Another Exhaust thread?! Honestly.. this is slightly different! | FerrariChat

Another Exhaust thread?! Honestly.. this is slightly different!

Discussion in '360/430' started by T-MAN, Mar 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. T-MAN

T-MAN Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    UK but work in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Tamer
    Ok... before I start, I want to assure all that I have read everything that is exhaust mod on this forum enough to make Steve R my idol and mufflerman my hero :)

So why a new thread? I have a slightly different need... I want to modify the exhaust so that it does the 360 justice when it is opened up (yes F1 sound and all) but I really kinda want it almost stock sound when it is idling or moving in town slowly. I live in a quiet neighbourhood and do not want to wake people up early in the mornings or late at nights. - I'm just considerate like that! ;)

So I have been looking at the Challenge Stradale system which I believe bypasses the muffler entirely when opened up... but how quiet is it on start up and idling... Is it much louder than stock?

Also I am interested in the larini system steve R installed but am a bit worried that it has no valve system and he says sounds pretty loud and rumbly at idol speed... what kind of loud are we talking here and is it offensive to neighbours at night?

I also heard some info on remus but not really enough to go out and order it.

I guess my ideal system would be a stock 360 muffler with a challenge stradale type bypass system so when opened up completely bypasses the stock muffler... Is this kind of thing available anywhere?

By what I have heard, I don't think I am interested in Capristo at all.

Sorry for the long email... But as you can see.. I have little else to do except think about my new car that arrives tomorrow!! can't wait. Thanks for all input.

2. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    I have no personal experience with this product, but I have researched this topic and the most intriguing I've found is Kreissieg. Kreissieg Valvetronic lets you reroute exhaust via a dash switch and this is the closest to F1 sound I've ever heard coming from a 360...

http://www.kreissieg-usa.com/video.php?video=360_020929.mpg&desc=F-1 Mode - Full throttle action 1 At Tokyo Speedway (Super Sound!)

3. EVILZ33

EVILZ33 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    chicago
    i love that exhaust

4. roro

roro Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ro
    Wow that is awesome! Too much for me in terms of sound and money. I think it is around $7K. That would wake my neighbors up, but on the track...wow!

5. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    Yeah, but remember you just flip a switch on the dash and you are back to quietsville... well at least that's the idea :)

6. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My CS exhaust is always open since I un-did the vacuum hoses. When I start it up, it's REALLY LOUD, but when the idle drops after a minute, it quiets down a lot.

Quick story: About 2 weeks ago I went out to start my car, night before L.V. trip, I wanted to make sure all was good. I started it up and waited for the idle to drop and then turned it off. My wife was across the street at our neighbors. When she came home later that night she asked if I had started the car. I told her I had. She said another neighbor said there was a horrible loud noise coming from our garage. :D Oh well.

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Maybe there was but did you actually start the car?

8. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yeah, but what's horrible to one is music to another. :)

9. T-MAN

T-MAN Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    UK but work in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Tamer
    Exactly! That is why I want to keep it quiet to the utmost in my really really quiet neighbourhood that thought the exhast on my previous E55 AMG was maybe a bit too loud. I want to keep the music to myself and to people that can distinguish 'good music' from noise ;)

Thanks for all the responses... the kreissig is a bit much for me i think... both in terms of sound and money... Is there a way I can add a bypass system like the one for the CS on my stock muffler? Or can I add a valve system on the larini? or just how quiet is the CS at startup and idle WITH valves still intact. I have a few days to decide now as my car won't arrive til monday... so the more suggestions/comments the merrier.

Thanks

10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Where there are exhaust questions....you'll find me there! Where innocent Ferrari owners need insight into the ways of the exhaust, so too shall I rise to the occassion! Let us begin.........

Rule #1; nerver apologize for writing a long post...the road to Exhaust OCD is neither short nor brief ;)

I agree. A buddy of mine has a Kreisseng on his 430 and while it sounds good....it by NO means sounds anything like what you hear on that video. Maybe it was the quality of the microphone, the acoustics of the track or just amazing audio filters/editing....but (sorry to say/report) what you hear is not what you'll get.

ALSO; when I had my Capristo stage-3 (a system reknown for the F1-sound)...what you hear in the car is nothing like what others behind the car or as a spectator hears!

Nobody has addressed this yet...but much of that great raspy/shrill sound DOESN'T get into the drivers ears: the car/driver and the sound waves are relatively moving at a constant linear speed or progression. You still hear the escalation of the rpm's and the intensity to some degree.....but the bystander and especially the car being overtaken is the one truly receiving the astonishing character and drama of the tone!!!!!

