Any airline pilots here taking an early out? | FerrariChat

Any airline pilots here taking an early out?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ak Jim, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I’m thinking about doing this. Definitely having some mixed emotions about this big decision. Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    My wife, a wide body MD11 captain for FedEx, is going to ride that purple beast into the grave. They're going to have to pry her cold, 65 year old hands from the yoke before she gives it up. She could retire at any time and it would simplify our life but the entire point of being a pilot is to fly the big iron.

Give it up before you have to? You'll regret it. Where are you going to get your heavy metal fix if you quit now?

3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I know too many guys who stopped because they didn't enjoy it any more, or worse even dreaded it.
    So I always hoped that when I stopped flying, it would be at the point where I'd still want just one more flight.

After a test flight one afternoon, I met two of my former COs at the O Club.
    To my surprise they gave me a pitch to leave the squadron early to help stand up a new unit.
    They both knew how much flying meant to me and didn't take leaving lightly.

Flash forward; I still wake up every day hoping my name will be on the flight schedule, and miss flying more than anything in the world.
    But I am also very content with my decision to take the uncharted path they offered.

One final point:
    At the time, I didn't know that test flight would be my very last flight.
    Never saw it coming.
    And will be forever grateful I didn't.

Texas Forever and Bisonte like this.
  4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I wasn't flying but I was at the top of my game and enjoying going to work every day. I retired at 65 "just because I could" and I have regretted it ever since. I could have gone on for another 10 years. Luckily , they asked me to come back to PD twice more and I added 4 more years. I think that if you enjoy what you are doing and you are still good at it, keep it going.

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    If you don’t mind sharing, what factors made you consider retiring?

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #7 JLF, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    My dad is 85, was forced to retire early at 57 when Eastern went on strike and he still says frequently.....”man I wish I could go fly with you on your trip today”

ralfabco and Jacob Potts like this.
  8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #8 Ak Jim, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Sure. Here goes. Flew USAF 8 years, A-10. Flew AKANG 20 years KC-135. On KC-135 stuff like chief of stan eval, instructor, deployment commander. So that’s some of my mil stuff. Here is the airline stuff. Hired summer 98 at NWA. Spent about 1/2 year on the panel. NWA is really the company I wanted to work for. With in the first year moved to the 747-200F based in ANC, living in Fairbanks this was great! Was on both the pax and freight versions. Got to fly all over Asia. You’d go to Narita and there would be 300-400 NWA pilots/FAs at the hotel. Then there came Sept 11. Huge displacements. I was supposed to be furloughed but just held on to the bottom of the list. Then in 2004 there was the bankruptcy. Still at the bottom of the list. Lost pension and lots of work rules. Then in 2007 the retirement age went to 65. Virtually no retirements for the next 5 years so in 2012 14 years after being hired still in the the bottom 20% of the list. Then there was the merger with delta in 2008. Had 1200 pilots hired after me put above me on the seniority list, did not use date of hire. Well the first edict out of delta is we fly people not cargo so the freighters were gone and a lot of Asian flying with it. At least we still had the flying out of NRT with many departures to lots of destinations. Also flew between HNL and four cities in Japan. This flying was structured as long trips. Usually 11-13 days. You’d go to work and get it done flying to great destinations. Well delta doesn’t really like Asia so with ALPAs agreement they started dropping all of the destinations. BKK, TPE, HKG, GUM, SPN, FUK, just name a few gone. All of the flying was sent to Korean Air. At least we still had the HNL to a Japan flying with the long trips. And all of this time I’m still in the bottom half of the seniority list. Now the HNL to Japan flying is gone. And I’ll just throw this in there also. While delta was giving all of the flying to Korean all of the really great Asian employees that worked in those countries were of course all let go, that was pretty sad. Well I finally made it to 1/2 way up on the list. The Asia flying is gone and with it the long trips. For me this means I’ll have to work, along with commuting 3-5 days a month more than I have been. Could upgrade to 737 captain but I’d be so far down I’d never get any holidays off or summer vacation and most of the trips I’d fly would be red eyes.
    Add on top of this there is the crap going on with the CV adding another layer of pain.
    The highest position I’ll be able to hold by age 65 is mid way up on the 737 or very junior as a 757 captain.
    I don’t know, am I expecting too much? If I could remain as a 767 F/O and do the long trips flying between HNL and Japan I’d probably stick around. But the prospect of being gone another 40-60 days a year is not a pleasant thought.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sorry to hear how you've been stuck at the bottom half due to the strange way moving around between airlines works. What about moving into a test pilot role with Boeing, GE, Rolls Royce, etc? Doesn't have the long haul you're looking for to Asia, but it would be something new and on the outside doesn't seem to have as much politics.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Move to long-haul freight? Move to foreign flag? I like the test pilot idea....
    Whatever; seems as though delta is not a great answer longer term...
    Good luck to ya!

