Amex Black Card. Info Please | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Amex Black Card. Info Please

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by DrStranglove, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i think these colored cards are crazy I have a gold I would never pay 395 for a plat, I was offered I said no, this color thing is crazy a year ago one of my employees got a platnum visa card with a $300 spending limit. Walked around the office and told everyone. thats why waiters dont care, they think they can get one cause the have a gold card with a $300 limit. and everyone has one. If It was worth it for the privligies I would do it.

john

2. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    I contacted Amex and was told I needed to spend about 100K/yr on the card to apply. I normally put much more on cards, but for what I do there was not much benefit over the platinum card. The real issue was that the companies I deal with do not take Amex, only Visa/MC. I wonder if the admin fees are higher for Amex...

steve

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The great perks with the Black Card are only:

Gold status on airlines.
    Concierge service.

For example I used them to ask them to get me a good wine sommelier to host a party for me about wine for my friends....they contacted people and got me a wine sommelier from one of the top 20 restaurants in NYC. Hard to get things like a Ferrari 360 Modena...I asked them to get me first on the list at a dealership....they couldn't. But they were able to get me a Panerai 1950 watch at cost last year when they were selling $2k over retail. Somehow they ended up talking to a VP at Panerai in Italy. Sometimes they can get you stuff....sometimes they can't.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Quite so. The merchant fees to carry amex are higher. The cost per transaction + % of the transaction + an additional monthly fee just adds up quickly. Depending on the clientel, it isn't beneficial for most businesses (low end dollar) to carry amex due to the additional costs which cut out of the bottom line. Everyone gets Visa/MC thrown at them for free, and debit cards are Visa/MC as well.

5. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    uhmmm, why did u block the number out?

:)

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Scene in Fastlane was pretty funny.

I too hear the card can (unoffically?) be asked/applied for. Amazing what one can do in this world if they just ask for it.

AFAIk, the card should come with a $2500 kickback, for the privlige of collecting a processing fee on all of MY money!

That said, it is not hard to make the thing pay for itself.

I too find the 'color buisiness' to be a little funny (though on a purely asthetic note I find the blue and black amex cards to be the most well designed cards I've seen. Not that I'd PAY for either!)

I have a dear friend with an amex 'GOLD' card. He's broke all the time. (literally strapped for gas money, not pseudo-broke/leveraged like some of us. I mean me.) I don't even know if/how he makes the annual fee.

7. sctv

sctv Rookie

Jun 26, 2003
    San Fernando Vly, CA
    I have to agree with you there as I have the Blue Amex. The additional perk of that card is that you get cash back over time. Not the 5% they advertise everywhere but it's still nice to get paid to charge stuff on the card instead of paying them for the service. I always pay off the balances before the bill even gets to me so as not to get charged any interest.

To give you an example, I've charged about 15k in the past few months and it shows a cash back balance of $175 so far and only increasing as I'm now getting into the higher tiers with the better cash back rates.

The recent Smart Money mag has a good article on all the cash back cards if anyone's interested.

8. Michael

Michael Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2001
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Another rumour I've heard was that the concierge service can arrange to have you picked up anywhere in the world including sending a helicopter if you are in a remote area.

9. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

That is true.

For example, just say u were in a remote area and ur wife is in medical danger, you call the Black Amex concierge and they will send a chopper to pick both of you up and take you to a hospital for FREEEEEE!

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    + the small entry fee of $150,000 ;)

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yuo know, the more I hang around you guys, the more I find it's a big ol' world out there. First the "Swingers clubs" (thanks to LAfun2) and now this card....

What else can you teach a country boy?

12. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Real players pay in cash! (or are too young to have a card :D )

13. krayzie

krayzie Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #63 krayzie, May 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #64 Kevallino, May 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just reading this thread last week, and yesterday look what turns up in my mail! Didn't have to ask or nuthin'.

Cheers
    Kevin

Partial disclosure - non-US.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    that is damn cool. what a way to present a credit card. have fun spending.
    thad

16. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Hey, you got two! I'll take one :D

17. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You're gonna have to wrestle my wife for it... I mean, well, what I meant was...

Maybe I will just send it to you - you'll probably do less damage :)

Cheers
    Kevin

18. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I'll buy rims, and then for thanks I'd buy a lot of Zaino and then i'll detail your car :D After of course I buy the plane to get to your house.