Any actual doctors in the house (especially med school docs)? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any actual doctors in the house (especially med school docs)?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Huskymaniac, Aug 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    unfortunately to us on the other side this is exactly a very common, albeit true, story by the applicants, if and only if he tells the story like you did. We want to know not just plain why but rather what it means to the applicants in terms of willingness to grind through next 10 years of 80 hours a week, selflessness, and perseverance. Don't tell but show is a good way. Shadowing is basic, but it is his personal reflection that matters. What he learned about himself and how that can influence the readers to believe the projection of him as future successful doctor and bring fame to the top ranked school 10 years after graduation is the key in both personal statement and interview.

Potentials. Leadership. Dedication to protecting human life are well talked about but as cliche as it sounds, they are indeed the core things admission committee look for. The trick is how to make it not cliche in the personal statement.

Personal statement must be personal to him, then it will be easier for the interviewer to ask right questions for your son to open up.

hope this makes sense.

Texas Forever and Huskymaniac like this.
  2. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It does make sense and it is very helpful. One question it brings up is how does a doctor that does clinical work in a hospital or practice bring fame to their med school? I can see how a doctor needs to keep learning to stay abreast of new treatments, drugs and techniques but don't most of those come from research?

The leadership part I get and I think he can speak to that well.

Dedication is a little unclear to me. Anyone can try to articulate that but how does one show that?

I think he is also good on speaking to selflessness based on his experiences. He has been involved in a crisis hotline all four years and even takes the 4AM shift once a week. He ended up a psychology major and biology minor. He likes to be that person people feel comfortable talking too. He has several people that call him on a regular basis.

Perseverance has always been a tough one for me. What is a person simply never had a major obstacle to overcome or a setback that led to trying at something again because it meant a lot to them? He does have a personal example of that but I am, again, not sure he will want to talk about it. Much of his volunteering and clinical experience has come through volunteering and working as an EMT. He tried to join the ambulance corps right from day 1 and it was going well until he got hit with a severe case of mono. Not only did it affect his grades that first semester but it affected his performance on the EMT exams. He actually flunked out. Most people just give up and move onto something else. But he really liked being a part of that team and doing that work. He decided to try again the next semester and flew through it easily. To be honest, his ego took another hit and it was tough to overcome the embarrassment and try again. Now he is a captain in the corps and is in charge of their training. It is ironic but he is also in a unique position to show compassion for other kids that struggle.

What is your feedback on those two stories?

3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    that speaks dedication. Not flaky.
    this is it. this shows perseverance! not every applicant has to have someone died in the family or witness how a cardiac arrest come back in ER as a volunteer, then the dream to be a doctor sprouted. This is actually a good story to share, as long as it is not overblown.

Huskymaniac likes this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    These two examples would win me over to hire him…. They display 2 extremely important qualities: humanism and perseverance.
    He NEEDS to tell these stories and he needs to tell them with pride. There is no modesty in medicine. He should take ownership of these redeeming qualities.
    Human psychology and “listening” is a lost art in medicine. This is an incredible talent that should be fostered in his future in medicine.
    Second story definitely demonstrates perseverance and the “never give up” attitude which is paramount to surviving residency. I will always remember the challenges and failures in residency that molded me towards success. I remember vividly missing a hematoma on a latissimus flap reconstruction for a shoulder sarcoma on a reconstructive rotation. Chief of my department chewed me out so hard, I never ever forgot that. But never give up! Looks like he can carry this torch.
    He sounds humble, but in a sense that can shadow confidence. I would encourage him to be confident in all that he does, that is part of medicine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huskymaniac and italiafan like this.
  5. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I am starting to see the picture you are painting here. It takes me a while, being the engineering type. For me it is all numbers and data. Funny side note. My older son ended up with the engineering gene. I knew it from early on. He even had the same death wish curiosity as a toddler that I had. The younger one ended up like his mother who is the more Shakespear/Linguistic/Earthy type. Sadly, the older one moved to CA to work at SpaceX. He fell in love with the weather. I get it but, damn, I miss him. I am somewhat hoping the younger one eventually settles out there too. It will make the decision to move that much easier. I don't see him getting into any CA med schools as a non-resident. But he is considering moving out there for his gap year and working as an EMT. How much does residency matter? It seems like it varies from school to school.