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Delta is probably the best run US airline. They have just determined they can make more money domestically and through joint ventures with foreign airlines. Who knows. Maybe I’ll stick around and bid the 330 and just drop a lot of my trips.

12. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Delta huh? You know a former Navy pilot named Steve Cobbe?

Cmall1 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. HarryC

HarryC Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Harry Chambi
    No early out for me, love flying the B-777.

kylec and renman95 like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dude, you’re an aviator!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I don’t have any skin in the game but here is the other side as I hear it... There are a lot of young guys hoping that the older ones will hang it up as they wait to see what the next couple months bring. A lot of folks I flew with on active duty got tired of living in the military version of Office Space that is the USAF and jumped to the airlines in the last few years. It looked like a pretty solid plan... get hired on with one of the majors and scratch the itch for military flying in the Guard or Reserves. Now the bottom has pretty well fallen out on that. The house they bought leaving active duty that were located at whatever hub they desired aren’t looking so convenient as they are looking at trying to stay afloat on Reserve pay. For the military it’s been a bit of a boon in the short term as folks come back from the airlines looking for work but I’m not sure it will really fix the massive issues the USAF has had with pilot manning.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Funny you say that... If I’m out somewhere in a flight suit people walk up all the time and ask if I know so and so. Half the time it’s somebody that flew helicopters in the army and half the time it’s someone from the unit that retired 20 years ago. I always try to be really nice, the taxpayers are our benefactors after all, and given the semi-high profile of the unit and totally public nature of the mission it’s just good practice.

The one exception is a guy named John Fox who was a F-4 Phantom guy back in the day but has been with the Hurricane Hunters for quite a long time. I have had people come up to me in the most random places around the world and ask if I know him. At this point it’s just funny... of course I know him, what I’m more curious about is how they happen to know him. He’s like Ferris Bueller.

17. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    I think the decision has been taken out of a lot of people's hands ie: the Qantas long haul guys have been asked to take 2 years leave without pay. The 747 guys are gone. I doubt the 380's will come back out of the desert. Not a lot of options.

John

18. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I’d be gone in a heartbeat if I could. This conforming to unity with masks, zero respect for anyone in authority, and yet another merger/staple around the corner, this career is NOT what I signed up for when I started flying for the airlines in 1996.

But having said that, the job has provided me with a nice lifestyle and I love flying the metal, which IS why I signed up for the job. Every 10-12 years there’s a burp in the industry and this is that indigestion that causes the heartburn.

Good luck in your decision. The next 17-1/2 years will be an eye rolling journey for me for sure!

cheers
    Dave

Thomas Magnum and renman95 like this.
  19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Jim, how old are you?

Are you still in the Guard? Could you retire and just fly in the Guard? What about the State of Alaska? I know they have a bunch of airplanes up there doing fire work and other stuff-- how about that? Or retire and fly Dash 8s for someone up there until you turn 65? Personally, I'd be over trying to get a DC-6 type rating from Everts...

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Age early 60s. Retired from guard almost 9 years ago with a decent mil retirement which helps a lot. Probably going to go out and see what’s up at the local CAP. Talked to a guy I know there and he says they really need people, especially instructors. Sounds like a good program to be involved with.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you are early 60s, I'd probably take it. Then go find something else--- CAP is good, or maybe Northern or Everts could use you as an instructor?

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As one of the many people who helped design it, thank you for your support!:D

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Me too.

24. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    My BIL applied for and received permanent leave of absence from American back in April. 777 captain, 62.5 yo and 34 years with them. Say he’s happy.

Ak Jim likes this.
  25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I did 8 years ago from AA! Never looked back!

aseweepay, Texas Forever and Ak Jim like this.