Another 355 Airbag question | FerrariChat

Another 355 Airbag question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Boaf 32, Sep 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    355er's

My 1999 355 Spider has the Air Bag light on. Sometimes it will fade off for a few minutes but always returns. Going to check the connections. I believe it is under the bonnet drivers side, so need to confirm with the diagrams. Already checked the dash connections and they are contact clean :).

My Questions:
    • Shouldn't I receive a code from OBD II for Air Bag if it is malfunctioning?
    • The location of the ABS Module and it's connection are located near the drivers side headlight?
    Thanks,

Boaf

2. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US

3. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Your alternator or battery are probably going bad. Has happened to me about 4 times over the past 14 years, always battery or alternator. One time it was just the green plug on the alternator needed to be replaced. Hope his helps.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Boaf... Here's an overview of the system:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wire routing seems to vary depending on which manual you look at.

There is nothing in the system relating to the airbag system near the headlights. The acceleration sensor will be in the main ECU which is located in the centre console. There are acceleration sensors behind the front bumper for the suspension system only.

The ECU is interrogated using Ferrari diagnostic tools via a plug in the passenger footwell, not using the OBD2 port. Most airbag wiring is sheathed in yellow, including the diagnostic plug. It's really the only way to identify the faulty components.

The ECU can be seen in these photos, forward of the gearstick (red or yellow plug). There are two different types of ECU.

Thanks to my fellow FChatters for the photos

26street likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't have any helpful wiring diagrams for the system, but I believe the power for the ECU comes from the Aircon/Instrument fuse in the passenger footwell. It doesn't sound like a power issue though.

6. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Not sure about that. It's been many years now (4 or 5) with the light on, but will check it out.Think you are right about connection to Alt. Heading bak home in a couple of days.

Thanks Cueno,

Boaf

7. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    No and no...
    The air bag circuit has nothing to do with OBD.
    You'll need a SD-type tool to do meaningful diagnostics.

8. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks Island,

Thought so, Leonardo..... I am checking connections.... appreciate it.

Boaf.

9. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Qavion is right about the system and having no sensors outside of the cab

What you are working with is a Gen 1 airbag system which using a acceleration sensor mount on the floor which will deploy the airbags if the vehicle is moving more then around 15 - 20 mph and comes to a sudden stop (aka accident) the sensor is also known as a YAW sensor

Playing with these connection with the airbags still hook up is not a good idea the factory manual states that the bags be disconnected and “ resistors” are to replace the airbags when testing the system to avoid deployment and this is also one of the test to see if the bag themselves are the problem

The airbag system just like the ABS uses “ logic” meaning a small electrical signal is passed through the wires and returns back to the controller and all signal have a value range to stay in once out of range the system sets a fault —- disturbing that signal can set off the bags this is why the wires are all YELLOW so that all know which wires are for the airbags and not too cut, splice and basically mess with

With out pulling codes with the right scanner your are chasing your tail but the one thing I have found with these systems is the “clock spring” which in the steering column —- it connects the drivers airbag to the system via a small wound up wire that lets you turn the steering wheel with out losing the connection —— usually this is the most common problem and these parts where not reliable even new back in the 90’s and I’m sure after 30 years your will need to be check —- DO NOT check the clock spring with a OHM meter and airbag still connected that will set it off the repair and service manual has the proper testing and should be followed——-

remember you have 2 small explosive devices mounted in your dash and if they go off —- well we know what then —- be careful and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qavion likes this.
  10. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Boaf,
    I ran into a similar situation where my airbag light would come on dim, then go out. After some research and diagnostics I came to a realization that the SDM is the likely cause. They (TRW) do not make these anymore, so any replacements that could be procured would likely be 20 plus years old and the capacitors that were used in the period did not have the same life expectancy that they have these days. And the same can be said for the inflator modules. I am hoping that as these systems age (in all makes and models) there will be new replacements made available from a reliable source so that we could get the SDM with a new driver and passenger inflator modules. We will see.

11. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Quavion, Karting,

Eyep. I know I need the right scanner. The Tech that did my Engine Out indicated a potential ECU. I would never touch any airbag without disconnecting the battery. So a clock spring is really old tech, too funny, reminds me of the TV show Hogen's Heros with the "Gonckulator"

So if I disconnect my battery, I should be able to check connections, clock spring at least.

Thanks man

Boaf

12. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Lol ya hogan hero’s But clock springs are in every car made to this day

Even with the battery disconnected there is hazards with testing the system
    One is if you are using a OHM meter you will need to make sure the bags (all that are in the car) are disconnected because a OHM sends out a small voltage to check the wires and that can set off the bags

The shop manual has all the test you can preform outline by the codes even though you don’t have a code you can do the test one by one till you find the problem (which is usually how the factory techs will do it lol) in this way you will be testing the whole system and should find all the problems and testing it in a safe manner— not just going on what other people might think (which is not bad —- but this is a very dangerous system to be working on that way) a few dollars spend on a manual can safe you thousands in the long run

Again just be safe and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qavion likes this.
  13. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks Karting for the cautions. May hold off and have my tech do it...

Boaf