Another F430 TPM Discussion. | FerrariChat

Another F430 TPM Discussion.

Discussion in '360/430' started by AZHokie, Mar 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Hey All,

I have the annoying TPU Orange Service light. I also have a Launch Pro 3 tool, and it is unable to read/clear anything related to the TPU system as it says it cant communicate with the ECU. So, I suspect I may need to replace it. I also have the TPM ECU disconnected right now, and when I turn on the ignition, I get the same error (same color 'service' error too).

My F430 is a 2008, so it has the newer system that doesn't have a calibration button. If I have to replace the ECU, does anyone know if there is a compatible ECU with the F430 (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) that would be less expensive to replace? Mine is part # 238986 and it looks like it has been replaced by 244952. I have found one that is reasonably priced over in Europe, but it looks like if I buy it the US, it will be over 1k to replace! I'd rather just take it to Ferrari and have them disable it vs. replacing it at that cost..

Also, I have read several discussions on here on proper frequency to replace the TPMs, and have seen some comments that the US-based TPMs use a 315mhz TPM, but all my searches for replacement TPMs for the F430 suggest I should use a 433mhz TPM. Can anyone confirm which frequency TPM I should be using, and does anyone have any suggestions for replacement TPMs (like Oro-Tek)?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
  3. Ferraretard

Ferraretard Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    John
    I have the same problem on my 2008 F430. I ordered a used, "good" unit. I saw that the superseded part number for 238986 is now part # 244952. What was the conclusion of your ECU installation? Did it solve the problem? Ill let you know in a few days if it solved my problem, but I'm eager to know because these units aren't cheap :D

4. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Go to a tire dealer that has a TPM sensor scanner. You're problem may be a bad sensor giving you the light. The sensors are now 10 years old and the batteries are at the end of their service life. A dealer with a scanner can check to see if the sensor is still transmitting.

flash32 likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just about to ask how did you determine it is the tpm ecu .. could it be the tool not able to communicate with ecu..have you successful connected to ecu before ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

6. naughtynori

naughtynori Rookie

Sep 13, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Nori
    Had the same issue when my TPMS gave me the orange warning light.
    Went to the local tire shop and the installed one of their sensors stating that it would work after a few miles of driving around. After a weekend of driving, the TPMS didn’t read the new sensor and I returned to the shop.
    Seems that their “programmable” sensor is not compatible with my 2008 F430. Long story short, I ended up ordering 4 new Oro-Tek sensors (OBE-011A) and it works flawlessly. Computer picked it up right away without needing to go for a drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flea7 likes this.
  7. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I have an 08 and use 433mhz.

8. Ferraretard

Ferraretard Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok. I have put new tpm sensors in and with my SD/2/3 scanner cannot access the ecu. I have never tried to access it before so I do not know if I am able to do so. I have a buddy with the snap-on tpms4 reader. Maybe i'll try those other sensors that naughty nori was talking about. So far I have done:
    -new sensors in all four tires
    -drove it around at various speeds for 50 miles
    -hard reset/ battery disconnect
    -visually inspected tpm ecu circuit board for any flaws, broken solders/wires.

....and I still get the orange tpms service light
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [​IMG]

9. Ferraretard

Ferraretard Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    John
    But i'll try the oro-tek and see what happens, thanks naughtynori

10. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    You could try to pull down the inner fender well and check the receiver is okay and plugged in.

11. naughtynori

naughtynori Rookie

Sep 13, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Nori
    FYI... not all 433mhz TPMS sensors will work with 2008 and up F430’s... try those oro-tek sensors, they worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ferraretard

Ferraretard Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    John
    Problem solved. the new sensors worked

13. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My TPM light also recently turned on. Do I need to remove the tires from the wheels to change the sensors? I have a 08 scud.

14. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Yes. Absolutely. Really?

15. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Just had new Michelin pilot sport 4s tires put on my 2008 f430. Since I had Tpms light on, replaced all four Tpms sensors with Oro Tek OBE-011A sensors. 4 sensors for approx $80.oo with a 12/17 manufacture date. Installed tires on car. Started car and the Tpms light was out within 15 secs and I could now read all four tire pressures.

Thanks Naughtynori.

16. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Please reference this thread...https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-tpms-433-mhz-vs-315-mhz.347945/#post-145860825

ALL F430's have a TPMS that is ultra specific depending on the ASSEMBLY number of the car.

Quoted from said previous thread: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that with Ferrari TPMS, the part number is almost as important, if not more, than anything else. Granted MHz play a key factor but sizes and functionality vary depending on the FERRARI part number. You can have two TPMS that are both 433MHz but if the Ferrari part numbers aren't the same, inevitably, you'll run into fitment/compatibility issues.

17. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Is,
    I can appreciate your above comments. I can only state my experience with these Ora Tek Gen II sensors. I have a 2008 f430 and they were basically plug and play and are working flawlessly. And I am not the only one.

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Yup!....same here. Flawless ...reads all four tire pressure.

19. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Did you have your monitors checked by a sensor scanner? My local shop checked mine and said the monitors were sending a signal. The TPMS service light is on.

20. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I checked all four sensors when the TPMS light was on. All four gave signals as long as I was in very close proximity of the sensors. If I moved the test instrument about 4" away from the sensors, two out of the four had no signal.

21. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I will buy 4 of the Oro Tek sensors this fall when I winterize the car and see if they work for me.

22. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I looked on Amazon to buy the sensors and they have terrible reviews, has everyone had good luck with them?

23. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Zero issues with the Oro Tek sensors so far.

24. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ordered the tpms on amazon today.

25. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thank you all. I just had my annual service completed this last week. The new Oro Tek sensors were installed and they synced immediately by themselves.
    All warning lights went off and I could again scroll through the tire pressure readings. Had a great 3 hour drive back on lightly traveled roads following a river, what a great car.