Here is another interesting story. My son has been borderline obsessed with strength and conditioning training since middle school. He is incredibly fit and very strong. It has come in handy as an EMT and I would imaging it is beneficial to most specialties in medicine. For him, it is an outlet and he seems to come up with crazy things to focus on over time. For a couple of years he was training for the Murph Challenge and he did, indeed, do quite well. During the 2020 Covid insanity he decided to start training his fast twitch muscles so he could try to walk onto the track team in his senior year (this year). Why? Damned if I know. The jury is still out on that goal. But another side goal was to dunk. He is 6'1" in sneakers and he was not born with an abundance of fast twitch muscle. As much as he loved basketball, he was vertically challenged in high school and was never close to dunking. It took him forever to even touch the rim. By the end of the May 2020 he was dunking. I was amazed. But his 100m and 200m times now are even more amazing. He got really quick from really not. I thought for sure he was a distance runner but, maybe not.

6. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks and I agree about Psychology being important. I was really happy when he made that choice. It fit him and I couldn't emphasize enough how important I felt mental health issues were. My wife is a big believer in the impact of mental health on physical health and I am now too. I still won't eat the Dandelions she picks out of our yard though. I have my limits on the whole Holistic health thing.

plastique999 likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I can’t speak for all medical schools but I went to University of Rochester and at that time I was doing my PhD in neuroscience at Harvard.
    Rochester looked for interesting people who appeared to have strong reasons for going into the art of medicine. I was on the admissions committee for a couple years (they had a couple students each year on the committee), because they valued the perspective of students in evaluating incoming applicants; I guess we were like “boots on the ground.”
    I would be handed a 3’x5’ card with the applicants name and where he/she was coming from—that was it. If getting an interview they already decided that the person was qualified, now they wanted an honest assessment of what kind of person the applicant was.
    Everyone had high GPAs, everyone had nice letters of recommendation, and usually everyone did well on the MCAT (at that time Rochester didn’t require MCAT because they were more interested in the person’s story than numbers—but everyone submitted their scores and if so they were looked at).
    The question often comes down to, “what makes you so special we want you in our med school contributing to the community, and will we be proud of you as a graduate?” I know they wanted to know that because we we told to be thinking about that when interviewing applicants.
    I had my published PhD work from Harvard (and had strong letters from 2 deans at Harvard), but in my class (off the top of my head nearly 30 years ago) was a professional opera singer who just toured Europe, Green Beret who had seen service in South American drug war), Navy fighter pilot who recently was flying off carriers in first gulf war, Olympic rower—IIRC he got a bronze medal, single Mom with 2 kids who put herself through school while raising kids and working, and many other similar stories. They all had “side stories” to their school work. Oh...and when we put on the annual play they could all act, sing, and dance like crazy! (Except me..lol....).
    Not sure if this helps of not....

Huskymaniac and IloveGT like this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    exactly. To the op, this is exactly your engineering background with focus on number may bias your view of how to get accepted to medical school. There is another old saying, you can't be a good doctor if you are not a good person to begin with. So focus on building your son's inner core is going to be very helpful in the long run.

9. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    This is where I struggle. He is a sweetheart of a kid. But he isn't a fighter pilot, green beret, accomplished opera singer or olympic rower. And I don't see how those things should automatically indicate that they are good people.

