Am I crazy does anyone else prefer the 360 over the 430 for street driving | FerrariChat

Am I crazy does anyone else prefer the 360 over the 430 for street driving

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I just got a 430 and it is an incredible car. Faster more comfortable and overall more capable than the 360. However I feel like I enjoyed my 360 more with exhaust, try, headers and stradale alignment specs. Go
    I just need to get used to the 430. I found my 360 more raw and go cart like and the 430 feels more like a GT car. I also like cruising around in the 360 more. I have tubi exhaust on my 430 and still think the 360 sounded better. Do I just need to get used to the 430? Can anyone else relate?

sparetireless likes this.
  2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Everyone has different preferences and driving style.

The 430 is powerful and brutal enough where when I'm driving it hard on the street I feel like I'm a split second from dying. And that's what I like in my cars, so anything slower or less powerful wouldn't do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck and recoil like this.
  3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I'd say your crazy. The 430 does everything the 360 does, only better and faster. Maybe you drove a faulty F430?

Now looks are a different matter. I have an F430, but I like the way the 360 looks a little bit more.

sparetireless and recoil like this.
  4. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    If find my manual 360 Modena very nimble and gokart like handling !! I drive with ASR off , so in slippery roads in my country the car is constantly trying to kill me !!! So I find enjoyment in the process flooring the throttle in 1-2-3-4 gear and immediately applying opposite lock to save the car !!

When I drove a F430 in the track I found it more powerful (the 360 could not drift as easily on good track asphalt as the F430 due to lack of torque of 360 engine) but I also found the F430 less connected and heavier !!!

The sound from the outside i think the F430 has more bass, but the Euro spec 360 with factory exhaust is the best sound !! First you hear the metallic intake sound and as soon as you hit 4000 rpm under load and the variators change and the exhaust valves open... pure heaven !! Especially when you start spinning the wheels and you hit red line and the engine is screaming and you are trying to apply opposite lock to save the car !!! You feel each time like a hero !!!

vrsurgeon and Walt Gamble like this.
  5. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have to agree with BlackTop. I found a major difference in test driving multiple 430s. I was quite amazed at the varying degrees of power, torque, and F1 shifting feel.

After test driving my first one, I almost didn't buy one at all.

Steve

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  6. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I didn't like the first one I test drove either. I eventually bought the fourth one, which happened to be a 2005. Go figure.

recoil likes this.
  7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Had a 360 now 430. 430 imo is my choice

whatheheck and Bob in Texas like this.
  8. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    If I wanted a flappy paddle car the choice would have been harder, but going for a gated it was easy.

In general I think cars are more fun driven somewhat near their limit, and I think the 430 with a much higher limit would be a lot harder to get in the fun zone outside of a track.

Lastly let’s be honest the 360 is better looking.

sparetireless likes this.
  10. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    If a F430 feels like a GT car the 458 will feel like a family sedan to you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Makuono likes this.
  11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had 3 360's& 2 430's (a gearbox car in each), I like the look of both but I find the 430 to be a much better all around car. Both the of the cars I've owned (360/430) in the last 4 months had aftermarket stuff on it, but the 430 sounds better. I like the steering in the 430 (it feels much quicker to me), and it in my opinion easier to put where you want it to go. Since I also have a 4C, raw is something neither car was in comparison, but the 360's cabin (this of course depends on how well your car is optioned) can look a bit dated. Though I saw my old 360 Spider (gearshift) on Saturday and it still looked amazing, I must say I did well when I spec'd that car, and I'm glad to see it now has a great owner, who I met for the first time on Saturday. I have driven (and have owned) a lot cars, sometimes I have memories of them that were more about me than the car itself. I have some very good memories of my 430 coupe gearshift car, but once I had the chance to drive my new 430 F1 coupe (my 06 was pretty much stock), I realized that this car is a lot faster and is dare I say this (from a die hard gearshift dinosaur) better suited to the F1. I never thought that (still don't) about the 360, and if I ever bought another it would be a gearshift only.

recoil likes this.
  12. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    CarGuy007 - I know exactly how you feel. I had it worked out with the dealership as far as trading my 360 (plus a check) for a 430. They moved cars out of the showroom to get the 430 out for me to test drive. While driving the car, I looked over at the car salesman and said "man I hate to tell you this, but I don't like the 430" It was like driving my wife's Maserati GT but without all the weight. For me it was just too refined and did not have that "rawness" of the 360. Each is own - but I do understand how you feel.

13. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    This sums so well the thrill of driving a Ferrari! :)

mkzhang likes this.
  14. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No. You're not crazy. Many people even prefer a Honda Accord to an F430. Others prefer Justin Bieber to Led Zeppelin... while driving their 360s. Just kidding.

Personally, I can't think of a single thing of the 360 that I prefer over the F430, and I think the 360 is an awesome car. The F43 is just "awesomer".

recoil likes this.
  15. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I definitely am amused by everyone's contributions. The 430 is clearly a better car. It's just not raw when you are not wailing on it and my 360 felt like a race car at any speed. Perhaps I need an s-line exhaust and headers:)

The 360 was modified and the 430 is stock. It actually only has tubi end pipes with x pipes on each side so not sure how great it sounds compared to stock. It's defitely loud.

16. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    No doubts the F430 is a better car all around. In the end it's an improved 360 with a new engine.
    But in the end we are all different and as someone else said personal preferences can vary broadly.

One thing IMHO on the 360 is anyway far superior... the engine note. You simply can't beat the 5 valve engines.
    Yes every F-Car sounds like heaven, but the 5 valve are the 5 valve.

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not crazy at all. most enjoyable street car i own is a modified 2017 fiat 500 abarth

18. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Could it be you are just more comfortable withe the 360?