Amber slow down light F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Amber slow down light F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by vv23, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Sorry--the solenoid relay...I should have said just RELAY. Got the red one for $25 new.

2. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Lol. Oh ok I just paid $900 for a solenoid yesterday shipped from Jersey my independent is doing the job.

3. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Was your issue resolved from bleeding the system?

4. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    No--I bled the "easy" ones....I know there are bleeders on the actuator, but before I got to them, I replaced the pump electric drive motor--seems to have fixed it. I believe the issue is/was heat related.

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great info. Thank you for explaining.

6. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    My 05 is getting solenoid replaced now.. Same symptoms "slow Down" then f1 light and no Gear change. Got worse so I brought it in. I thought maybe air but finally got to the bottom of it. The solenoid bad which apparently makes the pump overheat and then it goes into limp mode.. Not sure if I got that exactly right but that is pretty much what I was told.

They said actuator is good, pump is good, I know f1 lines are good so Hopefully this fixes it..

7. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    UPDATE: Running well now. I'm hoping that did the trick. They really spent time diagnosing... As stated earlier they didn't want to just throw parts at it and not solve the issue. My mechanic drove it about 60 miles (after he asked me lol). Then I drove 25 miles home.. Perfect drive no issues

8. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Great news Greg--hope that did it.

9. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Thanks! I will update here!!

10. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Hi guys

Just to touch on this. The problem was fixed by replacing the ediff solenoid.

Same time I replaced the relay and brake switch and got the relearn done for the actuator.

Everything is perfect now.

Thank you windsock for all your help

11. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I made it about 500 feet down my street this morning and the amber SLOW DOWN / E-Diff / Manettino / red transmission lights all lit up. I shut it down and tried to restart. Car won't go into gear nor will the engine even start up in neutral. Waiting on a tow right now.

12. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Does your pump prime when you open the door?

13. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I don't remember. It's at the shop right now. I want to say no.

14. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Rick, please let us know what it was.

15. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Right my my tech thinks it is an electrical issue. The combination of warning lights is non-sensical and Leonardo is reporting battery faults on some channels but not all. Battery checks out OK. Could be a wiley ground?

The weirdest warning light is the "Driving mode switch failure." Look it up in your manual. I've found one other thread on the issue which seems to imply that the contacts in the steering wheel can malfunction. Might explain some of the issues...

Most troubling is that the motor won't even try to turn over despite being in neutral and passing the self checks when the key is turned. It started once after I shut it down on the street, but subsequent attempts at getting the car to start didn't work. It's like the starter button isn't connected to anything -- doesn't try turn over or make any noise whatsoever.

Very strange. Car went from 100% OK to completely bricked in the matter of seconds. I was driving the car the prior evening and the car ran great. I'll keep the thread updated as I know more.

16. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    When the ediff warning comes on it doesn't allow you to change driving modes, so the driving mode switch failure isn't actually a failure, it's a safe mode. If that warning came up on it's own that would be a different issue.

John

17. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Oddly enough, changing driving modes actually does work. The mystery deepens...

18. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Update: focus is now on the F1 pump motor. The system is *not* priming when the door is opened. Relay is functioning and the F1 pump is receiving power. My guy is going to try to source one today. Hopefully they aren't too expensive. We're going to replace the relay at the same time just to be safe.

19. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    I got a new F1 pump on eBay for $425.

20. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That's great news! I was thinking more like $1k.

21. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    At dealer maybe........when I bought one maybe 6-months ago, there were several for sale below $500.

22. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Appreciate the data points.

23. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Thats a fantastically descriptive picture message isn't it? I had the same error. Check the connector to the ABS unit in the front trunk. I had disconnected all ecu's for TIG welding and failed to properly reconnect that one, caused the same error. On a Scud just disconnecting the shock switch in the center console will also cause the same warning.

Because its easy and cheap I always check the switch/ecu connectors and grounds on a malfunctioning system 1st. has saved me more then once.

24. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    also abs fuse

25. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Update: F1 pump came back alive after a few enthusiastic taps with a hammer. Got the car started up and it was actually moving under its own power. All the warning lights went away. Conclusion: F1 pump is ****ed.

We decided to replace both the motor and the actual pump itself (instead of just the motor as appears to be common). This is the replacement that we are going with:

Ferrari 430 F1 Pump Electric Larger Updated Version Part 214267 | eBay

Unfortunately it does not end there. My clutch is all chowdered up. I'll take some photos once we get it out, but needless to say its pretty obvious even looking through the inspection plate. The springs that run along the OD are snapped. Literally broken.

The car only has about 25,000 miles on the clock. The owner before me lived in San Francisco, so that explains the short clutch life.

ETA to have the car back is next week.