Am I crazy for thinking I want a Aventador SVJ rather than a Pista? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Am I crazy for thinking I want a Aventador SVJ rather than a Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I'm not sure how the market will be for a 488 pista. Theres been quite a few review that have been pretty harsh on it. A lot of dealers told early 488 buyers they will experience almost zero depreciation because that's how the 458 market was. Early 488 owners have reported a 100k hit in 2 years. If the 488 pista is anything like the 488 market it's not going to be pretty.

xfrgtr and IPO1 like this.
  2. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Rumor is RWD and very limited possibly numbered performance variant of the Evo but it won't happen for a while. Also expect a hefty price tag as well. The Performante is a good buy.

3. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Please link me to those reviews.... (aside from the laughingly stupid EVO review that rated a FORD FIESTA above it).

Every review I have seen has been immensely complimentary! Did you not get an allocation?

stavura and 09Scuderia like this.
  4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone who doesn't think the Pista was extremely well received by the press is apparently someone who didn't get an allocation, according to dmark1. :rolleyes:

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I had an SVJ allocation and also passed when I was told the number to be built. I then shifted my interest to the Roadster but couldn't get a definitive answer so I lost interest - probably for the best. Now if I had been given a Pista allocation without the Lusso it would have been a done deal for me. I love the looks of the Aventadors but I am certain the Pista will be the better driver and it is just beautiful. If you are basing your decision on economics I think it will be a crap shoot either way but I would favor the Pista to have better value over 24 months.

Thecadster, F12JAJ and Boomhauer like this.
  6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    No way you would want a SVJ, as Lambo makes a joke of it... Wait soon enough and there'll be a SVJK version with sharper lines and 18 more HP, that'll be followed by the Final Edition with 25 more HP than the SVJ.

Go for a Pista, way more special, has a transmission that won't annoy the piss out of you, and no series mockery by Lamborghini.

7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #58 IPO1, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Right. Well I agree in Aventador the trans is a joke.

But if you don't think Ferrari isn't ready, willing and able to **ck every last customer out of every last nickel on the the super special last edition this that or the other 488 you're smoking something. They are going to suck every drop out of that Ferrari/Dodge/Fiat nipple they can and then try and squeeze it until blood comes out. It's the public company thing to do.

Then refresh this model or that based upon 488--last edition--Pista--Super Pista--V6 Pista Limited--Last of the Last, BB but then that's it we promise...fu**--give me a break. Ferrari is reaching and extending until they can really design something 'new' from ground up--no parts bin BS.

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    DMark...on target like always.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree. I had one of 150 Super Trofeos and it still fell in price by $60k in 2 years I had it. Limited edition Ferrari’s seem to always hold their value and are above all other normal depreciation curves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Why is it always about depreciation? If you’re that concerned about this might I suggest you shouldn’t be playing on this field anyway? Honestly the entire “buy it and park it to keep the value high” mentality is ignorant and stupid. Buy a ****ing poster and a Certificate of Deposit instead you will sleep better.

These cars are meant to be driven the ever loving snot out of. After that, in a couple of years , trade for another faster, cooler one.

You can’t take it with you. These come under the heading of “entertainment “ , not “investment”. As always, in my opinion.

11. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Agreed. I do acknowledge that depreciation is a factor because large sums of money are involved. We didnt get to the place where we are able to purchase these vehicles because we burned through money senselessly but there are better places to park your money as an investment. These things need to be driven and enjoyed.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The purchase of an exotic car is based upon emotion and then buyers spend excessive time and energy attempting to justify it by logic. Cars, with precious few exceptions are depreciating objects that are exceptionally imprudent financial expenditures. For those who prioritize rates of depreciation and future value in choosing their 350K-500K purchase, is defeating the entire purpose these cars exist. They are meant to enhance ones enjoyment of life, which should be derived primarily by their raison d'être, namely driving. Endless discussions about depreciation not only diminish the fun factor in owning exotics, they are counter productive in enjoying them.

