Any actual doctors in the house (especially med school docs)? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Any actual doctors in the house (especially med school docs)?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Huskymaniac, Aug 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Almost guarantee to acceptance with superb gap year which my sister, ex brother in law and old friend still rave about after 30 years - Peace Corp.

2. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

3. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks. That is very good to know. I find it interesting that everything he expresses interest in falls under the envelope of primary care.

4. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hate to open up a can of worms but here is another question. What do you think the impact will be if the supreme court rules in favor of Students for Fair Admissions over Harvard? I am not sure how an undergraduate admissions committee or graduate admissions committee could guarantee that they don't know the race of an applicant. And, if they can't, how can anyone really prove that quotas were being implemented? I mean, sure, it appears obvious from the data but data doesn't prove intent. Also, data can be flawed and definitely has uncertainty built into due to potential confounding factors. For example, I don't think Asian students have been specifically targeted, as this lawsuit claims. I think anyone that doesn't fit into a protected group is being discriminated against. The numbers look a little worse for Asian students versus white students due to other factors that are considered in holistic admissions. And, of course, this case was originally in regards to undergraduate admissions so I don't know if it will need to be applied to med school admissions.

5. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    It is possible the check box for race will come off applications if the plaintiffs prevail. Yet as you mention applicants have potentially photos, certainly interviews, etc so it can be obvious as to an applicant's background. If the admissions process doesn't project a sense of the applicant than someone is doing something wrong. Now whether an institution will internally have conscious or subconscious choices in the process is unclear. It will be difficult to audit and frankly in the current political environment no audits will happen....
    True story, I was denied acceptance to my state's medical school only to be accepted elsewhere. I was better for it - a much better school (although I paid more for tuition) and the clinical rotations (important for the next step of residency were better). Anyhow I met a guy while in med school I became friends with. He later told me he was courted by my state's school, would have received tuition assistance, was getting personal phone calls, encouragement, etc, etc. He declined them but I thought the nerve of a state institution, that I paid taxes for, to attempt to get someone out of state just to balance the "numbers".

6. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    @IloveGT @italiafan @plastique999 @BMW.SauberF1Team @Xrayv8

Hey guys, just thought I would pop in and give an update. The primary application was completed a few weeks ago and he has started on the secondaries. I left the primary app up to him, his mom and the advisor we hired. They decided not to check multiple boxes for race even though he is a small percent Nigerian. He ended up applying to 30 schools. At first I thought that was a lot but, apparently, it is necessary with this broken system. He is spending the gap year on shadowing and working as a personal trainer. I am not sure if it counts but he ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks with a burst appendix. So he got quite a bit of shadowing experience, sorta. He gained a lot of respect for nurses and also got to see the life of residents and med students.

Xrayv8, plastique999 and italiafan like this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Glad he is ok and got to see the perspective from the patient side. That’s good experience. Best of luck to him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It was a bit concerning at times. I was in California visiting his brother at the time. I put off leaving early but when he spiked a fever and had to go back in to address an infection, I flew back to NY. With IV antibiotics and a second drain, he fought that off pretty quick. But then his bowels wouldn't "wake up" and he was puking up bile for several days. Eventually, it resolved itself. The second drain had to go in with just a local because had eaten. He said it was the worst part. I told him, it was basically like being shot in the ass.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Major ouch!
    Glad he plowed through it and stronger for it.

10. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It was made worse by the fact that he is a big weight lifter so his glutes are pretty big. Lots of muscle to push through.....

His primary application was verified last week so he got a flood of secondary requests.

One thing that amazes me is that most schools only give them 2-3 weeks to respond if they get an acceptance. It makes it tough if you are still waiting on a school you prefer more.

11. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    @Xrayv8 my son applied to Jefferson Kimmel so, maybe, our kids could end up at the same place! She would be starting in 2023, correct?

@italiafan he also applied to UofR! That would be super close and convenient for us to visit him.

He only has three secondaries left to do and, other than that, we just wait to see if he gets interview invitiations.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I was shocked to see that @IloveGT was banned. Shocked, I say!!!

13. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  15. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    @italiafan @plastique999 @BMW.SauberF1Team @Xrayv8

He ended up getting a second acceptance, a waitlist and is awaiting another decision. He is also still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools but it feels late in the game to get an interview invitation.

italiafan likes this.
  16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Any acceptance is fantastic and I mean that.
    I’ve had friends that couldn’t get into med school in the States and had to go to foreign countries for medical school.
    You should be proud!

Huskymaniac likes this.
  17. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I am and he is pretty excited. After talking to you guys and watching the process play out, I can say that it is pretty nutty. I was confident he would get in somewhere but I knew the chances of getting in nowhere were not zero. He got into a couple of good schools. Getting into the very top schools seems to require stuff beyond ability, character and potential. Some of those things I think are still way overvalued by med schools. Some are often contrived by the parents of the applicants. But I get it to some extent. The schools are overwhelmed by applicants to the point where they are both looking for anything to justify rejecting an applicant to thin the herd and looking for something unique to quickly separate the thinned herd.

The school he is leaning toward is the one school that had in person interviews. It had a big impact on him. I find it very counterproductive for schools to still have virtual interviews.

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony

Another update. He is up to four acceptances and is still waiting to hear from a handful of schools. To this point only one rejection has surprised me. Once all decisions are final, I will be asking you guys for your opinions on his choices.

italiafan likes this.
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s awesome!
    Can you list the 4 so far?

20. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Sent you a PM.

21. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony

There are only two schools left that he is waiting to hear from and I doubt he would choose either over his existing choices. So here are his four options:

1. Rush Medical College
    2. Buffalo
    3. Stony Brook
    4. New York Medical College

What information or insights do you guys have on these options? Also, what factors do you think he should be considering when making his choice?

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Congrats again!
    I can’t shed any light, as I’m on the west coast and don’t know NY too well.
    I will say that personally what worked for me was that I went to a small mediocre med school, Penn State (probably because I messed around too much at Hopkins)…it was in the middle of nowhere (Hershey, PA) so with no distractions, I studied my tail off and fortunately matched at my number one residency choice in plastics.
    The 2 lessons I learned is that:
    1. Try to be a big fish in a small pond
    2. Network and write papers for the Department chair of the area of medicine or surgery that he is interested in.

What field of medicine was he leaning towards?

23. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    @plastique999

He is still conflicted. He really liked his neuroscience classes and he has shadowed and liked surgeries. But the residency length of neurosurgery is concerning to him. We were joking about a video circulating online about a neurosurgeon completing his residency and then having a retirement party the next day. Do all Neurologists do surgery?

He really likes strength and conditioning training so maybe something in sports medicine is a possibility too. And then there is a desire of his to deliver babies. No idea where that came from. It sounds like you would suggest he narrows things down quickly and start networking/shadowing/doing research.

Are you by chance a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon? A real life Doc Hollywood?

24. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    So the first decision in medical school is to decide if he is a “thinker” or a “doer” - basically medicine or surgery. If he likes to do things with his hands and likes to see results, then a surgical field will wage his interest. If he likes to pontificate and intellectualize, then perhaps an area of medicine. There’s a fictional book, “the House of Gods,” that describes the differences between those that choose medicine vs surgery.
    Neurology is a medical residency, whereas neurosurgery would be the surgical residency…similarly, cardiology vs cardiothoracic surgery.
    He will figure it out.

Lol, I do practice in SoCal, but I’m not centered in BH or Newport Beach.
    Btw, if he ever wants to chat, my door is open. I’ll PM you my info.