Case in point: when Dusty drove my car past me (several times) I couldn't believe all the raspy tone, shrill and exotic-crazy-wicked note that I totally wasn't getting inside the car. It only makes sense, the exhaust faces back away from the car and you're facing away from it. Driving the car, I got a fraction of the whole audible dimension. I still managed to get a lot of drone/resonance and it was so loud I couldn't even hear my tires screeching through hard turns. My wife refused to take long drives in the car and the guy who bought the system from me just got a ticket for "too loud exhaust".

I've already covered the recent build-quality issues Capristo is suffering from as well...so you gotta be careful; make sure the people you buy it from will warranty it from defects!

There is one thing worth mentioning. My car is a Euro 360 and I've been told it has no pre-cats. Indeed, my car IS louder then others to start with. I'll bring this up later with the CS and Larini system.

Back to Capristo. I did an interesting test: I plugged the inner pipes and drove the car keeping it under 4,000 rpm. At first I tried multiple layers of tin-foil, if they were applied while the car was running it would be fine....but I applied them with the engine off and upon start-up the abrupt change in pressure blew-out the foil and just about everybody watching fell to the ground hystercially laughing: I've not lived that down yet. BUT the experiment proved interesting. I used some sheet metal and fabricated my own caps and then used band-clamps to secure them. The overall sound was reduced about 40% and the drone/resonance was reduced about 85%. It was mellow, dull and didn't have a hint of back-burble.....but it did work. The caps were just temporary....

If you have your stock exhaust system you can have a muffler shop remove the section with bypass valves and have these grafted onto the inner pipes of the Capristo. The inner pipes exit the muffler closest to where the exhaust enters the muffler, so that's why closing the inner pipes off reduce the noise so much. In this custom configuration you have the best of both worlds, mellow & loud...but is it safe? I don't know. Rumor has it Capristo does make optional bypass valves that can be used in this same manner. I'm confident the back-pressure isn't problematic...after all, the bypass valves will open when you get on it.

No, the stock system feeds & exits from the bottom.

Yes...there is room for bypass valves to be grafted in...BUT, unlike the Capristo the Larini has it's exit pipes at equal positions relative to the exhaust entrance. I recently tried covering the inner & outter pipes just to see what happens: the sound was reduced about 20%, not a whole lot. I don't think it's worth tinkering with.

This is important: when I had my CS system on my 360 it was LOUD, even Jon (ModenaFan) with his CS told me my car was nastier-louder then his. And here's why (as mentioned above): my car is a Euro and it has no pre-cats! Jon's car sounds great, but it's quieter then my Euro 360 running the same exhaust. I recently talked with a mechanic who installed a CS system on another 360 and he said it sounded much nice then it did on mine.

My point is, the Larini on my car is not terribly loud at the bottom-end, but louder then I expected. Still good; my wife loves it and enjoys driving the car...she instantly told me she liked it. On a U.S. car the Larini will be even more mellow...so don't worry about it on your car!

At start-up it's incredibly loud, all 360's are: the idle is higher to help it warm, the vacuum hasn't developed to close the (reguarly open) bypass valves AND the air-pump is pumping air into the cats to heat them up: LOUD LOUD LOUD. After a few seconds the bypass valves get their vacuum and close (yes, bypass valves are open in their sitting position; it requires vacuum to close the valves...this is why disconnecting the vacuum lines to the bypass valves render then open all the time). After a minute or two the idle calms and after a few more moments the air-pump turns off. My car leaving the garage is LOUD, my car coming back into the garage is mellow.....

I very much did not like my CS exhaust system. I didn't like the abrupt clank-ON and abrupt clank-off of the bypass valves. Without the bypass valves it was too loud, and the top-end was more of a loud race-car/stock-car...not so much an F1-shrill. BUT my no pre-cat Euro car is harsher to begin with. On a U.S. car the CS is different. It might be your cup of tea and it does offer that dual personality of quiet/loud.

The Tubi, to me, is painfully dull & mellow....BUT if you put some aftermarket cats on it, then it comes alive. You may want to consider an X-Ost; same design as a Tubi but supposedly a bit better sounding and much cheaper.

Okay...I take it back: maybe one can write too much and need to apologize for a long post ;) What can I say...I type very fast, enjoy writing and like sharing my experience with others: it ain't no fun changing exhaust systems and wasting money!!!