There is a common philosophy among many of the spiritual traditions that people shouldn't see your good deeds. So when he was applying to colleges, how would they know that he would sit with the lonely kids at lunch, for example? I agree with your sentiment 100%. Good people (caring, compassionate, able to work within a team) should make good doctors. So why do schools choose an Olympic rower and assume they will be a good doctor? I just don't see the equivalence. I suppose it could just be coincidence and those people were also good people. If that came out in the personal statement and interviews, great. But it sounds like the selling feature was the unique skill that, on the surface, doesn't necessarily translate to being a good doctor.

I have to tell you, the behavior of some of the parents I have seen is borderline abusive. The things they put their kids through to mold them into strong applicants is crazy. So, yeah, a kid can get published before they graduate high school but that kid could also be irreperably damaged. I thought this was a great article:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924457#:~:text=The%20medical%20school%20%22arms%20race,things%20simply%20to%20experience%20them.

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #35 italiafan, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021

You are indeed correct in many respects and it is frustrating. But what is an admissions committee to do when they get ~8500 applicants for ~110 spots (my enrolling class statistics at Rochester)? Every student has amazing grades, every student has great test scores, every student has letters of recommendation.
    So what are they supposed to use as objectifiable criteria? Every single applicant will tell you (or have letters that tell you) he/she is nice and has a kind heart. Every applicant will do everything they can through documented deeds or in a personal statement to convey compassion, commitment, dedication, conscientiousness, a relentless spirit to never accept a second best result, and of course—a kind soul. As one of my medical school professors once explained “What defines a good doctor?...You’ve been working all day, you’re tired, you finally get to leave the hospital late at night and you are walking across that huge frozen parking lot (remember...Rochester) to your frozen car and get it started and warming up, and then you realize you forgot to check one of your patient’s lab results. A good doctor gets out and walks back to the hospital, a bad doctor drives home.”
    So all else “being equal,” all scores and grades exemplary what does being a Green Beret tell you? What sort of person gets a medal as an Olympic athlete? Who becomes a fighter pilot and flies jets off an aircraft carrier in the middle of the night? Do you want one of those people making the tough calls or pounding on your chest and shooting you up with Epi as you are being coded at 2 am and no one else is around? You’re damn right you do. What is a professional successful opera singer likely to represent as opposed to someone who writes in an essay he/she sang opera for their local school play, or local theater?
    Peoples’ success means something, it tells a story. They want to see that story in many cases, not all cases mind you, but many cases. Remember, every applicant has strong credentials.

Huskymaniac, plastique999 and IloveGT like this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Oh, I think you are focusing onto certain qualification too much. Medical school is not a circus meaning that one does not have to be "different" to be entering medical school. This is what I mean your background as engineer focusing number and data alone would make it difficult to see what is important to admission committee. Let's use Olympian for example. The training they underwent required complete dedication and sacrifice at young age, meaning that they have to have extraordinarily strong will to grind it through 10 years of training, and that means they practiced so much for goals 4 years later, which is like medical students. You study so hard with an unwavering mindset with the goal so far away.

Green beret/pilot fighter - same concept and with more with willingness to sacrifice your life for your country and people you never met and never will meet. Not much speaks more volume about this for sacrifice and selflessness. Then of course teamwork.

It is not what they do. It is why they do what they do, and through the endeavors what personal trait were demonstrated. These are what ad com are looking for in applicants who not only will be a fine doctor but a great one and bring fame to the medical school. Again. Potentials.

So relax, don't get too hung up about other applicants credentials. DO NOT GO TO SDN. You will freak yourself out unnecessarily and inevitably affect your son. As a father, you need to make sure you are supportive to your son the way he sees fit. If there is a potential you will be overbearing, let's take a deep breath. Trust me on this one, as I just went through this process myself with my son, and as a doctor for 17 years dealing with medical students and residents day in and day out until 4 years ago.

Believe in your son, he sounds a great kid who will get in. He just needs to learn how to express his reflections of his own endeavors. You or the counselor can help with everything on paper, but it all comes down to him by himself in the interview.

