Buy

Any actual doctors in the house (especially med school docs)?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Huskymaniac, Aug 24, 2021.

1. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    No do it. I can attest to one patient of mine who had a normal Cologuard and now stage III colon cancer - of course everything has a failure rate. The colonoscopy is easy (had mine). They talk to you and the anesthesia kicks in and all of a sudden you are in the recovery room as if nothing happened. The modern prep recipe only makes you run to the bathroom for about a 4-6 hour period - manageable.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Remember the saying, "no finger, no gauiac"?

IloveGT likes this.
  4. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Karting

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I wanted to bounce something off you guys. He is starting to think a lot more seriously about his gap year. After getting a good score on his MCAT he was thinking about tutoring other students who need help but can't afford a course or tutor. How does that sound? I was thinking pretty much any state college will have a fair number of kids from low income situations so that gives him flexibility in choosing a location.

5. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Personally, since medical education is so long at the minimum of 7 years (4 yrs med school + 3 yrs for short residencies), I can't see the benefit of a gap year unless of course you don't get in the first time. My second daughter is Pre-med and when we were visiting schools, we noticed that many universities advocate a gap year but had no good explanation as to why except, that it's easier to get in after 1-2 years from graduating college. I assumed that it's to tout their med school acceptance rate.

My thoughts are that if you can't get in at end of undergraduate studies then you are forced to do a gap year in which case do it but otherwise get in as soon as possible so you can complete your medical education by age 30 or shortly thereafter. The rest of your cohorts have already begun their lives, marriage, families etc.... While there is a great sense of accomplishment in becoming a physician, I won't lie that on occasion I wished I could have enjoyed my young adulthood like my friends did, but then again that is the sacrifice that I chose to make.

6. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Karting

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    He is already locked into a gap year as he is currently a senior. Lots of things led up to this. Not having enough of the right AP classes to finish the pre-reqs by the end of his sophomore year plus having a pretty severe case of mono his freshman year. I have always been ok with it because I remember how burned out I was when I finished undergrad.

So now he has to start picking schools to apply to, start what he can on the application and do something productive in the gap year.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    FL and NC
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think that is an admirable project.

Huskymaniac likes this.
  9. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Karting

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Also, do you guys know of any research opportunities that he could do in his gap year? I know he is interested in cancer research after taking a course in cancer biology. But I think he is open to anything interesting and challenging.