11. Prodrive

Prodrive Karting

Jun 27, 2004
    Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Prodrive
    Steve always the best man to answer any exhaust question ... :)

12. T-MAN

T-MAN Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    UK but work in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Tamer
    Steve R... I am in awe of your answer! We are not worthy!

Seriously... I need to read what you said a second time (possibly third and fourth) to take it all in... but very very useful info.

My car is Euro so I guess will be as loud as yours to start with. I am liking the Larini system by what you say... The wife test is always a good measure ;) How much louder than stock is it at startup and idle and what is it like cruising long distances (i.e. is it noisy in cabin).

Also what's the X-ost like for the above... I think roro has installed it on his system... maybe he can pitch in and let us know (startup/idle/cruise/armageddon and how it compares to stock in each)

As I said... Let me read a couple more times then respond to the other items... just wanted to say thanks first and foremost.

13. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

I would LOVE to have that same horrible noise coming from my garage :D :D :D

14. pcglobal

pcglobal Karting

Sep 4, 2006
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Hey Steve R is my exhaust superstar also, but I have a 360 Spider and I retrofitted a F430 stock exhaust on the car and it is absolutely incredible. Everyone that hears it cannot believe the sound. You have to use the complete F430 exhaust including the pipes and tail outlets. Use the stock 360 catalytic converters.

The best part of this system is it stays quiet under 4000 RPMs, so in the neighborhood, I can sneak out by keeping the car in 3rd gear, but once Im out I let 'er rip!

I don't think any microphone can do a exhaust justice. You need to hear it in person. Once again, I am soooo happy with my exhaust now. By the way, contrary to some beliefs, the F430 stock exhaust is NOT a CS exhaust. It is a completely new exhaust that was created for the F430. Due to the difference in engine sizes between the 360 and the 430, the exhaust tone with the F430 on the 360 is much higher and beautiful sounding.

I would bet this system would give any out there a run for the money, and its Ferrari so you still can keep the whole car Ferrari without going aftermarket.

The labor to put the F430 on my 360 was $800 which was a little high because there were 2 brackets that had to be custom made. I can change back to the original 360 just by putting back the original stock 2 brackets.

Believe me, I did my research for almost 4 months on exhausts. Listen to all the sound clips, all the Mytubes etc....you have to go with the sound you are looking for. It's all subjective what you think sounds good compared to others.

I like that fact that the bypass on my exhaust stays close at low RPMS just in case I want the car to be quiet.. but the car takes on a whole new personality above 4,000 RPMS.. You should see the look on peoples faces when I drive by them.

Best of luck

15. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Any chance you could record that for us anyway? I'd like to hear it.

16. T-MAN

T-MAN Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    UK but work in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Tamer
    pcglobal...

That's interesting.. I did think that the 430 mufflers were the same as the Challenge stradale but the tailpipes were different...

Which brings me to my question... I thought the dimensions on the 360/430 were different and the tailpipes were a different length? If the stradale and 430 mufflers are different but the same dimensions, then would it be easier to get the 430 muffler and the stradale tailpipes and then we wouldn't need to customise any brackets for it? Have you put ur car next to a stradale and noticed any difference in sound?

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I still think that the ultimate exhaust would be a Capristo level 3 with bypass valves on all four exit pipes. Just not controlled by vacuum; all four valves would have to be controlled electronically with servo controllers. There would be no clanking, as the valves would open and close as a function of RPM. The outer valves would never fully close, of course. In a perfect world, the curves would be worked out on a dyno. Some enterprising individual could come up with a retrofit kit that could just bolt right on to the exhaust outlet pipes and wired up to the car.

18. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Hi, Steve I am convinced you are the superstar & exhaust expert in the Forum and thanks for sharing the valuable exhaust information with us.

By the way , my 2002-360 is running a Tubi exhaust with OEM cats but I tend to be OK with the sound (May be I am new to Fcar and have no comparison). However, the OEM cats overheat issue caused a "slow-down" light on that made me think I need to replace the OEM cats with Larini sport cats; Note: the slow-down light was on after 30 min. aggressive driving; anyway after it was cooled down; I restarted the car and after 1 min ride the "slow-down" was gone and the Dealer said it should be OK and it was due the cats temp was too high.
    So, before I go ahead to order the Larini cats - please kindly comment if you have any other concern and suggestion.

