Any Dead McLaren Batteries Out There... | FerrariChat

Any Dead McLaren Batteries Out There...

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Ingenere, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As you know (or may not), our cars come with a proprietary McLaren Li-ion battery that (of course) has some extra connections and your friendly McLaren dealer wants roughly $3K to replace. I don't know about you, but I think that is outrageous.

I have a buddy that owns a Li-ion battery manufacturing facility and when I told him about this situation, he said that our batteries should be rebuildable to new for much less than $1K. Because, the Mac battery has an additional connection and some electronics, its not straightforward..... but far from impossible.

If anyone has an old battery, we would like to reverse engineer it, take it apart and see what it will take to rebuild. This will be a great help to the community and help all of us keep our cars on the road for a reasonable cost. PM me if you can help.

2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    This would be such a cool project!! I don't have a battery but I wonder if a dealership would sell a dead battery... you could pose as a battery collector and just want to add a old mclaren battery to the collection :D:p

3. kevinsmart

kevinsmart Rookie

Apr 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kevin Smart
    I have one for a 570S. I’m checking whether it is easily repaired. If not, I can make it available.

4. Danspeed

Danspeed Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan noye
    I think the other factor in cost is the incredible lightness of the battery it is considerably less heavy than a normal car battery

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The Mac battery really isn't that light. It's at least 25 pounds.

Kevin...Let me know if you have a battery that you can donate for this project. Thanks.

I may be working out a solution for McLaren battery replacement. Stay tuned...

openwyder likes this.
  6. Kainedogg

Kainedogg Rookie

Jan 5, 2008
    ALDIE, VA
    Would you update this thread or start another to track your progress Ingenere?