Amelia Island Concours D’Elegance - 2022 | FerrariChat

Amelia Island Concours D’Elegance - 2022

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Aug 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Now that Pebble Beach is behind us, it’s time to think ahead to the east coast crown jewel on the concours calendar.

https://www.ameliaconcours.org/

Hoping that travel restrictions will be eased soon so our friends from abroad will be able to be a part of the show next year.

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  3. Sba1

Sba1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spencer Andrews
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Will be interesting to see how things will be impacted under new ownership.

5. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    i have heard (3rd hand) that they are going to point judging.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    There’s variety of point judging procedures.
    Did this “3rd hand” reveal which procedure will be used ?

7. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    ICJAG

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, I guess that settles it then (?).
    Although, it can make one wonder, how authenticity/correctness is judged on racing cars, etc., but perhaps they (too ?) have enough available judges who were involved with such cars during their "active" period.

colombo2cam likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    ICJAG was started by the founder of IAC/PFA and is a nearly identical system. IAC/PFA is Ferrari specific but ICJAG is multi marque. It is what we were supposed to use at Ferrari 70th but really didn't.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have judged a lot of race cars.Just requires more study prior to the event.

I work on Ferraris every single day and I would not dream of showing up to judge without extensive prior study. It is why we are told in advance what specific cars we will see. Any judge not doing that is a poor excuse for a judge and will not be on my team twice.

11. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Timo,

At the advice of David Smith and David Carte, I spent a lot of time and research effort in compiling my "Black Book" of every significant piece of detail I could find so that when it became time to face the fully qualified judges at Pebble Beach I was as prepared as I could be. The book documented every detail that history research could provide and was immediately available to answer the many questions the judges had. For example it had the photos of the grape canes which were under the aluminum seat surround. One photo shows the book being used at the judging. It must have kept them happy as the car was judged as "perfect", 100 points.

Best regards,

Robert

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I lack the extensive judging experiences you and many others have, I do recall my first invitation(s) for such many moons ago and specifically wondering out loud at judges meeting (in the morning of) why weren’t we notified ahead of time which class we were expected to judge so one could research/study up on authenticities of models in that class.
    I also brought this up in subsequent 2-3 events and couple of our regional FCA judging seminars before it eventually became a “standard” procedure.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When was that? I have been doing this for a long time and at the national level it was SOP prior to my involvement. Local events often do not have a list of cars prior to the event.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    15+ years ago and initially the given reasons was that they didn’t know(?) which cars will be attending, but I pointed out that I assumed (Yeah, I know, I know) there was a list of all “accepted/invited” cars and while some may not show up or that providing individual VINs wouldn’t be as important as up front knowledge of the class, i.e.models & types of vehicles one is expected to judgeand more if they turned out to be something that judge has no previous (firsthand) experience with.

Obviously, things have improved(?) since, but OTOH, I’m personally getting to the point I may not want to be involved with it much, if any, longer.
    Too much nonsense (incl. politics) with continually declining interest in authenticity.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #16 Rifledriver, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    It is impossible to tell you you will judge 275's if you do not know if any will be there. I have been a part of many local events. A field of good judges is not available and often not enough time for you to know whose coming. You take what you got, do what you can do and do and everyone has fun. High School basket ball games are not done at NBA level. The other factor is a standard for a club activity. Lots of people complain. Very few get involved to make it better.

Like anything else in life the results you get are in direct proportion to the effort expended. There is no world wide standard how this is done. There is not even a Ferrari club standard. Many regions and chapters promote their event to be for example done to IAC/PFA standards when I know for a fact they are not. There is no region or chapter with enough qualified people to do it. In Texas one is being planned and it is only because the new national Chief Judge lives here along with a few other very capable judges being involved and we are planning some training seminars between then and now to at least make a start in that direction. In this case it is in preparation for a possible national FCA meet in Austin in a couple of years.

There is zero loss of interest in authenticity. You are comparing pick up games with the serious ones. I have not heard a single word from you about being involved to help make it better....Just complaints.

TTR and Texas Forever like this.
  16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Dear Brian, first let me say that your “sport”(?) analogy might be somewhat wasted on me as I don’t follow any (incl. motor such) nor ever have, but if I understand correctly your comparison of it to local vs. national/international level Concours events, I tend to think it's applicable, including the fact that “Money changes everything” and “Big Money…”

Anyway, I got "involved" long ago, but eventually learned my expectations or views on judging, given guidelines/rules and interpretation of their application appears different from much of the status quo and any chance for meaningful change "to help make it better" would be a huge, or should I say, insurmountable uphill effort for which I don't have time, energy nor that much interest to embark on.

As for my assessment or skepticism of "authenticity" or OEM correctness, having been (hands-on) involved with vintage car restoration hobby over 4 decades and professionally over 3, I've seen plenty of examples in which "it" has become noticeably or even significantly altered during their, often multiple, restorations.
    Although most aren't Ferraris, some of these include 100 point, BiC or BoS at Cavallino, PB, etc.
    Heck, I even have (my own) photographic "evidence/proof" on several such examples, but I also understand there’s no (good) point to publish any, so...
    ... maybe it's best I "just complain". ;)

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Feb 2, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    There are many who genuinely believe their version of authenticity is the correct one but just as in science if there is no peer review it is just a belief. Big shows are one method of peer review.

One of the vexing problems with Ferrari they may have made twenty examples but all are slightly different. And unlike many other makes Ferrari has few records in many cases and are not interesting in sharing so we all know the real history. As any of the serious restorers will tell you there is very little that is considered the final answer. The history of the authentic original configuration is constantly updated.
    A rather famous one off owned by a well known American collector was restored and extensive research was done. It won many awards. Years later a trove of information was uncovered that showed what was thought to be correct about the interior was wrong. Despite every effort to know what was right, it was not. Everyone serious in Ferrari history and in Ferrari car configuration knows it is never settled science. That cars interior was corrected and a few years ago it was best of show at Pebble. But, for all we know there still may be more to learn about it.

Another man and I are just finishing a TR restoration and judging manual. It isn't finished, with luck it never will be.

TTR and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Are there bonus points for pastel coats and wearing shoes with no socks?

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Funny you should mention. There are shows popping up around the country that are very popular. You bring a car and dress appropriate for its period. My other half has been bugging me to go to the one in Austin. Well we have a White TR.

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'll need a loud tropical shirt....got ya covered!!

22. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Out of curiosity, is Amelia all judged or is some of it for display only? Additionally how do the ICJAG rules treat replicas?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Replica applications are not accepted. Non period rebodies are not excepted. Any car turned into a spider or cabriolet are not accepted.
    The entire idea is for preservation and authenticity. Those cars hardly fit that description,.

As far as what the promoter will allow on the field thats up to them.

Texas Forever and JAM1 like this.
  24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fixed it for you Brian. :)