Lastly . what is pre-cats (sorry for stupid question, I just had my 360 last Dec. and it has been in storage since Jan.) :)

19. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Took delivery of my 360 Spider two weeks ago I had the Tubi NGT fitted along with the Hyperflow Cats it is a great sound snarls at start up then really has a deep roar sounds more bass than the Capristos I have heard when you accelarate.
    Martin

20. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    The Larini is probably about 30% louder then stock at idle, but it has a HUGE powerful rich bass sound...it also has a phenominal "report" as the rpm's increase and any backing-off of the gas results in "back-burble". It's exotic, it's powerful and far more dynamic then the intolerably dull stock OEM exhaust. It is pretty brutal at start-up with the increased rpm's and air-pump running...but in a matter of short minutes it's mellowed. Since you too have a Euro, I would be a little concerned if you have a spider. If you have a coupe it's just sublime...I enjoy the sound with my top-up as well...very smooth & sexy!

As for the X-Ost, from what I hear some ex-employee's left Tubi and literally stole the plans & design. I've been told the X-Ost is a complete knock-off of the Tubi, but I've also been told it's improved in sound by a bit. I can't recall who the forum member is, but he got impatient waiting for me to get my Larini and he ordered an X-Ost...he complained that it was pretty mellow & quiet...which is very consistent with the Tubi. He moved immediately to put aftermarket cats on it to help it out...we're awaiting the snow to melt to get his feedback. My hunch is that the cats did the trick and brought the life out of the otherwise mundane system. RayJohn's has a Tubi w/HyperFlows and the term 'delighted' doesn't begin to do justice to his feelings about it...BUT he'll be the first to admit there's absolutely no "F1" quality to it; it don't scream nor shrill.

A friend of mine named Oliver (forgot his screen-name) did the same thing on his 360. He was happy with it too....but you are 1,000,000% correct: it's all subjective....just cause I can write novels about exhaust systems does NOT make me right!!!!

BUT, on that note....you may be mistaken about the 430 system not being different then the CS system. Daniel at Ricambi (reknown Ferrari parts deity) looked it up and found that the part# for the muffler section of the CS exhaust was the same muffler section for the "360 Sport Exhaust" AND the same muffler section for the 430 Stock exhaust. Again: IDENTICAL part number in the Ferrari catalog. The tail-pipes vary, but the essential muffler section is the same....as is the design of completely bypassing the muffler section when the bypass valves are open!

BUT, I agree with you about the engines being different between the 360 and 430 and needing different mufflers. A friend asked if Larini had a system for the 430 and I discovered (back many months ago) they didn't. So I asked the boys at Larini why they don't just make new pipes and use the 360's same muffler section (as Ferrari does for their 430 & CS system). The boys at Larini told me they wouldn't use the same muffler section as the engines have different dispalcement and all sorts of different needs.....which actually gives rise to the question "is it okay to use a 430 muffler on a 360"??????

That's what I was going to do, but you don't need bypass valves on all 4 tips, just the inner tips. Once the inner tips are closed, the whole system is really quite mellow and then it's Armagedon when they open. Only problem is, Capristo's are all about shrill & top-end....they don't have a low-end bass, they drone/resonate and many guys won't admit it for fear of typing non-PC thoughts...but many find the Capristo's very "tinny". Let's not even get into the recent inner weld defects and mount breaks.

Wow...I have no idea about the overheat issue & the slow-down light related to the over-heating of the cats; we need Rifledriver, Mufflerman or GCalo on this one. Cats are supposed to get hot to burn-off gases. Also, I think the sensors are more about evaluating the air in terms of content, not so much the temperature. But this I do know: those same sensors that are giving you problems are still used, they are merely unscrewed from your OEM cats and re-screwed into the after-market cats...so you may have the same problem. I've never heard of that problem, I'm thinking one of your sensors is on the fritz? The only hope that an after-market cat would help is that they are less restrictive so perhaps they'd let the exhaust flow quicker and thus run cooler??? That's a lot of money to spend on a hunch!....treat the cause, not the symptom! :)

Capristo's aren't about bass or low-end "umph"...they are all top-end screamers! The NGT is impressive, often criticized as a "track-only" system....very loud. I heard one (Ron's) and it sounded awesome. You added cats too?? Wow....hope you have a good dental plan! ;)

Hey guys....

Much of owning these cars is enjoying discussing them, hanging-out with buddies, going on drives and sharing this sort of info. I went through a lot and I'm one of the many guys on the forum who like to do my research and make educated decisions. That said, I just enjoy this subject and like to share what I've learned...but it doesn't make me right. I appreciate all the compliments and even the teasing (to some degree....Ron, your ride is OVER!)....but seriously, don't let my opinions do more then flavor your thoughts....what one person loves is another's agony. The fun is figuring it out.

