458 - And its back on........ | FerrariChat

458 And its back on........

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tsmithmdtx, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tsmithmdtx

tsmithmdtx Rookie

Apr 17, 2011
    Tyler, Texas
    A month ago I got the "Engine control system failure" warning. Thought to be possibly a voltage issue so replaced battery with Interstate MTX-48 H6. Things seemed fine until today when message came back on. Talked to Ferrari dealer who is 2 hours away and they again thought voltage issue possibly related to battery tender. Using Ferrari tender which I presume is original for 2013 vehicle. Had tender tested at battery center and battery was at 12.58 V and 12.8 is apparently fully charged. Came home and reconnected tender until green light came on and rechecked volts and now 12.72 V. Interstate battery guy thinks the tender is bad and not fully charging battery and therefore the fault message. Anyone have this issue or any other thoughts?

By the way have V1 powered from OBD port. could this be draining battery even though on tender? I have disconnected to see what if anything happens.

2. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    What codes are you getting when you attach a scan tool?

I had the same warning and it ended up being a misfire caused by a bad spark plug.