Am I mad ? | FerrariChat

Am I mad ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Porker993, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Porker993

Porker993 Rookie

Oct 27, 2018
    Uk
    Full Name:
    Kevin Priest
    Hi all
    Ive only had my 95 manual pre airbag 355 berlinetta for around a year and while surfing like you do have seen a lovely 430 manual red/tan .
    A few years back I sold my lovely 993 for a 12 year newer 997 , thought I was doing the right thing anyway after time I found although technically better the 997 was a bit boring with no character .
    What I am trying to ask is will the change from a 355 to a 430 be similar ?
    Cheers

2. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Enjoyment is subjective, drive it yourself to make that decision. However in my opinion, it is probably going to be a comparable situation of selling a 993 for a 997, both good, just a different type of good.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Only you will know the answer to that question. Test drive a 430.

308 GTB likes this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    We’ve all been there... so no worries

And yes, you sir are currently mad. It will pass.

Robb

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Depends what your looking for. You may not know without a test drive. But I have read many a post where folks did it and either went back or wish they had not down it. It's likley not in all cases but it's hardly a slam dunk to go to a 430. Oddly I like the 360 better myself. Test drive and decide yourself. You may find it has lots of what the 355 has.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    The key for me is the “manual” feeling. I went from 355 manual to 599. The later is a monster but nothing like the 355 cornering, stick it in 2nd gear and go. I am seriously thinking of going back if I can buy my 355 back again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I think that is a spot on analogy... I say this as someone who owned a 993 and 997 at the same time for years and when I eventually needed to make room in the garage, I let the 997 go and still have the 993. Both great cars - it depends on what you like.

For me, cars like the 997 and 430, while perfectly fine, are a bit in no mans land. They're not quite old enough to feel very different from present day cars (that 'analogue' thing but also the sounds, smells and packaging of the 80s and 90s era) or evoke much nostalgia. But yet, they're too old to perform competitively with modern day sports cars - a new 992 or 488 would trounce them and there are even hot hatches, SUVs and 4 door sedans that can give them a run for their money.

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've had a 993 and currently have a 997.2. Actually drove a 993 hours before buying the 997 just to make sure I was making the right choice. For a daily driver I think I did. For just a weekend car I think I would prefer the 993.

Not like the 993 or 997 naturally aspirated cars (aside from GT3) were ever super fast, even when new. I think a base 3.6 997.2 Carrera is similar in performance to a base 3.4 991.

Of course they are all faster now being turbocharged.

In fact most everything being forced induction, including the hatches SUV's and sedans was a big part in my decision towards the 997.

As for the 355/430 scenario. I would not trade my car straight across for a 430 manual but that's just me :)

9. Porker993

Porker993 Rookie

Oct 27, 2018
    Uk
    Full Name:
    Kevin Priest
    All your comments have been a great help .
    Robb reply made me laugh .
    I used the 355 a few times this week and it ticks nearly all the boxes , I am gonna stuck with it .
    Thanks .

308 GTB and Robb like this.
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The more time you see your car, I think you’ll find that in looks, nothing can really compete. Is the 430 a nice car? Yes. Is it as stunning to just look at... well no.

Grass is generally not greener.

And how much performance is enough? On the street, the 355 is pretty great. Just spend a little extra cash on a capristo...

Robb

GerryD likes this.