Antique plates | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Antique plates

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Jul 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Quite frankly I don't want to give your colleagues any incentive to stop me. Regular plates for driving around and specialty plates for shows only. Magnets work well.

2. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you don't pull up with those Prova plates on in September, I'm writing a ticket for proper display!!! :)

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No worries, my trunk is loaded with specialty plates.

I actually have PROVA plates as well, but they were for my other car. Won't bring those. The ones in the pic below are "regular" Modena plates.

4. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I have a set of IL antique plates which used to be on my 1949 Packard. Sometimes I would run 1949 IL plates that I bought on Fleabay w.out any trouble. I did get asked once, but I kept a copy of the statute in the glove box, and thus was able to educate the officer, we talked about the car, and I was on my way.

On a different occasion, a good friend of mine got stopped for having the 1969 IL Governor Plate on his Pontiac GTO instead of his actual antique plate. He got stopped and he too showed the cop the statute. Cop did not like this and wrote him a ticket. He won the battle in court, and now runs with a 1968/1969 Illinois State Police plate with the number "1" on it.

If anyone needs them, I have various IL political plates (state and us house) from the 1970's, and a 1972 IL Secretary of State plate. Send me a note.

I think the price of Antique plates are great, and you can always say you were taking it for a road test after minor work.

5. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil

I'll have to look tomorrow when I'm working, but I don't believe you can run political plates such as those. Those plates are generally reserved for that political office only. When the Secretary of State changes, the former has to turn in those plates to the new office holder. Granted, they're old plates, but that still may be an issue.

I'll post when I find out for sure either way though.

6. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    so is it your interpretation that a 25+ y.o car, driven occasionally does or does not qualify for AV plates?
    Could be driving it after some minor tuning (thanks TwinOne!), or to a car show, or for an estimate at LFSC, Continental, a body shop, etc...

7. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That vehicle was absolutely qualify for Antique Vehicle plates with no problem. Just remember that when you have those plate that you're allowed to drive on the highway "only for the purpose of going to and returning from an antique auto show or an exhibition, or for servicing or demonstration" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). If you get pulled over and asked where you're headed to and you say "Just out for a cruise"..........uh oh. :)

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    #33 Darolls, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    True, but I don't know of anyone that was stopped only because they have AV plates. Of course, I don't know everyone that have AV plates! :)

Of course anyone that is stopped and gets a ticket for misuse of AV plates, becomes a revenue producing cow. As are those that get a citation for no front plate!

9. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #34 badges2, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    In 15 years, I've never stopped an Antique Vehicle plated car! In fact, at my department, I've never heard of anyone stopping one just to verify it's use. I stop cars all of the time for no front plate. When I'm doing it though, I'm really looking for impaired drivers, unlicensed or suspended drivers, drugs, guns, etc. If the driver is okay, 99% of the time I issue a warning and send them on their way. The other 1% tends to issue themselves a ticket!!

Usually the guys who are issuing front plate tickets alone are new guys trying to impress the bosses. New guys also stop everyone because, well, they're new and excited to be doing the job. A good attitude will usually even score you a break with these ticket machines! I'm not saying to kiss the cops a$$, but just be decent. A traffic stop is not the time to try to hand the cop the ice cream cone you were eating to hold so you can find your license! I about pissed myself when that happened to my buddy at work!!! PS: He told him politely, "I don't think so sir."

10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z

I just saw the movie "the hangover".
    guy asks an ER doc directions to somewhere, and he replies "on the corner of get a map and F##K you street"
    apply to similar situations...

thanks for the response.

11. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    GREAT movie!

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #37 INTMD8, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  13. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I think it depends on the officer of the day. I was filling up the Espada the other day and a policeman walked over and said, "I see you have antique vehicle plates. Are you going to a car show on a cold day like this?" I thought I was busted and said I was just topping off the tanks before parking the car for the winter. The cop just grinned and said, "I hear ya. As far as I'm concerned it's a classic car event any time somebody takes something like this out for a drive." On the other hand, there is one particular cop out there who will stop me any time he sees me for not having a front plate on the Dino. I guess there are "car cops" and "non-car-cops".