Any ATV/dirt bike riders? | FerrariChat

Any ATV/dirt bike riders?

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by JeffB, Mar 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    After a long hiatus from off road vehicles, I'm finally getting back into them this year. I grew up riding dirt bikes & quads in Texas, but never got back into them after moving to Michigan because there aren't many places to ride around S.E. Mich. In Texas we were spoiled with endless places to ride without ever needing a trailer.

I see that there are a bunch of good places to ride up north. I hear that the Mounds (near Flint) are a hazard because of the jeeps, trucks, etc... causing massive ruts. The Silver Lake dunes look pretty cool, but I prefer dirt instead of sand. I'm not sure if it's mostly sand or if there are expansive areas of it that are dirt only.

If anybody has any good tips, suggestions, etc... on where to ride, I'd love to hear it. Also, if some F-chatters would like to plan a certain day/weekend to go riding, I'm definitely down. I figure we'll be going everywhere from northern Ohio to the northern Michigan throughout the year.

BTW, I have a YZ250 (2 stroke - the sound is music to my ears) and a Raptor 700R.

2. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    behind my old neighborhood... Not huge, I used to go running through those trails; but it is good fun. maybe 150 acres of wooded hills and trails.

There used to be more places and trails where we'd ride, however so much has been lost due to subdivision development in the last 20 years.

3. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Is your old neighborhood anywhere near Northville/Novi?

Google Earth is a very useful tool for checking out places to ride. I've been trying to see if I could finagle a ride through the back of my sub and into more rural areas of Northville, but I don't think I can pull it off due to trees (and not wanting to ride on private property). If I'm going to ride directly from my house, I'd have to ride on the side of a road for at least several hundred yards before getting to a big field.

4. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #4 nthfinity, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. Lotus241

Lotus241 Karting

Jan 23, 2008
    Ohio / China
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I am a avid motocross rider. What kind of ridding are you after. Tons in the area both state and private. Are you a track guy, trail guy, a mix? Tons of local tracks offer "practice days" There a few "private clubs" that have some great tracks and are really only called a club for zoning restriction reasons. Local MI trails up north, some down in NW ohio. Both require stickers to be legal.

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I am a street rider, but have been thinking about getting into ATV's, so I will follow this thread.

BTW, if anyone needs a good bike trailer I have one.

7. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Thx Isaac.

I'm definitely interested in both track & trail riding. I've heard of a couple of tracks in Toledo, but I didn't get details about them yet. Do you do most of your riding in your area or do you go all over (including Michigan)?

Do you need separate stickers for OH & MI if you ride in both states or does 1 sticker make it legal in both? Also, I heard that MI requires 2 strokes to have spark arrestors on state land. Does OH require the same?

8. muira89

muira89 Rookie

Sep 1, 2006
    northville, mi
    Full Name:
    brennan
    Silver Lake is a good time. I would suggest going on an off-weekend (ie. not July 4th, or labor day, etc.) because they limit the amount of people into the dunes with permits. They offer the permits the night before you plan to ride and there is usually a line.

If you prefer dirt there are some nice trails up on the north eastern side of the state around Mio and Lucerne. A think a lot of people camp in Mio and do day trips around that area - trail access is easily accessible from downtown. Ma Deeter's is a popular lunch stop. In Oscodo county it is legal to ride on the shoulders with an ORV so its easy to get around. There is also a new dirt track ( M33 motorsports park) in that area that I've heard good things about

Just need this damn winter to be over to take the toys out!

9. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Theres some really good trails around Gaylord area if you want to drive a bit.

10. italianjoe

italianjoe Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2010
    dearborn heights mi
    Full Name:
    joe
    #10 italianjoe, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Yeah I've heard Silver Lake becomes a madhouse on holidays. Thx for the tip on trails in the NE, I'll look into them. Baldwin, MI is a place I've heard a few times now that has good trails. Here's a YouTube vid of some guys riding their quads up there, which looks fun...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZAUJlOyZCc]ATV Riding in Michigan 2010 (GoPro HERO HD) Yamaha YFZ450R (A Day To Remember) - YouTube[/ame]

12. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I'll probably head that far north a couple of times this year, but having to drive 3-4 hours to ride will get old very fast, so I'm hoping to find some decent places to ride much closer to me.

Nice bike. KX250? The Cadillac track looks really cool. Do they allow non-members to ride on it? I read the "new member info" PDF, but it doesn't mention anything about allowing non-members to ride. I wouldn't mind becoming a member, but it's too far for me to participate in meetings, maintenance, etc...

13. Lotus241

Lotus241 Karting

Jan 23, 2008
    Ohio / China
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #13 Lotus241, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    In the Toledo area you have:

Delta Raceway ( Wauseon ). I personally steer clear of it since they run it both ways so landings are actually jump faces. Lots of people go to the Iron man races on the weekends and just run it at their own pace. They have some practices too.

The Maumee State Forest in Swanton Ohio. Need ORV sticker. It used to be an Michigan one was good to go, not sure any more. I think you can get one at an Ohio DMV but not sure how it works for a Michiganer. We need Ohio registrations to get stickers, not sure how it works out of town. I see if the DMV can tell me. Its like a three year sticker. Needed at all Ohio State areas. Worst case I might be able to loan you one for a day :) .....lol.

Directions - State Route 2 west to State Route 64 south. Left on State route 64, then right on County Road 131 / Sherman White Rd. Left on Township Road 2. Should see a small brown ORV sign at the intersection. Parking will be down the road on the left. Whoops, whoops and whoops. Some tight trail. Some times a mud hole, sometimes a desert. It will keep you in shape. The Ranger only cares about the sticker..or acting like a fool in the parking lot. Never seen a spark arrestor even checked.

