Another New 550 Owner | FerrariChat

Another New 550 Owner

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by RicB, Aug 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    Hello everyone – My 550 arrived last week. It’s a 97 Euro model imported from Germany in 2000. S/N 108236 A/N 25170. First registered in May 97. It has 50K miles on it and the paint and interior are still in great condition!

The second owner lived in the Portland OR area and had it for 17 years until his death. When he imported the car, he had the importer (Amerispec) remove the dash and console and ship them to Italy to change it from black to bordeaux.

A PPI and a bunch of work was performed at Scuderia Performante in PA which included a front suspension rebuild, a new clutch plus A/C compressor and Alternator rebuilds. Last November, the wheels and studs were replaced at Algar under an old recall campaign. Got lucky on that one.

This is my second Ferrari. I had a 360 F1 (Rosso Fiorano and Cuoio) and while that was fun for a quick blast around the Hill Country, this drives so much better and I can see myself enjoying it for more than an hour or two behind the wheel.

The car came with a couple pieces of luggage, only one I believe is actually for the 550. The other two don’t have the ribbed structure on top (see pic). I’ve looked and can’t find any photos that would link them to a specific model. Any thoughts?

First step (after driving it a bit of course!) is getting paint protection film on the entire front (currently has bumper only) and ceramic window tint to help stop the hot Texas sun from baking the interior.

I’ve already learned a lot from this forum and look forward to learning more from all of the knowledgeable folks here.

Cheers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    Welcome to V-12 land Rick! I loved seeing your car in person the other week and that interior is so pristine it made me think the mileage is really 5,000 not 50,000!! Enjoy it in good health!

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Love it! What a score to get the luggage with it.

Will be great to hear more stories as your ownership continues. Congrats on a beautiful acquisition.

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oh man did you get a “team Maranello” photo if so please share!

5. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    That's a great idea. We might be able to this Saturday during our next event.

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've been waiting now a staggering 21 weeks as of today to get my 550 back from the "PPI List" (all easy stuff the guy is just backed up like crazy) and am looking forward to a Norcal group drive and photo (allegedly the car will finally be ready Saturday)......we'll see.....

7. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    Wow, I'd be going nuts. I was getting anxious after mine went over 10 weeks. Some friends were wondering if I really bought the car! I hope you get it soon.

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nice Step Nose Alfa sharing that garage, BTW

JazzyO and SteveVT like this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  10. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    Thanks. Part of my mini collection of Italian classics that also includes a 86 Bertone X1/9 (backdated to look like a 74). In red of course!

Laserguru likes this.
  11. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks like a beautiful ride. Love the GTV too!

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Indeed! Congrats Rick, 550's are awesome. Drive her hard but use your brains, and she will reward you. I remain convinced most 550 owners don't know what their car can do. They are very accomplished for their day. Happy trucking!

Onno

13. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Congratulations Rick. Beautiful car(s). Love the Alfa and the X1/9 too. Pictures please.

14. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
  15. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Beautiful and fun cars. I've been wanting an X1/9 and/or a TR7 on and off since the late 70s. The Fiat looks sharper. Thanks for the pictures.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Congratulations, beautiful car. I love the luggage, correct or not.

I had PPF applied to the front half of my 575. Not to my 550, 430, or F512M, which had ceramic coats instead. On reflection I would not apply PPF again.

personal decision..lots of threads on the subject. Get some Michelin tyres if you don’t already and enjoy in good health.

17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Had PPF on my FF don’t like it I’m very old school about Ferrari but boy has it saved my cars front end.

18. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats! You will love it. And you'll find that you won't be driving your other cars very much. ;-).

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Looks great. Congratulations. Enjoy.

20. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Looks great. Congrats!!!

21. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    Thanks. Luckily I do have recent Michelin tires on it! Regarding PPF, I live on the outskirts of Austin and there are a number of large gravel trucks that sometimes travel the main road to my house. So I think the PPF might save me some aggrevation. Was it something specific that turned you against PPF? I'll start a search to check out other opinions too.

22. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    STUNNING car!!-enjoy!...car does not need window tinting though-makes the windows too dark!...just use one of those sun screens when csr is parked

23. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    Thanks. I also do not like dark window tint. But there is a new Ceramic tint that you can get in a really light tint that provides UVA/B protection and reduces the heat transfer through the windows. That's the direction I'm going.

24. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Hi Rick,

My 550 has ppf as i also live in a rural area and the stone chips were coming thick and fast, the ppf stopped them completely.

My father purchased a 1969 1750 GTV new, he still has it, what a fun car to drive, it's what started the Italian car expense account.

You will love the 550, you might want to think about trying to keep the heat out of the car to help the leather , I tinted the windows and also applied a clear UV blocker to the windscreen.

Enjoy