AM DB9 --- looking to buy --- what should I watch out for ? | FerrariChat

AM DB9 --- looking to buy --- what should I watch out for ?

Discussion in 'British' started by finnerty, Jun 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    What are the known issues to consider with the DB9 ?

I'm already avoiding the MY 2005 due to its known troubles. I am mostly focused on the MY 2007 as a few are available now, and the price is right. The ones I am seeing all have in the range of 30-40K miles on them.

Just want to make sure I ask the right questions and understand what needs to be serviced down the road --- or should have already been serviced by previous owners if they were diligent.

Probably my biggest concern is potential transmission / clutch issues --- as I am sure that could get quite costly in a hurry....... and would be impossible to DIY.

IIRC, I've also heard concerns about the coil / ignition packs being short lived and $$$ to replace. Anyone know the details and typical life / service interval on those ?

Any other "major" things to be concerned about ?

Thanks

2. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    There are no Trans issues with the DB9. Figure $1500 to replace the coils when one or more fails.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Are you looking for a gearshift car, not many DB9's made that way. I have come so close to buying one about 4 times, and then I drive one and just cannot do it. They are very pretty on the outside but for me that is where it ends. Good luck.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    The DB9 is NOT a "sports car" --- it's a traditional GT (Touring) car, so the driving expectations have to bear that in mind.

Even still, I would much prefer a more sporty, true manual (clutch pedal and stick). But, as you noted, they are rare as hen's teeth and I'm not going to spend years waiting for one to pop up for sale somewhere :)

What concerns me about the "tip-tronic" type autoshift system is like all the maker's (Ferrari, for example) early attempts at such ----- they tend to suck.... both in terms of reliability and performance of operation. Also, they are exceedingly expensive to service, maintain, and repair.

They also eat up clutches faster, which is why I asked the question about transmission issues.

Does anyone know the life expectancy of the clutch on these automatic units ?

The cars I am finding available for sale all have at least 30K miles on them, and I am guessing they will all be needing new clutches soon and that the overall system may be due for an upcoming major service ?

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am pretty sure they used the ZF automatic that many brands use, the later model cars had different software that shifted a bit faster but they are true automatics, They are not like e gears or F1 systems.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Gave up on the Maserati?

7. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    This is an automatic trans, not a flappy paddle ala early Ferrari. There is no clutch to wear (other than auto clutch packs), it is a highly reliable ZF 6 speed.

8. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A

My 2005 had 47,000 miles and 7 Track days, my 2012 has 31,000 miles and 5 Track days. No problems with either one.

Joe

psych0hans likes this.
  9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    No, not at all. I just can't find the right one (good spec, low mileage) at a good price. Had a very nice 2014 in my sights a few weeks ago, made a reasonable offer, but the Dealer (used inventory at a Lexus dealership) would not budge...... eventually someone else came along willing to pay their ask, I guess, as the car sold.

I'm considering all the following cars, in no particular order of preference, right now ---

Maserati GT
    Aston V8 Vantage
    Aston DB9
    Ferrari 355

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Respectfully have to disagree guys.....it is really sort of a hybrid configuration and not a pure manual nor a pure auto.

Yes, the unit they used --- the ZF 6HP26 --- is an automatic transmission in the sense that it has a torque convertor, a valve body, and planetary gears. But, it also has a multi-disc ("friction rings") clutch pack that is manually, via an electronically actuated mechanism (when you either push the console shift lever or pull the steering wheel paddles --- depending upon the application), engaged / dis-engaged in order to fully lock up / un-lock the torque convertor when shifted into each of the 6 forward gears.

This same unit was first used by BMW in their 7-series and Jaguar (can't recall which models)......and, they had a lot of reliability and longevity (early wear) issues early on before they finally sorted them out in later iterations.

My question then is whether or not AM also had "teething problems" with their application of the same transmission. I am sure they too have it well sorted by now on their most recent versions....... But, I am looking the earlier generation MY of 2006, 2007, 2008 cars, so that is my concern.

11. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I was looking at stick DB9s too but gave up since I realized they're too big for me and I'm looking for something sportier. Currently considering a V8 Vantage but that's about as GT as I wanna go.

12. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    You are the one who said it sucked like early Ferrari attempts at a flappy paddle. It isn't a F1 trans like Ferrari or 1st gen Vanquish. It is a highly reliable auto trans with torque converter like all other auto trans. Being able to lock it up has no bearing on it reliability...there is no clutch wear, contrary to what you implied in your first post. Why don't you just fess up that you thought this was a electro hydraulic, single clutch, manual trans like the F1.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    As I said I have been tempted many times to buy a DB9 and have driven many of them (including gearshift cars) and none of the automatics felt like anything but an automatic to me. I never researched the auto because as I said it just did not click the right levers for me, but if it was anything but an automatic (the term touchmatic was what they called it I think) I could not tell. I tried the later model cars as well and in the end I ended up buying an i8 I thought I'd get more use out of that car. I didn't and sold it after a year and half. I saw your list of cars OP they seem to not be in the same category, are you looking for a sports car or a GT?

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    You are right --- they are not.

At any given time I generally have 3-4 cars (other than the daily drivers). Some are pure sportscar, and some are more GT. I like having at least one of each, but I don't have a rigid preference either way. For me, it's desirable to "try out" different cars, and marques, that I find interesting or appealing in some way or to acquire and keep cars I regard as "special" or very enjoyable to drive and reasonable to live with long term.

With that in mind, that list is not a mutually exclusive / comparative elimination list for me, and I may very well select 2 rather than 1 from it.

The AMs are on my list because I have never owned one before, and I'm keen to try out the marque. Those 2 models are the ones that I find the most appealing --- for different reasons --- and they also fit within the range of my current budget.

I look at (pleasure) cars like kids..... in the sense, that if you have 2 or more, they quite possibly can be very different from each other --- but, that does not mean you have to choose a "favorite" :).

psych0hans likes this.
  15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well considering I have had 467 (I usually have 11-17 at a time) cars, I do know what you mean. As I said I never pulled the trigger on an AM, for the reasons I stated above, there are better GT cars out there, and far better sports cars. I have always liked Lotus's but I never bought one unit the Evora 400 came out. There is an AM forum that is pretty good (seems even my Kia Soul has a forum these days), you might want to check it out. I don't know what you expect from a DB9, I assume you have driven one (or more) by now so you know you like it. There are a couple of dealers (Midwestern Auto, Miller Motors) that seem to always have used AM's, and they know the cars well, so you can be more assured of getting one in good shape. Good luck. Right now I have my eye on a used MB GT, looks like it is going to be deal I cannot pass up.

16. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Perhaps not everyone likes Astons - but we do. Have two of them. Both open cars. They are an absolutely great way to enjoy a V12 with little issue. They have great curb appeal without any of the stereotypes that can surround other exotics. Everyone loves an Aston! It's the "Bond car" after all. :) In our household, the DB9 Volante is the favorite of the significant other, followed by the DB7. Interestingly enough, the 550 is her least favorite...

71Satisfaction and davidoloan like this.
  17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Late to the party here, but I'll ask what's the status of your search/decision, finnerty? Any news?

You touch on most of the "known issues" of the DB9's. Coil packs, clutch, regular service ...and I'll mention the AC system is important to function fully or it's a costly dash-out repair. I am also among those who's not heard of clutch issues with the automatics, whether they be paddle shift or not, but on the manuals yes, the life-expectancy is 30-40k.

Before buying, can I recommend getting ourself a copy of Grant Neal's 'Definitive Guide to Graydon Era Aston Martins'.? You may know what you want already, but it is packed with excellent reviews, option lists, maintenance and performance information, as well as owner testimonials. You can gain a lot of insight not available in chatrooms. Worth the price.

The MY 2009 got interior design tweaks, mostly dash buttons, and probably engine tweaks. Their price reflects this change in the model.

We own a '07 full manual DB9 and absolutely love it. Why? It looks gorgeous. It sounds gorgeous. It goes like stink. It grips like glue on new rubber. Here in the cold north, it rides a little harsh until the chassis bushings warm up. Below 45mph road imperfections telescope into your butt, but any faster and the ride improves nicely. Its mass is well centered and you feel that carving a quick turn. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy or maintain. We have ours serviced by an independent shop and costs have averaged $1,300 yearly including servicing the TPMS system, replacing a door-hold-open-strut, and a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
    Clutch was replaced by the prior owner for $6,500.
    Coil packs were also replaced by the PO, I don't recall the cost.

I would add another AM to our collection in a heartbeat - probably a similar year Vantage V8 manual. If you like sampling and driving a car for pleasure, it's a great value for the experience. I think manuals are out there, maybe they are rarer than I think. I'll just share the DB9 gets more attention and comments than all our other 5 cars combined.

Good luck, no matter what you end up with.
    - Art

2007 DB9, 6spd manual, Heritage Chiltern Green, Chestnut interior.

Attached Files:

psych0hans, kevfla and JohnnyRay like this.