Apply to many school. Don't be picky. A doctor is a doctor, does not matter what school, of course if there is a choice to choose which school, then it is different.

He may get MCAT of 520, 97% and you can relax!

Like I said if he wants it, he will make it happen.

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    ABSOLUTELY. I used to tell my residents... don't get too hung up with lawsuits and order every single tests on earth to cover your ass. As long as you are treating your patients like the mother you love and do right by the patients, they very likely will know it, and you will be fine.

13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

To the op, sees these two responses from me and him came at the same time basically saying the same thing. That means a lot, right? So listen to us, relax. Your son will get in if he truly wants it bad enough like the Olympian who wants the medal. Do you know how bad he wants to be a doctor? Just ask him what he wanna do if he does not get in the first time? Then tell us his answer. This is also a question that is often asked.

Huskymaniac likes this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Lol...as you were typing I was trying to remember the pearl of wisdom correctly, and corrected it. :)

Huskymaniac likes this.
  15. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks again for the great conversation. I do hear what you both are saying. And some of these examples make more sense than others. The fighter pilot is a good one. But what if the thing a person is willing to grind and sacrifice for is medicine and only medicine? Up to that point, they may not have found something they were truly passionate about and/or required that level of will and sacrifice. I think I hear you say that such a person will find a home at some school, somewhere. If so, I think we have come full circle. How does this person, the non-olympian, non-fighter pilot, decide which schools to apply to? Should this person even bother applying to Harvard, for example, regardless of how good their stats are? You don't want to waste time on an application that has no chance. On the flip side, if there is a chance, Harvard can open doors and increase the number of options down the road.

I promise not to go to SDN and I do have a heightened awareness to try and be helpful and supportive without being overbearing.

IloveGT likes this.
  16. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, I definitely see the common threads. You guys have been a great help.

17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    My son has great credentials even in my eyes, and I have pretty tough eyes. He applied to top 50, interviewed at 2 of top 5 and mid-top tiers schools, and he now is in NY. Apply as many as humanly reasonable, because the secondaries are a biaych to finish. Definitely apply to Harvard, you just never know. Number 1 mistake for premed at this point is overestimating one's own credentials and only apply to tops school. Apply top, mid tier and bottom tier school. You just never know!

Huskymaniac likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #43 italiafan, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    (My advice is from my experiences in early-mid 1990s.)
    He applies to many schools because different schools will have different agendas and emphasize different things. Some schools prioritize primary care, others are more research based. He can look into committing himself for a period of time to Native American health service, if that program still exists. I think for each year of Med school you pledged equal time to doing primary care to underserved areas. If it is really important to him maybe look into doing some similar service for a year or two before applying to Med school. But don’t do it just to buff an application, they are good at spotting that—there needs to be a consistent theme to his story. There are also D.O. schools, still competitive but a little less so than traditional allopathic Med schools. He can still do specialized fellowships, or primary care with a D.O. In my medical community there are excellent D.O. primary care docs.
    Another thing is apply around the country. Schools often have demographic diversity criteria. They want people from around the country and all walks of life to fill out their class. A kid who worked on the family farm in South Dakota adds interest and diverse points of view to a Med school in NYC or Miami for that matter. If he is from NY then Minnesota or Hawaii may find him more interesting as well.
    There are many avenues, and if determined he will realize his dream.
    And yes, he should apply to Harvard and many other top schools, there is a capricious nature to the process and his application could spark someone’s attention. It is arduous, but so is the education, so that better not be a barrier.
    My medical partner’s son applied to many colleges, brilliant kid, and was getting shot down left and right from his dream reach schools. He got accepted to Yale. The guy responsible for representing his application to the admissions committee wrote him a nice letter and told him the reason he pushed for his acceptance was because, “Anybody who can put Cicero and Eminem together in an essay like you did deserves to be at Yale.”
    (Just to expand on that anecdote above about Yale, a little life lesson that may be germane: he wanted to do physics at Yale but had to change majors because it was too difficult and competitive. Another friend’s son got accepted to UCF in Orlando (Honors College) and majored in physics. He has a beautiful suite in a gorgeous high rise dorm, dedicated buildings for the Honors college, and got hooked up for an internship with some NASA affiliate, or maybe NASA itself—not sure, not far away near Cape Canaveral. He apparently is loving it and has a bright future lined up in aerospace.)

