Another 308 QV Radiator Removal Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Another 308 QV Radiator Removal Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by SoCal308GTSiQV, Sep 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wasn't able to work on the car this weekend, but did round up some more parts. I picked up a new heater hose, the one that T's off the lower radiator hose below the battery. And I picked up some new hose clamps for the two shorty hoses in the same spot.

The goal is to replace the heater hose and get the radiator back in today. Then hopefully get the valence back on.

I'm making head way. Hopefully I'll be driving by this weekend, as there is a F car / Lambo even next weekend in Bakersfield I'd like to go to.

But I am happy that I got to fix my front dent and clean everything!

More to come!

2. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #27 SoCal308GTSiQV, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, Radiator is back in, bolted up with the A/C evaporator. The valence is all back in, wheel wells, battery, spare tire enclosure, spare tire and battery cover.

I had to repair the ground wire on the driver’s side turn signal, now I’m trying to get the bumper bolts lined up. They were a b!tch to get out and they are being one going back in.

Then it’s grill, hood and coolant

Then bleed the sytem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #28 SoCal308GTSiQV, Sep 21, 2009
  4. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Stock on the 328 although in a slightly different location.

5. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Got the bummer bolten in, that was a pain. I have a bumper kit that pulls the bumper in. But the bolts that attach the bumper to the tubes hit the frame, so I had to grind the bolts down a little. Now it has more room to fit, so it's not such a pain to put on and take off.

I also have always had a turn signal problem that turned out to be a broken ground wire. So I fixed that.

Tomorrow I will fit the grill and the hood.

Almost finished. This was allot of work, but I leanred allot, like how to get into area's like the heater fans.

6. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #31 RVIDRCI, Sep 21, 2009
    Very "cool" Chris !! Nice thread, good pictures ( I especially like the "half of my Ferrari is in my living room" ones ). Great that you got that little front valance wank fixed up in the process, and now your lookin stylish as well as being "very cool".

I'll be doing my Euro valance install/change out soon, and probably do my radiator also "while I'm in there", I also have a tiny weep on the bottom tank. Great info, dude !! I'll refer to your thread as well as chairpilots when I do it (this forum rocks, eh !!).

PS: the fact that your heater fans are still attached is a plus, both of mine had BOTH attachment ears cracked off. And in regard to the electrical grounds, IT'S A FERRARI,....IT'S ALWAYS THE GROUNDS, MAN !!!

7. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi

Mine has one of those, but the plastic is white. It appears to be factory.

My car also has a aftermarket disconnect "switch", which seems redundant, but the PO was kind of "mechanically challenged" AFAIK ;-)

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I got my car it didn't have one and I didn't know it suppose to have one.
    So I ordered a used set from TRutland

9. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I guess the expected people to store them and gave you the option to just unplug the car. Thats cool!

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I just did my 83 QV radiator which blew a seam on the way back from Lime Rock. The one thing I would stress is to have the radiator completly resodered on all seams if anyone has to do this, it will keep you from potentially having an issue in a different spot some time later. I disconnected the AC lines and it came out in seconds as one unit once the coolent hoses were disconnected. As I had to charge the AC, I was not concerned with loss of refrigerant.

Out in a couple hours, dropped at rad shop, back from shop completly redone, prepped for paint and painted, new stainless steal bolts holding Rad and condenser, back in car repainted looking like new. Bled coolent system using Rifledriver's method. Total downtime from incident 7 days, hooray!

Having removed my friends rad twice because of a rad shop screwing up I can say that taking out AC condenser and rad at same time saves loads of little headaches, but even keeping AC lines attached we never had to remove body parts except the grille which made getting lower bolts easier to remove holding Rad and AC condenser togeter.

11. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I really hope I don't have to do this again, but if I do I will seriously think about doing it your way. This was allot of work, but again, I did get to fix my valence that needed a dent fixed.

12. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    #37 Jet Lag, Sep 22, 2009
    Good work Chris! I hope you enjoy Bakersfield.

I didn't post this picture earlier because I didn't want it to seem like I was rubbing it in; and Chris took care of some other stuff that needed attending, so the way he went about it was right for him. But you really don't need to be wasting precious R12 by undoing those A/C lines.

This is the kind of give, and room to work, the rubber hose part of the A/C line give you to get at those bottom bolts.

13. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    You also want to disconnect it if you're doing any kind of semi-serious work on the car. Quick and easy.

14. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #39 SoCal308GTSiQV, Sep 22, 2009
    When I started this job, I thought about taking out the spare tire tub, but I didn't want to have to drill out the rivets! Little did I know there were rivets on the valence. So this really would have been the easy way. NEXT TIME! (gawd I hope there isn't a next time! LOL)

I might look into those Rivnuts for the tire tub. Seems like a smart way to go to access everything in the front of the car.

I've now got the hood back on. There was no alignment, it just goes where it goes and the hood latches actually work better.

So, I'm just down to the grill. I need to get some new screws for that tomorrow and then it's re-assembled.

As I got down to the last bolts for the hood in my magnet tray I realized I had 6 more bolts left over! NEVER A GOOD SIGN! For the life of me I have been trying to figure out what those 6 10mm bolts are. I read over my own thread trying to see if something I may have missed popped out, but nothing. Then in the shower I realized, they are to the skid plate / hose cover on the bottom!

I hate putting things back together and ending up with more parts than when you started!

15. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, that is handy, I'll use it this winter while I store the car and any time I'm working under the hood!

16. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    #41 Jet Lag, Sep 22, 2009
    Great pictures; beautiful car! As for those new screws, In the '308/328 GTB/GTS / DINO GT4 PARTS CROSS REF. THREAD' Mike Charness suggests using "Instant Gun Blue" on standard zinc screws - works GREAT! really does turn them instant black.

To tell the truth, the reason I went the spare tire well route without even considering any other way is, like you, I had other stuff to do.

This is what happens when you let a kid at Sears put your new battery in for you - didn't quite make it to the goal.

No biggy, I grew up around boats and repairing fiberglass is messy but easy enough.

Have fun at Bakersfield; car looks great!

17. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, I see what you had to repair. I guess the route you take is decided by the work you have to handle.

That sucks that kid dropped the battery. I put my battery back in before I put the hood back on for that reason.

To be honest with you, the BIG FEAR and the MYSTERY of this car is finally starting to fade. I'm gaining more and more confidence working on it. Really, just learning how to access some of these hidden areas is the key. Now I know that if I have too, I can take the spare tire well out. And if I want to get to the heater fans I can go through the front wheel wells.

It’s all very interesting. I sit and just read all these technical procedures that people have posted, rarely doing them myself. But being able to use this sites descriptions and pictures, I know I can do it. I wish I had a better place to work on the car and better tools. I think I’ll be looking for some specific tools in the future to make the jobs easier.

I have to say that I knew I wanted to tackle this type of car and work before I bought this car. I have owned everything from VW’s to Big Black Chevy’s and I really wanted the challenge of working on a machine of this nature.

As far as having to handle the radiator, I’d have been a fool to not think that a 25+ year old car wouldn’t need this type of maintenance.

NEXT! (oh yeah, I still have to do the grill, thanks for the info!)

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Chris, your car looks fantastic and you took care of some issues and had a chance to really look and take care of any potential issues , so, it's time well spent. I used a rubber mallet to knock out one dent in my lower pan when the rad and condenser were out, but did not get the to level you did.

Having removed and put in a 308 radiator way more than I ever wanted to in the last few months, I now consider myself a certified mechanic for this repair and it's a place I prefer not to be.

19. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, I used a rubber mallet too and a few pieces of wood to sqaure things up a bit. It's not perfect, but if anyone gets down on their hands and knees to look at it and give me $h!t, then they can bite me! LOL

I guess I really want to know about this car because I want to be able to make repairs on the side of the road if I need too. My wife and I want to do some long distance trips in the car, so I better know how to fix it and easily! Thanks for your comments.

20. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm happy to say my car is back together and running fine. Everything, including the fans are working proper, holding it's fluids, keeping it's temp in check and ready to run.

I may take her out tomorrow if the weather holds out!

Thanks for all the comments and support through this process.

CASE CLOSED!

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Job well done Chris, congrats! are you ready for the Bakersfield "Fun Run"?
    Unfortunately I'm still in Manila till the 13th BUT the F1 race in Singapore was Awesome,
    I took lots of pictures and some video but I'll tell you more about it when I get back.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy your car now and all the hard work you have done, hard work always
    pay back. Enjoy:)

Mike

22. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey Mike, YES, it looks as though I will be going to the show on the 1st. As long as everything checks out OK tomorrow. I'm still bleeding the cooling system and making sure the fans are working correctly.

Glad to hear your having a good safe trip! I bet seeing that race in person was amazing! You'll have to start a thread with pic's and vid's!

The winter is closing in on us. I hope we get a drive or two in before summer is over!

Chris