Amazing. Still so few 456M 6-speeds available for sale | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Amazing. Still so few 456M 6-speeds available for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 348SStb, Jan 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    PTC- Welcome to the forum and that sounds like a really nice car. Lower mileage than my 575M. Please post some photos so we can ooh and aah over your car.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

2. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    PTC, i know the car you're referring to. I believe it was involved in a head-on collision and.. just kidding. gorgeous car. you are right, I don't recall seeing a more pristine 456. love the piping on the seats.

3. PTC

PTC Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Peter Timan Clark
  4. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    #54 KeithS, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congratulations PTC.

I bought my 456 last June, different color , but otherwise about the same. 17,000 miles. I have put on 9,000 since then. Love the car. Drive it and you will too. That one is a beauty.

Keith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Peter- Very nice. Let us know when you need another remote fob. Check and make sure you have the PIN for the Alarm ECU. Minor detail on enjpying your new car.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. PTC

PTC Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Peter Timan Clark
    Thanks Taz and Keith - I'm pouring over posts/comments across all threads, wonder from both you and others -- what are telltales with timing belts? -- not my case here, but if you are without records, are you idling rough?, are you smelling warm rubber?, when/how beyond checking with the Staeger (which could be next purchase if I find one) do you know it's time? Will likely introduce myself to Bill Pollard of SportAuto in CT for service and really want to watch/learn/photo when the job gets done. Hope is to drive thru July/Aug/Sep, and put it to him then for hoses/gaskets/etc... Thoughts? [email protected] or here great, thx.

7. PTC

PTC Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Peter Timan Clark
    You lucked out with color. My 1st choice was Pozzi or any blue, 2nd choice was any shade of Burgundy -- darker better -- and just couldn't get there on any other colors. It was the M that I was after, so I just said "Fk it" to waiting on a blue one.... Your paint looks fantastic, thx for that shot.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Peter- For the belts, none of the above. The belts typically lose teeth on the inside when they fail, or the tensioner bearings fail, and that is unhealthy for that bank of cylinders and up to 24 valves. Ferrari's recommended interval for belt changes is 3 years for the 456 and 550 and 5 years for the 575M. If you have no records, the best thing to do is slowly but surely do all the maintenance normally required. First change all fluids and filters. Not too expensive and helps with peace of mind. Next change the cambelts, tensioners and auxiliary belts, with perhaps a valve clearance check thrown in. Then align the front and rear ends. Slowly but surely go through the other 1, 2, and 3 year checks, assuming they were never done. Once everything is up to date, you have restarted the car's maintenance clock and you can just keep it up. By the time this is done, it will be time for the 15,000 mile check, but do not duplicate anything you did between 13,900 and 15,000 miles, unless the year interval occurs. There is no "major" on the 456/550/575M because the engine never needs to be removed for routine maintenance. Have a compression check done to ensure you do not have the dreaded valve guide wear problem. Your 1999 M probably has the bronze valve guides that have caused problems on some, but not even close to all, 456/M cars. Odds are your low mileage car will never see this problem if properly maintained.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. PTC

PTC Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Peter Timan Clark
    #59 PTC, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010

10. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    May I suggest installing an x-pipe? Larini (offered by sponsor Ricambi America) make an x-pipe for the 456 that will improve the quality of its sound 100%, IMO. Combine it with your Tubis and you'll have a GREAT sounding 456!

11. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Dave, are you still looking? I haven't come across anything of interest to you, just curious.

Derek