Anthony Bourdain | FerrariChat

Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by kevfla, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Following Kate Spade's lead, dead by his own hand in Paris at age 61. Just bleepin' stunned!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wife just told me. He had a wife and a young kid. Stunning indeed. RIP...T

3. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Correction: He was found in Strasbourg.

4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yes, RIP. We really enjoyed his shows from Asia, Vietnam, etc.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This is tragic. Used to watch his great show at any opportunity, living in Asia I eat in those same basic places most days,of course his show was not just about food or travel, but about the world we all live in.

R.I.P Tony

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  6. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I didn't like his politics, try to avoid politics in my television viewing. But I liked him and his shows. I was glad when he got the CNN show cause he'd be back on television...…. Having said that. I have lost all respect for him. I don't think suicides deserve any praise at all, not even a funeral. I feel really bad for his daughter who is old enough to be messed up for life by this. What a selfish jerk he is/was!

surfwolf likes this.
  7. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    What a heart less loser you are max930. Clearly you know nothing about mental illness and suicide. I suggest you keep your disgusting views to your self and educate yourself on mental illness.

8. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    You may disagree with a person’s views but to invalidate them by telling them to “shut up” is disrespectful and intellectually shallow. There are people who have been saved by the guilt they would feel for leaving loved ones behind.

JL350 likes this.
  9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Personal attack on another user. 2 day ban.

10. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Pluto TV channel 620 is running all of his shows from several years ago. I have been watching the new ones on CNN On Demand on DirecTV Now.

Very interesting & interested man. Used food to show how we are all mostly similar & a little different & to understand where different peoples came from. To learn about different cultures. Sad loss.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Quite honestly the post which was responded to by this user was completely out of line and distasteful. This ban is really not warranted as mental illness is something and serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Maybe but the initial post was wrong period. To say one doesnt Deserve a funeral for committing suicide is not something in my opinion that is worth being mentioned and even discussed. Pretty wrong to me.

Boomhauer and Gmaccormack like this.
  13. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    I stand by my original comment 100%

atomicskiracer likes this.
  14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Reiterating the same personal attack on another user. 4-day ban.

PureMichigan and Jedi like this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

I am not too sure what is wrong with the moderator. Several people including myself, a paying member who causes no trouble that we are offended by the untolerable comment of the first individual. I understand there are rules there but you should also listen to what u are being told. You punish the insults that’s understandable but what about that first post?
    Again the first post is insensitive, agressive, and not tolerable. I highly suggest and recommend you delete it if you do not want to ban that user. You should be impartial in your judgement not assess a ban if you feel like it.Thank you for attention on this matter.
    Im here for the cars not that nonsense and you should allow for an harassment and respectful place both ways.

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The post that upset you is a viewpoint I don't share, but he did not attack anyone on the site and didn't make it personal with anyone on the site. If you don't like what he said, feel free to debate it like an intellectual - those who lash out in contravention of the site rules will be moderated accordingly.

The attending moderator made the correct dispassionate assessment of the situation.

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good job, Yin :)

Jedi

otterbeinjumper likes this.
  18. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I never liked Bourdain's politics but I loved his shows. Been "binge watching" Parts Unknown the last few days.

Super sad - this whole trend (craze?) of celebrities hanging themselves is just bizarre. And super sad.

Suicide is serious **** - not to be taken lightly or joked about.

"There but for the Grace of God go I"

Rest in Peace, Anthony. You made some really great shows and were a pretty cool dude despite your politics.

Jedi

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hi.

Though the subject matter will elicit a variety of responses to and fro, the bannee not only couldn't figure out what quite needlessly calling a fellow Member a "loser" meant over the course of 2 days, and even doubled down with insistence, he was afforded the opportunity to ponder deep thoughts for a period that likewise doubles downtime.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

PureMichigan and dm_n_stuff like this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Thank you Andrew for your kind and educated response. I honestly feel that the other moderator was acting like a machine not displaying your thoughtfulness.
    I of course, always elect to debate peacefuly without any attacks or harsh words towards anyone.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Lulz.

Yin thoroughly evaluates facts, analyzes micro to macro and all points between and beyond. 360s each component, sums, parts, minutae, insect parts and then some. If it seems he shoots from the hip, fret not, though he's got laser guided missiles, as he is anything but bloodthirsty. No thrill kills, instead, has more restraint than a vegan nun. If someone gives themselves enough rope, he aptly demonstrates the downside of free will.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #22 ylshih, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    You ought to re-examine your premises.

This is a discussion forum. We entertain all opinions, and there is largely no such thing (outside of cultural norms that at least 95% of users will agree with) as an "intolerable comment". For us to agree to declare a position as "intolerable" is for the moderators to choose sides in a discussion where both sides may have very strong and well-supported arguments.

One side might be empathizing with the pain and suffering that suicides are presumed to go through, another side might be representing the bereft anguish of the survivors left wondering "why????" and lashing out with the anger arising from *their* loss and receiving no answer. Both are valid positions.

What we do not entertain are posts where users cut off discussion and dismiss the positions of the other side as "disgusting" and otherwise unworthy of consideration and discussion. Further, not even unworthy, but contemptible and sub-human.

Our guideline is simple. Attack the position, do not attack the user. If a position is flawed, it is readily ascertained from assailing a position. If the assault on the position fails, then the position may not be as flawed as presumed. Users who only "moralize" against other users are not even attempting to listen to what the other user is saying and just presuming they own the high ground, when that is not at all a given.

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'd pile on, but hey, I think the other moderators chiming in have said it all.

HOWEVER . . . I've been here a long time, moderating off and on during that period. I've worked with a lot of mods and find the current batch to be the most level headed and fair that I've EVER worked with.

Yin is very careful and thoughtful with what he does here. His research and homework, often soliciting input from several other moderators before acting, is beyond reproach.

OK, soooory, couldn't help myself.

Carry on.

D

24. Natkingcolebasket69

I wish you had expressed yourself first before assessing left and right ban as if this was the wild wild west. The other 2 moderators did so straight away which is appreciated.
    Thanks for offering a better answer on your reasoning

25. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    When User B calls User A a POS and a moderator comes on, identifies and quotes the offending comments, and says "Personal Attack. Temp Ban". That says it all. This thread or any other thread, me or any other moderator. The message is, it doesn't matter what the discussion is, the specified comments are deemed personal attacks and will not be tolerated. jgriff even expressed the foundation for a prospective action before I even acted. It shouldn't require lengthy explanations for an observer to figure out what was going on. We expect and treat our users as reasonably intelligent and as such that they not require any handholding.

The fact that you don't like first user's post is a separate question and irrelevant to the action. Nor does it matter that you're a paying member, so was max930. Further if you do complain and happen to get a more detailed explanation from a second and third moderator, it shouldn't require me to come back on and reiterate an explanation yet again, only to have you still complaining that I didn't answer you first.

AtomicPunk88 and PureMichigan like this.