Redline Racing Fremont Ohio- goredlineracing.com.

There are private tracks all around the area- sort of a ride and meet some people and you can find yourself invited to them.

Michigan has tons of options also.

You have the entire Michigan ORV trail system network which you can research

Baja Acres Millington MI - bajaacres.com

Log Road MX - logroadmx.com Great user friendly track. Good introduction to track ridding if you have never. Wide, open, groomed, most things wont kill you if you come up short or over shoot.

Bundy Hill -

Red Bud - Although a national track they have a few open rides each year. Good chance to go out an ride a pro level track to help make you feel like you suck. Be prepared for a crowd and clowns but can be a fun day. Its a huge track so even with all of the guys who should be out there on it, its pretty tame.

Irish Hills - A quiet, friendly private club track. They only have 5 rides a year but its a great natural terrain track...up hills down hills , woods open. Membership plus ride but for a whole day ride as much as you want...its a deal. And its one of those places where you meet the above mentioned owners of private tracks. If interested let me know.

RiderPlanet USA - ATV Trails, Motorcycle Trails, Motocross Tracks Try this website....tons of info.

Ray

14. Lotus241

Lotus241 Karting

Jan 23, 2008
    Ohio / China
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Update

From Ohio DMV website on ORV stickers -

"In order for residents of other states to use their APV/off-road motorcycle in Ohio, they are required to purchase a one-year registration unless they are covered under the certificate of reciprocity as specified in the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 4503.37."

What type of vehicles are allowed on ATV trails?
    1. All-terrain vehicles 50 inches in width or less.
    2. Current license, and Ohio all-purpose vehicle APV registration/license required. Ohio APV registration is available at the nearest Bureau of Motor Vehicles office: ODPS | BMV | Page Not Found. For information on APV license plates go to ODPS | BMV | All-Purpose Vehicles (APV's),Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles.
    3. If your dual sport motorcycle is properly registered and licensed with the BMV to be "street legal", you do not have to register again (i.e. get an APV plate) to be legal off-road.

FOR OUT OF STATE VISITORS: Ohio has restored all-purpose vehicle (APV) registration reciprocity in the state of Ohio. This allows the owners of OHVs registered in other states to ride in Ohio without obtaining an Ohio APV registration. Indirectly, the bill also allows Ohio residents to ride Ohio-registered vehicles in certain other states without having to register their vehicles in those states. For example, Pennsylvania will only recognize an Ohio APV registration if Ohio in turn recognizes Pennsylvania's registration. Click here to see the law. For a link to Frequently asked questions go to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle Site at: ODPS | BMV | Frequently Asked Questions

I think your cool with your Michigan one...but you might want to call to just see. Worst case you need a the temporary one year one.

15. italianjoe

italianjoe Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2010
    dearborn heights mi
    Full Name:
    joe
    Jeff not really sure if you need to be a member the owner is a friend of my sons I will ask but pretty sure if you just wanted to go up for a weekend to ride you could pay for a weekend rate.......and yes kx250 2 stroke.

16. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Ray, excellent, thank you for the info! All of those tracks you listed look cool. We'll probably be heading out to the first one (possibly Baja Acres or Log Rad) within the next couple-few weeks, or whenever Michigan finally warms up.

Do you race or mostly just ride casually? I used to ride on a couple of different tracks way back in the day, but that was when I had a YZ80. It's pretty surprising how little has changed with dirt bikes since I was a kid (other than the big shift towards 4 stroke bikes). I love the sounds & smells of a 2 stroke bike too much to have gotten a 4 stroke.

Thx for the info about ORV licenses/stickers. Our Michigan stickers should be arriving within a couple of days. When I go pick them up, I'll confirm if they're valid in Ohio or not. If not, I'll get Ohio stickers for them too so we don't have to worry about it at a later time.

17. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Cool, thx Joe. I'll give them a call within the next week or so to get some info about non-members riding on their track. Let me know sometime when you go riding in case we happen to be in the same place on the same day or weekend.

18. mike hal

mike hal Rookie

Jul 15, 2009
    I own a 1985 Honda 250 Big Red 3-wheeler. Its a great workhorse for around the yard.

19. Lotus241

Lotus241 Karting

Jan 23, 2008
    Ohio / China
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #19 Lotus241, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jeff,

No not a racer by any means. I am a desk jocky by day. I am too rational in my old age...too much risk in it for what I would will get out of it at age 39. No way I am gonna be a pro so I dont try. I can go out an spin laps with a lot of my friends that are A Class riders no problem but I am a solid Novice B rider and stick to that class during practice days. I actually have gotten more into off road trail and enduro riding in the last few years but still enjoy track days.

I currently have a 2010 YZ250F that is currently undergoing modifications for the 2013 LA / Barstow to Vegas ride out west. And should pick up my 2013 YZ250F later this week which is what you most likely will see me on unless I am out doing a shake down ride on the 2010.

I do have a few 1980s Cagivas also. I use to restore them several years ago but sold them for a diamond ring...the things guys do. I just recently started hording more of them and have 4 motors undergoing rebuilds and a 1987 Cagiva WMX125 and 1991 Cagiva WMX125 being put back together.

My Current 2010 YZ250F set up for my Desert ride. Pardon the mess it was a long winter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Nice bike. I hear ya about not trying to become a pro. As much as I'd like to, I don't really see myself hitting a double or triple at Red Bud. :)

The LA/Barstow to Vegas ride looks like a blast. Do you truck your bike out west yourself? SoCal & Nevada look like the ultimate places to ride.