Any ' 03 Maserati Spyder Owners ??? | FerrariChat

Any ' 03 Maserati Spyder Owners ???

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 1Turbo, Jan 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Have you experienced any Problems with your Engine, Drivetrain etc ?

Does this Car require any Major Scheduled Maintenance ? 30K etc.

I'm debating buying a F355 or an ' 03 or ' 04 Spyder, 6sp Manny Tranny.

What are your Opinions ???

Thanks.

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    #2 scott61, Jan 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 2004 Spyder GT and like you I also at first thought of a F355. In the end I could not resist buying a new Spyder and having the fun of custom ordering exactly the way I wanted and getting all that modern technology that came with it is a big plus. Car is put away for winter now but in the 9 months I drove I did not have one single issue with car. I remember the Porsche dealer who was trying to sell me a 911 telling me about all the problems I would have with a Maserati, All turned out to be false. I find the ride great,cowl shake is not a problem with my 2004 and find ride much better than my previous roadsters, S2000 and Boxster S. The shifting is much better than what I had expected on my GT. As for major service it is not that much different than any other sports car and will be much cheaper than a Ferrari. Plus with 4 year warranty not really an issue for me. Get one and throw on a Tubi and you will have one hell of a car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    We have a 03 Spyder CC.
    Love the car get complements on look in and out. The engine makes fantastic noises, and power / handling is very good.

The only big and serious drawback is that the depreciation on this thing has been brutal. I wanted a 355 Spyder for the same price when we purchased it a year or so ago. Both cars where about 100k. Now our Spyder would command about 60k if sold and the 355 would still be worth over 80 :(
    Another negative is that you also get some F-car snobbery in the local car club circles but that doesn’t matter to us. So far only took car in for alignment and oil change (I like to do the first oil change at around 3-4k). If I were to do it all over again I would probably get the 355 only because of the depreciation. But I will tell you that a used Maserati is a tremendous bargain and is that good.

///MK

4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    A 2002 Coupe GT, but it is the same machine...7.5K service at the dealer (norcal prices) was about $700 on my coupe. The car has a chain, so no expensive belt swap, like on a 348 or 456.
    Get a used Spider. I think the top on the Maser is less fussy than on the 355. One is more of a sports canyon / track carver, while the other more of a luxury focused tranport. Similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. More modern safety and electronics on the Maser....Drive the pis% out of both of them and decide.

thx
    luke

5. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Thanks for the info fellas. You're making my decision a bit Tuffer, but that's a Good thing. If you can think of anything else, keep on Posting !!!

6. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Although late with my response, I figure I would chime in. The only thing the cars have in common, to me, is that they are both Italian! They look, feel, behave, and maintain differently. I have an an '05 360 Spider and a '04 Maserati Spyder. I've also spent a lot of time with 355s (which is the subject of your question).

The Maserati has a sporty luxurious interior and non-edgy styling. It has an awesome, yet slightly subdued engine. It can pass for a daily driver and make non obtrusive trips to work and the supermarket. When floored, the thing becomes a wolf in sheep's clothing. I love it.

The 355 looks, feels, and sounds exotic (especially with a Tubi). It also doesn't have a warranty (unless you're able to get an after market one). The interior is sparsely furnished (just how I like it). Maintenance is a bear compared to the Maser. While you'll get somewhat noticed when taking the Maser to the store, you'll often draw a small crowd if you take the Ferrari.

The Maser is a "during the week" car for us while the Ferrari is a "weekend" car. While many people use each car for each purpose, that's how I see things.

I love em both, just for different reasons. If you're really concerned about reliability and maintenance costs, consider a Maser with a warranty. If you want maximum driving and popularity fun, and can deal with the maint/cost issues, consider the 355. :)

Tim