And the belt change was going so well... | FerrariChat

And the belt change was going so well...

Discussion in '308/328' started by thorn, Nov 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    First time changing belts...

I've read Birdman's belt change tutorial countless times. Ordered new belts, bearings... made sure I had every tool on-hand. Triple x2 confirmed TDC, locked the cams, marked the belts, and started on the rear bank.

The rear/left tensioner bracket looked odd. Really odd, especially once I pulled the bearing off of it.

Removed the 3 nuts that hold the bracket, pulled it off... and a weld immediately crumbled in my hand.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's a huge shout out of white-hot hate to the unknown mechanic that a) welded this instead of replacing it and b) welded it so freaking poorly, that it was literally a ticking time bomb.

Sigh.

Any chance anyone here has a spare one (part #118153) sitting on their garage shelf for sale?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Scary! You are one lucky man.

thorn likes this.
  3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Thorn,

Yikes... Indeed you were very lucky.

I checked my spares and I only have one for the carbed cars... Part 118153 looks to be for the 4 valve cars only.

Cheers,

Sam

thorn likes this.
  4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd run out and buy some lottery tickets if I were you!
    Congratulations on averting a disaster.

thorn likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thanks for checking, Sam.

Looks like Ferrparts may have it in stock... I'll give them a call in the morning.

At least my fuse blocks are working perfectly. ;)

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow! I wonder what on earth would cause it to crack in the first place?

Glad you caught it. Thanks to your dilligence and proficiency, your car is sorting out and becoming a trustworthy steed.

thorn likes this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've faced some challenges and hell-annoying moments when trying to get this car fully up to par, but this incident... yeah. I can't even sort through all the emotions.
    • Blinding hatred for whomever did this
    • Trying not to physically throw up thinking about the cost
    • Feeling literally blessed by God that on a whim I decided last week "you know, I've got it on stands replacing that oil gasket... I might as well tackle the belts, instead of waiting until January."
    Normally I'd be reaching for some bourbon at this point, but lately I'm giving sobriety a shot.

JV's89 likes this.
  8. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Whoa! So glad it didn't break while you were driving!!

thorn likes this.
  9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Man, that is one ugly weld. Glad you caught it in time .

thorn likes this.
  10. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That was my first thought. More often than not aluminum castings like that are filled with small voids and need an expert welder if there is any hope of success. That was not done by an expert or even mildly qualified welder. No doubt it was done shortly before before the car went up for sale at some point in it's life.

11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't know what that part costs. But its less than an engine rebuild! I wouldn't even consider repairing it given its critical nature.

12. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thorn, while you're in there, consider changing the bearings on your Cam Drive Pulleys if they haven't been done in a while.
    Check out my Facebook thread in "Ferrari 308" group to see mine...
    Cheers,
    Robert

Attached Files:

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Un ****ing believable

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It looks like it's a bit hard to find, but I'm seeing web prices in the $140-175 range (assuming a vendor has it in stock). I can't believe this crap bandage solution was even considered. Even if NLA... park the car and start searching scrap yards. At least your own car wouldn't be headed to one.

I'd bet those bearings definitely could use some love... but I'm already so over-budget on this round of maintenance. What started as "change the oil pan gasket" has turned into....

- Also change gear pan gasket ($)
    - Which means 15 qts of fluid ($$) and a filter ($)
    - And another 2-3 gallons of coolant ($)
    - Plus the timing belts and bearings ($$$)
    - Might as well replace accessory belts too ($)
    - Oh, look... the CV joint is leaking, so let's replace that seal ($)
    - Yay, the axle was so tight on the CV joint that the gear puller cracked the CV joint in half ($$)
    - And the flange got mangled, let's find a new one ($)
    - And some idiot welded that bracket that fell apart ($$$)

At least I already had spray paint and tape. That axle shaft looks GREAT now. ;)

And as much as I dislike Facebook, I decided a Ferrari 308 group is worth logging in for. I'll be checking out your thread soon and figure out those bearings. :)

redqv likes this.
  15. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Have you tried GT Car Parts for a used one? They have been quite helpful in the past.

thorn likes this.
  16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Cool, I've give them a look too. Thanks :)

17. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, the bearings run 70 pounds each at Superformance (Ferrari part #121274 for my QV. Part #35 on the diagram). But if yours are old it's false economy not to change them. Especially considering you have everything all apart already. Your choice, of course! Best of luck.
    Robert Image Unavailable, Please Login

Albert-LP likes this.
  18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Thorn,

You are most welcome and I am glad that the blocks are holding their own :)

As mentioned, try GT Car parts in Arizona, but also Eurospares in the UK. If for some reason you simply cannot find a replacement in a timely manner, then you could laser-cut a replacement for a reasonable cost. The bracket is not overly complicated and so CAD'ing up the bracket would not take very long (20 minutes perhaps)... and then you can laser-cut or CNC mill it for reasonable $. No doubt that laser or CNC cutting a replacement will be more money, but not dramatically more. As I mentioned it is an option if a replacement cannot be found.

Cheers,

Sam

19. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

This?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FERRARI-308-MONDIAL-BELT-TENSIONER-TIMING-IDLER-BRACKET-105200-GTS-GTB-GT4-DINO/382289917006?epid=821231512&hash=item590241344e:g:vmUAAOSw44BYi9M-&vxp=mtr
    Peter

20. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
  21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thanks for the shopping links - found what I needed at FerrParts, and the box is on the way. :)

22. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    It will feel great installing that new part... I feel for you... I hate it when you find some rigged part like that. It's just lazy. You had trouble with the CVs too? Just crazy how tight they can be...

It will be awesome when you get it done :)

Franny

23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Andy,

but this is the part for your earlier cars. thorn needs the QV-part. It surprises me, that this improved and reinforced design broke at all.

P.S.: slowly I begin feeling 'at home' again here. Had some problems getting used to the new design :)

P.S2.: thorn, you are a lucky man.

Best from Germany
    Martin

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a welded one on mine. It is running strong. This is can acceptable repair, IF done well.

The Hill Eng one looks reasonable enough.

25. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Tight was an understatement... if it wasn't obvious, one would have thought the gear and axle was 1 single piece of metal. It took a bizarre amount of force to get the gear off... so much, that from the position I was standing (and cursing, and straining like hell) I couldn't see that it was actually the flange that was bending, and not the gear moving up the shaft. But when I heard that "pop" - yeah, heartsinking feeling. I was probably pale under all that axle grease.

Thankfully the Porsche 930 uses the same parts. So $80 for the joint and flange, instead of $890 for the whole CV/axle assembly. It's in the mail, too.

I was hoping I'd be back on the road by the holiday, but with a bit of luck it won't be too long after that. Can't wait to drive it again in this cool cool weather. :)

rpissm likes this.