:) - Steve

21. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Before you order aftermarket cats I would address the so called cat overheating problem with your dealer.

22. roro

roro Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ro
    I've only had the X-OST for about 3 days but I fall in love with it everytime I start the engine. To choose an exhaust is so personal. Everyone's ear and taste in sound is different.

In my short experience, I chose the right one. I like it better than Tubi. I was able to hear a Tubi on a friend's car recently. Although it sounded ok, it was raspy, choppy, and inconsistent to me. People complain about the cockpit resonance. I never really heard it personally. But on my X-OST, there is no resonance at all; I am sure on that.

I live in a fairly conservative area, and I guess I feel I am a little reserved as well so I am not about the high pitch scream and waking up the neighbors. I like the X-OST for its aggressive, yet subdued idle. The roar is awesome, yet won't break any eardrums. It purrs with confidence. It's hard to describe.

I really think you need to listen to some sound clips of all the exhausts. There's some good ones on this forum if you pull a search.

23. T-MAN

T-MAN Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    UK but work in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Tamer
    OK.. I am kinda leaning away from the CS exhaust (not definitely yet but getting there) as I have heard from many that start up is VERY loud and the top rpm sound is more raw noise than a melodic F1 sound.

Larini and X-ost sound pretty decent to me although I have not really heard them first hand (any sound links to the X-ost?)... I am still worried about their startup and idling speed (but will have to work that out by myself I guess) .... Couple more questions though... Will these systems pass UK/EU sound laws? Also, I like the fact that the larini has heat insulation on it... does the X-ost have the same?

Has anyone heard these two systems next to each other and can they give an opinion.

Another very interesting thing... I was watching one of Fabspeed's 430 videos (online) and the guy claimed they were developing a tailpipe(?) system for the standard 360 which would essentially bypass the muffler pretty much the same way as the 360CS and 430 do. This might be ideal for me... as it will give me stock sound at low rpms and pretty much armageddon at high rpms as it will bypass the muffler entirely. I have sent them an email to ask whether or not this has been developed yet or when it will be ready.. but have not heard from them yet... anyone know about this or can shed some light?

Thanks all for your input... much appreciated... and steve... ur long write ups are never enough! :)

24. T-MAN

T-MAN Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    UK but work in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Tamer
    Am putting links for videos of different types of exhausts for 360 that I could find so it would be a good point for reference... where there is more than one exhaust in a single video, the title written below is the correct order of each car.

Quicksilver with valves, Quicksilver, Tubi, Standard 360, X-OST
    http://www.poseurrun.com/exhaustcomparison/

Remus
    http://www.rrracing.hu/site/remus_sound_design/remus_pkw/ferrari/power/f360_power_app.htm

Larini
    http://www.larinisystems.com/mediaFiles/1fae40_fileWMV.wmv?PHPSESSID=976c6a0c67c4fa4be4070b3a30b9929f
    http://www.larinisystems.com/mediaFiles/17b9a2_fileWMV.wmv?PHPSESSID=976c6a0c67c4fa4be4070b3a30b9929f
    http://www.larinisystems.com/mediaFiles/975283_fileWMV.wmv?PHPSESSID=976c6a0c67c4fa4be4070b3a30b9929f
    http://www.larinisystems.com/mediaFiles/b32220_fileWMV.wmv?PHPSESSID=976c6a0c67c4fa4be4070b3a30b9929f
    http://www.larinisystems.com/mediaFiles/4c8584_fileWMV.wmv?PHPSESSID=976c6a0c67c4fa4be4070b3a30b9929f

Stock, Tubi, Capristo Level 2
    http://media.putfile.com/Ferrari-exhaust-demo

Kres-seig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqC9mBojk5k
    http://www.kreissieg-usa.com/

Tubi with hyperflow cats
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ray5961

Fuchs
    http://www.jackspictures.com/videos/360%20Modena/Ferrari%20360%20(Driveby).mpg
    http://www.jackspictures.com/videos/360%20Modena/Ferrari%20360%20(Quick%20Launch).mpg
    http://www.jackspictures.com/videos/360%20Modena/Ferrari%20360%20(Twisties).mpg

Challenge Stradale with bypass valves open
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_87M0AbKoQ (1min27s into video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr2ZtxVwB2M (3min5s into video)

It is by no means a complete list... but is a start... If anyone can suggest anymore... that would be appreciated

25. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't believe the CS at top rpm sound is raw noise myself, but here's a video clip of a nice CS getting towards that top rpm area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr2ZtxVwB2M