Original owner 04124, my lights never had the chrome ring only the rubber gasket and they fit perfect! Just look at the Superperformance website, it shows the two lights. The side marker light has the chrome ring but the door light does not. Obviously, the USA cars had no side marker light!

5. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
  6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    It must be all over the map what they did with these lights. My '74 07924 GTS had the chrome ring on the door as well as two spare doors I have.

7. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    RB9 I don't think so. My posting speaks for itself.

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    There shouldn't be any need to fit the "hose" on the bulb holder as it has snap type connector near the front of the holder to hold it firmly in place, on my car the front side wing indicators have chrome rings and no gasket.
    the doors have chrome rings and a very thin rubber gasket, from closer inspection it seems the chrome ring and gasket make up the difference from the snap connector to the face of the door skin to ensure a tighter fit. It could be true what Rob C has said, makes sense. I guess the idea is to make sure the holder just stays securely in place and not pop out just as you are slamming the door shut!
    You possibly need new bulb holders which are available.
    Best
    Tony

10. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    RB9, I can not speak for anyone else's car whether original or not. I do know that my car, I have owned since I bought it from the dealer. The door lights never had a chrome ring. If they have a chrome ring why would "Superperformance" in the UK show an obvious distinction! Makes no sense. If you want the original look remove the ring for the doors.

11. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    From the Dino Ferrari Parts Catalog from car 02132

TAV 109, #43 Part # 0200836. Fanale Segnaiazone Porta Aperta. For the door
    TAV 117, #11 Part # 0200835. Ripetitori Laterali. For the front fender

Two different numbers for different uses and the difference is the chrome ring! Remove it for the door.

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I 100% agree your car came without the chrome ring and that there are two different part numbers. But the reality is all these specs for a Dino weren't chiseled in stone at the factory. My late USA spec GTS came with leather seats and door cards but the bulkhead cover is heat stitched vinyl. One fellow was absolutely convinced it couldn't be original and had to be leather as that is how they came from the factory. But it is original to the car and several other owners have the same setup. I guess on door lights we will just have to disagree. At least were are lucky to be discussing the fine points of our Dino 246 and not our classic VW Beetles.

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The reason why Superformance don't sell the chrome rings (and I have asked) is that they are too costly to make and make reselling them affordable and also its not a consumable part so is more than likely you refit / have the old one. I have no idea what is original or not, I can only confide it what I know and whats on my car.
    Apologies to jump across your discussion with RB9
    Best
    Tony

14. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    RB9, my dino also came with leather seats and leather door cards, but above the door card door trim was grained vinyl. What is your point? Believe me, if you have been to the Ferrari factory nothing was by chance. Parts were sourced with specific purpose and placement. You can disagree all you want, but I do not know what other proof you need, two different part numbers, Superperformance, a parts supplier with different parts and my original owner original car. FYI remove the chrome ring!

15. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Tony, Superperformance does sell the chrome ring for the side marker! They are different parts.

16. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
  17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Neal, they do them for the side indicators (markers) but not for the door warning light which I was referring to. Just checked dino parts and their door "markers" have the chrome ring.
    Best
    Tony

18. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Tony,
    Saw that about dinoparts. It is wrong. How do you explain the different part numbers if it is the same part? The two lights might be interchangeable by most people, but if one wants to be correct for a 1972 Dino not necessarily for the late model as RB9's is, the door light had no ring. Although the door light was not part of the change in model between early and late in the US. "Don't Worry Be Happy"

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi Neal, The dino comp. manual says they are both Altissimo 21.1910, from my car both seem a different part!. I said my door light has chrome rings, its used, from what I can figure out, to make up the difference from the snap connector ring on the plastic bulb holder to the inside face of the door / front wing panels. If it doesn't have the chrome ring then its a loose fit.
    Maybe they changed it during production or just differences between Euro v US spec cars, who knows!
    Best
    Tony

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    colour side indicators is orange
    colour door warning light is red
    both have been fitted with chrome rings

original nos Altissimo lights are still available in Italy, often offered on eBay Italy

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    both lamps [door and wing] have 21.1910 stamped into the plastic which is odd considering one is orange and the other is red. !!

Checked mine today and no gaskets in either, it seems like a very thin film of Dinitrol as worked its way onto the inner face of the chrome ring

22. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My NOS lamps had a O-ring between the chrome ring and the red plastic lens.

23. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Further; Maranello Classic Parts in UK has the door light listed with and without the chrome ring. FYI