Huskymaniac likes this.
  19. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    How is he liking our awful weather? This summer has been terrible in terms of getting a Ferrari out on the road. And I hear you about applying to a diversity of schools. The challenge is picking them. I know he is applying to Stony Brook for sure. He will also apply to SUNY Upstate as the doctor he shadowed in high school is now the head of surgery there. He will probably apply to SUNY Buffalo too. Most likely he will apply to LECOM. On the other end he will likely apply to the NYU schools because, well, free. And he will probably apply to Harvard because he loves it there. That's where is starts to get fuzzy.

20. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Boy, this post hit on a bunch of interesting points. First, being from NY, we never benefit from the geographic diversity factor. There are a ton of hypercompetitive kids from the NYC area. It is what it is I guess.

That program you mentioned does still exist and I brought it to my son's attention. The DOD one does too but my wife is against him going into the military. Here is where it gets interesting. He has mentioned that he might want to be a doctor at a prison. He has brought this up several times over the years, going back to high school, so there is something pulling him in that direction. We have talked about it in some detail and it became apparent that he has put a lot of thought into it. Working at a prison actually fits into the program you mentioned. It makes it financially feasible.

The story about your partner's son is very common. It is a known issue, especially, for URMs. Malcom Gladwell writes about this in one of his books. So many kids go to schools they aren't prepared for or are crazy competitive and it chases them off their chosen path. But going somewhere less "elite" allows a person to grow and thrive. My older son wanted to go to Harvard but didn't get in there or MIT. Not that Cornell was "easy" but it ended up being the perfect place for him. Sometimes it takes a few years to see the reasons why god or the universe puts you on a specific path. He might not have ended up at SpaceX in sunny CA if he had gotten into Harvard. On a personal note, I ended up at State U as an undergrad because we were poor and I was not a URM. I ended up getting into MIT for grad school. I eventually switched fields and ended up at the University of Rochester to study Optics and you may know why that is significant. So, yes, being a big fish in a small pond is something I personally experienced and I remind the younger one of the value of that.

italiafan likes this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wow! You are a Rochester optics guy!? They have a very very highly regarded optics program.
    Then you can appreciate the story of walking through that huge parking lot from Strong Memorial freezing at night...lol!
    My wife and I bought a house in the 19th ward across the river and had many cold mornings and nights walking to and from.
    I loved my years at Rochester Med and doing my Internal Med at Strong Memorial...great place!

Huskymaniac likes this.
  22. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Oh yes! The cold weather isn't too bad until you have to walk a long distance in it. My oldest son was born at Strong. The doctor (Fletcher) asked if I wanted to look. I said no way in hell!!!

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My oldest son was born at Strong. At the time I was a resident and one of my resident friends helped with the delivery.

I hope your son finds a way to fulfill his dreams, it has been a great privilege to be a doctor (now retired). Medicine is drastically changing but still needs great compassionate people.

btw...during my ob/gyn rotation in Med school I had to catch a couple dads who passed out during the delivery. :)

Huskymaniac likes this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    as we speak, he is having storm right now and 90F tomorrow. Why does he have to apply for DO right away?

25. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you suggesting saving DO schools for a second round of applications if he doesn't get into any in the first round?

NYC was hit really hard last night. NJ is a war zone. 11" of rain in some spots plus tornados.

Ida Floods NYC Area: Live Updates, Photos and Video
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/09/02/nyregion/nyc-storm

I don't understand how anyone sees that in a subway and doesn't immediately run back upstairs. I will walk and get soaked...