Any endocrinologists in the house? | FerrariChat

Any endocrinologists in the house?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by technom3, Oct 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just wondering if the chat brain trust might have an endocrinologist. I have some questions I'd love to bounce off of you

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm a mechanic, but this is an area of interest of mine. What questions ?

3. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I'm a radiologist and we do a great deal of imaging for thyroid, pituitary, and other glands. You can pm me or post it.

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hi

I appreciate it.

It's regarding my daughter's hormon levels. I guess there was a concern of a tumor on the adrenal gland but after another round of blood testing due to the levels not changing much (about 2% higher than the last blood test 3 months ago) they said typically when their is a tumor it goes up greatly.

Oddly enough since you are a radiologist... They looked at her hands and growth plates and the radiologist measured it at a 12 and my doctor said it's a 9 he doesn't know why they are saying 12. I don't if that's years old or whatever... But she is 7.

Anyways been a bit stressful going through it. But I think we are on the better side of things than it could be

5. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    The test you're referring to for the growth plates is a Bone Age study where a single xray of the hand is taken and compared to a standard plates of images for boys and girls with a standard deviation. We examine the xray and compare certain bones in the wrist and hand and estimate the skeletal age of the child. From what you've said, the 12 maybe the referring to the 12 year old child's hand resembling/matching your daughters who is 7 years old in which case that would imply that the bones are advanced for the age. If it matches the 9 year old plate then I would say she your daughters xray is still a bit advanced as the std deviation could be around 12-15 months (I don't have the atlas with me for a definitive #). Nonetheless, I am assuming your doc has the book we use when we interpret the images which is Gruelich & Pyles Atlas of Skeletal Development. Be sure this is what your doc has compared the xray to.

technom3 likes this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I sincerely appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help with this.

He recommended in 3 months (6 months since the last) to go get another x-ray but at a different facility. He wants a different lab to weigh in on the age. He said sometimes the lab workers will look at previous charts and sort of Match or go along with the previous person's ruling. And just to be sure to get a fresh pair of eyes on it.

I didn't think that was a bad idea.

7. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    No worries.

Not a bad idea at all. Just be sure they have a radiologist read the film (an MD) and not a PA as some states allows PAs to "read" for radiologist. I'm in NJ and we don't have radiology PAs so we read all of our studies. I also say this because many facilities won't perform Bone age studies as they only pay a few dollars so not worth the time for some centers. So pick a facility that does them routinely so they have proficient docs to interpret them.

technom3 likes this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I would recommend you get a copy of all of the radiology images on a CD/DVD (DICOM images, not some JPEG screenshot). You can always upload those studies for a second opinion at a lot of well known groups across the US. For instance your physician can submit the images to CHOP (no affiliation) for a second review. https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/department-radiology/resources-for-professionals

It's very important you get a radiologist (physician) to read the study. In my residency, the pediatric hospital had some radiographs (xrays) read by the primary care doctors and the radiologists (MDs) would have to do random reviews occasionally to make sure they were accurate...not every study. A lot of practices are like that.

Xrayv8 and technom3 like this.