Another F430 blinking 4th gear light..Actuator? | FerrariChat

Another F430 blinking 4th gear light..Actuator?

Discussion in '360/430' started by einbry, Sep 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. einbry

einbry Rookie

May 23, 2010
    2006 F430 is flashing the 4th gear number. Matter fact it flashed in 4th about a month ago. I pulled over restarted the car and problem was gone. Yesterday, while accelerating onto the interstate it started flashing in 4th...no other issues, all gear shifts were fine and never popped into N etc.
    I called the dealership and earliest they can see me is 10 days. They advised for me to stop driving till then. Should I park for 10 days or drive today to see if it happens again?
    I'm contemplating going to an indy instead.Any thoughts on indy vs dealer for this issue?
    Btw I've owned the car 4mos with 16,700 at purchase and odometer is 20,200 now..as you can see I drive mine lol

Update:9/11 5:12pm just spoke to the dealer in regards what worst case scenario is and will they install a rebuilt actuator pump. Yes they will install,however will not warranty it or the work performed. Also said I could be looking at a potential $25k bill if need new actuator pump..WOW! I can handle a large bill but $25k is hard to swallow. Praying its air in the line, or some type sensor.
    Any suggestions etc on what this problem could be? Car runs fine and only flashes 4..doesn't shift to N or any other shift problems.

THANKS for the input.

2. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    It's probably air in the system, one of the most common causes of F1 issues, have them bleed the system first before swapping parts out.

John.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have someone check it with an SD3 before you panic. Actuator rebuilds are currently about $2600 from GTE Engineering, but that does not include R&R or shipping, and no guarantee that is the problem. Could as easily be just a sensor. A new F1 pump should only be about $2K or so. Since you have the later heavy duty pump also used on the 599, I doubt yours is a problem.

No idea why dealers use such scary numbers over the phone. Would really make you tend to want to use a good independent with an SD3 or a Leonardo.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #4 Rifledriver, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Terry, dealers are forbidden from using anything but Ferrari approved parts. Rebuilt actuators are not Ferrari approved. Should they be criticized for following their contractual obligations?

Criticize Ferrari if you disagree with the policy but not the dealer.

Further anyone in their right mind gives no warranty on used or rebuilt parts if that is the repair the customer wants so that's not unreasonable either. The failure rate of rebuilt parts has been so large there really isn't a choice.

5. ebry21

ebry21 Rookie

Apr 28, 2014
    Guys thx for all of your input! Thats why I love this site.. The members help newbies like myself lol
    Via our forum, I found a shop in CA.. ROSELLI foreign repair that other members spoke highly of. Called and cost would be $4500 for rebuild.

Anyhow, keep the info coming please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Ferrari of Seattle is also rebuilding F1 actuators or sending them out to be rebuilt. The OP already got the word that the dealership would use his rebuilt actuator, but not guarantee the work. It would still be an OEM actuator, actually his original one. I have read about other dealerships installing GTE's rebuilt actuators.

You are probably correct, though, the $25K price would include a new actuator and a new F1 pump.

Probably not the problem, at any rate. Hard to diagnose F1 problems over the internet, as someone is fond of saying.

7. ebry21

ebry21 Rookie

Apr 28, 2014
    Taz.. Thx for your input on my post as well as others. I've been reading post all night lol
    I found yours in regards to GTE and sent them an email. Blessed to see they are in Fl. Shipping cost will save at least $1500 vs atl to Cali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. eb430

eb430 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    Update: I am the op btw
    Today has been an amazing day.. Ferrari called and told me to pick my car up.. Only had to tighten actuator screws and bleed system. Thank god!
    Thank you to all that replied to this thread

Thus far I've driven about 60 miles today and all is well!