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sounds about right....Perf fell $30k after 1 year

Sent from my 16M

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Agreed. Entertainment = priceless. I’ve never seen a Brinks truck behind a hearse. Who knows what tomorrow brings ? Best to enjoy the moment while you can. Kirk

Thecadster and sampelligrino like this.
  15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Funny, depreciation is the most commonly discussed topic on Fchat vs other car forums. Lambo owners don’t seem to discuss this nearly as much. I think some are more sensitive to it than others but we are all cognizant of it.
    I love driving my cars with full enjoyment, especially with my kids as copilots. 18k miles on my 16M, 9k Miles on CGT ...values dropping? No matter ‘cause they are keepers. Would love to pass them on to my kids.
    However, I too hate to lose $ on new car fallouts. Perf I didn’t fall in love with, depreciated some, selling it, moving on. And the cycle goes on.
    Bottom line, people don’t want to lose a lot of money.

Sent from my 16M

Thecadster likes this.
  16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What did you not like about the Performante? Did you have a coupe or Spyder. I have a Spyder on order to be delivered in May, looks like a beast...(btw I am 5'11" so I fit in it a lot of people don't, and yes I ordered the comfort seats lol).

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Dealer can adjust seat for slightly more room. You may not need it, but helpful. Also, exhaust can be opened up a little (stock).
    Fun car for sure. Doesn’t have the F cache, but also not a 1%er d bag association some people apply to F owners.
    What color you get?

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I ordered a special color (ad personan) called Blu Nethuns
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Loxo likes this.
  20. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    That's going to look good Mark. Tell Tim to tell Chinca at Lambo factory to hurry up and get that built so I can see it before you pick it up.

dmark1 likes this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    It’s a fantastic car all around, no doubt. I have a coupe in Verde Themis. The brute power and NA V10 sound is exhilarating. Braking is direct and responsive.
    My personal disconnect was with the handling...there was a little too much technology invading the “feel” for me. I am used to the direct feel of a Lotus on track, and even the Scud and Speciale have a more direct 1:1 handling response. I don’t know if this is the magneticorheological suspension (I purposely did NOT order the LDS -dynamic steering) but the steering felt a bit numb and electrical for me.
    One more point, the DCT is TOO good in the HP, it is seamless - feel like flying on a Jet very quick with no feedback in gear changes. Some like this.
    I prefer to “feel” the gear shifts and was pleasantly surprised by the Speciale. I love that you can feel the gears shifts slightly, but I truly love the SFII 60 ms shifts in my 16M.

So I guess I am one that appreciates the end of the era....love “antiquated” SCT’s (even in my MurcieSV I appreciate it, when everyone mocks it). Love the direct steering in a Lotus and CGT. I will be collecting backwards now....would love a 599 GTO and ultimately an F40.
    View attachment 2662954

Sent from my 16M

22. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agree with you 100%. To me enjoyment of the exotic partially comes from not losing half the $ I paid for the darn thing. So deprecation is always part of the equation unless u r a Lambo owner, then it’s just a crap shoot, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plastique999 and Thecadster like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    As super cars become more technologically advanced, they are becoming more digital, and less analogue in feel. The mechanical element is being eroded in favour of greater electrical and digital interspersion between the driver and the car. The intimate connection to the car that was so prevalent in the past is being replaced with varied forms of digitally enhanced driver's aids that make modern cars undoubtedly more capable, faster and easier to navigate. However, there is certainly less driver involvement and noticeably less feedback on all levels of driving dynamics.

Plastique exemplies the preference for the era just prior to this evolutionary movement towards objectively "superior " cars. However, those days are gone forever. The current crop of super cars have eschewed subjective inaccuracies and driving idiosyncrazies in favor of an objective slanted approach to performance. In my view, this trend has moved in that direction excessively. While the 720S is an extremely capable, speed demon of modern technology, it has lost some of the magic inherent in the "old school" approach. It is very smooth, compliant and comfortable and can easily function as a DD. For many, it comports with the characteristics they desire in a super car. While the 488 differs in personality to the 720S, based soley on performance and driving dynamics, the 488 is a completely different animal to the Speciale, Scuderia or a CGT. The Performante, is a long shot from the latter group of cars and more aligned to the new breed, but it is more in their direction than the 720S and 488. The engine sound, the enhanced suspension feedback coupled with a rawer demeanor, provides a glimpse back to the past.

The ultimate choice on which car fits ones overall preference and priorities will be wholly subjective. There is a new evolving trend in the super car world that offers a very high caliber of performance and quality. For some like Plastique, the cars of the last 2 generations, will provide greater driving satisfaction while many others will prefer those currently available or for those sufficiently fortunate, examples of both will be owned.

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yeah I deleted the stripes on mine and just had the factory paint the "performante" on in black (normally its a sticker). Also I went with the yellow stripes in the interior like the launch car had.