Ansa Exhaust Question | FerrariChat

Ansa Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mwr4440, Jan 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I've found an Ansa for my 2V GTSi, I am considering.

The issue is the exhaust pipe pairs on the Ansa are too far apart by several centimeters for the OEM Exhaust Shroud or 'Diaper' to go back on.

Making up numbers, my OEM Exhaust Pipe Pairs are 86 cm apart. These on this Ansa are 91 cm apart. :(

No way can the Exhaust pipes coming off the muffler be bent in or shortened to accommodate the 86 cm distance between the holes in the shroud. The actual can/muffler would have to have these centimeters cut out of the middle of it for it to work with the shroud going back in place.

Is this the normal 'trade-off' to install an Ansa, Ansa goes On, Exhaust Shroud comes OFF, or

Is something seriously amiss here?

Thanx in Advance.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Probably wrong year and/or wrong version Ansa for your car -- what is the Ansa part number that you are trying to install, and what is the model year/version of your 2V GTSi?

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Steve,

My car is an '81 NA/USA.

Don't know the Ansa Part # for the muffler in question.

What Ansa PN(s) should I be looking for?

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Mark - You want the Ansa FE-2660. Specifically designed for the USA 2Vi models like ours.

Good luck in finding one, though. I spent 10 years (literally) before I found mine.

Even so, "while I was at it", I deleted the rear diaper valence in the name of better appearance.

Pictures of mine, with the last picture of the OEM removed parts:

DM

Attached Files:

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thought that I had a listing of some of the non-stainless steel ANSA F mufflers, but I can't seem to find it. You might give Mr. Fiat a shout as they seem to list many steel and stainless steel ANSA systems (they also seem to indicate that a headers-back US 308i-2V muffler is different from a headers-back euro 308i-2V muffler like Dave indicated):

https://mrfiat.com/italian/ferrari/208-308-328-gtb-gts/exhaust.html

6. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Steve - I suspect that you and I both have the same old Ansa catalog, so if yours is not handy I can dig mine out so to address any questions.

And yes, Ansa did indeed have different 2Vi models for USA vs. Euro spec - for one thing, the hanging supports differ between the two models.

Cheers - DM

P.S. - Mark, here is the Ansa tag of mine (admittedly, not a very good picture, but it should at least be sorta legible):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I just used an air nibbler to widen the diaper cutout to accept the Ansa tip placement.
    Went fast,and looks factory, after just a little filing of the nibbled edges.
    Doug