488 - AntiGravity Battery Issues - Help? - Start/Stop HELE System | FerrariChat

488 AntiGravity Battery Issues - Help? - Start/Stop HELE System

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SECRET, Feb 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #1 SECRET, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Hi everyone,

My dealer is telling me they are having issues installing the Antigravity battery into the Pista. Apparently the OEM battery has a connector of some kind on it.

Has anyone dealth with this before? Would really love some help on this one!

Here's the OEM battery. That connector doesn't exist on the Antigravity battery.

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I think if you don't connect that, then you don't get the start/stop function

3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Dealer is telling me the error will trigger the "smart alternator" not to charge the battery though.

4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Is there a wired connector affixed to the inlet you mention?

5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yes, the bigger opening is the vent, which doesn't need to be used on the AntiGravity battery. But the other plug (the one that the tech is pointing to) is connected to a cable

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Call Anti Gravity

Boomhauer and SECRET like this.
  7. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Here is one that an earlier post mentioned is made by the same company that makes the Pista one. Hard to tell but appears it could have a connector.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yep, going to give them a ring in the AM when they open up. They close up shop at 4PM, so I couldn't catch them today when the dealer called.

Hoping I'm not the first to try putting this battery on a Pista though -- seemed like there were so many posts/threads with people recommending it!

9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The kind folks at AntiGravity confirmed: AntiGravity H6/Group-48 does NOT work with the '20 488 Pista

Once again, let my expensive lesson be your money and time saved. The support team was incredibly helpful -- I just wish they had this information more publicly available so as not to waste their customers time & money.

10. F12london

F12london Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    London
    thanks for sharing with us.I was also thinking of an AntiGravity battery.

SECRET likes this.
  11. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    What is your Alternative? Replace with an OEM which I understand is terribly expensive? How about the A123 Li?

12. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Just went with OEM. I kept the bluetooth tracker from AntiGravity in there to help me data collect a bit.

13. F12london

F12london Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    London
    What is the difference in cost between OEM and AntiGravity?

14. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Could I just clarify, is the incompatibility due the new battery monitoring circuitry on the Pista Lithium battery (I hear McLaren's are the same, you can only use their OEM lithium batteries to avoid a dash code). It is now due to Start/Stop HELE System as this is fitted to many other F cars.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That extra wire seems to be unique to the Pista. My other cars with HELE does not have it. I.e 488 and Lusso.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SECRET likes this.
  16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yes, the incompatibility is due to what sounds like a LIN connector to a sensor inside the battery pack. It’s unclear if the signal that comes from the battery is simply voltage vs. voltage + additional data like temperature, data on different cells within the pack (assuming multi-cell pack), etc.

I confirmed with the AntiGravity tech that this is a known issue with McLarens for quite some time as well, as you pointed out. It sounds like they are now learning (via my calling them) that this is likely an issue on newer Ferraris as well. Not sure about older Pista years.

As much as I’ve tried avoiding it, I’ve ultimately ran into issues related to being the first “guinea pig” to try different things related to exhaust, battery, dash cams, etc. I’ve learned a lot, and I try my best to document things especially if it becomes an expensive lesson!

To close this out, it seems the battery sensor is used to calibrate the battery. From what I can tell in the workshop manual, the calibration is to watch the battery voltage drift against temperature over several hours while the car is off and disconnected from the battery tender.

Here are photos of the issues that arise if you do not connect that sensor.

17. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Maybe u can buy a battery sensor from 488 GTB then fit it in?

18. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    I’m curious on this as well. I have AntiGravity on my other cars and would like to put one on the Pista

has anyone been able to come up with a solution to this?

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Don’t know about the Pista battery, but the need for electronics for McLaren batteries is a widespread issue, solved by the aftermarket. I don’t know if anyone makes one for Ferraris that need them, but if this is the trend, someone will, eventually.

https://supercargarageatl.com/products/mclaren-battery-module-coming-soon

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Figure one could cut into the old pista battery n remove the electronics for the barnacle they added then turn around and tie into an antigravity battery an get a better result! Might a fun project.

SV

MANDALAY and Need4Spd like this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yep would have done that.

22. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I hope something like this is made soon for the pista. Looks like BMW went through the same thing and now there is aftermarket adapters for its battery IBS sensors: https://europeanautosource.com/collections/antigravity/products/antigravity-negative-battery-cable-w-integrated-ibs-sensor-bmw-f8x-m3-m4

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name: