Any experience with the Land Rover Discovery? | FerrariChat

Any experience with the Land Rover Discovery?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KennyH, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Just curious as to their reliability and how steep the maintanence is on a Series 2.. Also, how does a series 1 differ from the series 2? What were the differences in model years? What do look out for?

Thanks!

2. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    I had a '99 Series 1, the last year for the Disco' 1. Frankly, it was a piece of junk. While the drivetrain was pretty much everything it was supposed to be (based on the legend/its reputation), the fit & finish was deplorable. It had been a dream of mine to own one, but I'd never buy another, any model from any year.

Just my personal experience; maybe others have had better luck.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    One of the lotus owner members here is a LR employee... I'm sure he could help out. EspritSE

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I hear they are real POS's, not to mention slow. i could run the 1/4th mile faster on a bicycle.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I was the a sales manager at a Land Rover franchise for 2 years from 1999-2001.

They are absolutely remarkable off-road vehicles. Nothing is better, except maybe an M-1 Abrams.

They are also absolutely the biggest "P.O.S." ever manufactured that I have seen in my 16 years of selling "high end" brands.

In a few more years, if Ford still owns them and is able to do the LR what they did to Jag, I would buy one, as I would buy a Jag today.

DO NOT consider the "Series I" unless you are prepared for the repair bills and down time that come with it.

The "Series II" was a major improvement, but having said that, the "Series I" was sooo bad that you probably will not be impressed with a used "Series II" either.

If you absolutely have to have one for "real" off-road use their performance will amaze you......if you want to be a "poseur" around town you'll hate yourself for it. There is just too much that is wrong with them for me to continue typing here, unless radical changes have taken place in all of the areas of assembly, design and manufacture in the last 18 months since my absence from the brand....but I seriously doubt it.

Lease a new one and return it before the warranty expires if you must proceed down this path.

6. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    KDS

What's your experience (or anyone else) with the Freelander?

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I was given a new 03 Disco when my RR was in for regualar service.

OMG I thought fit and finish was in most people's head....but god it was put together like crap! You had to put the key in just right or it would not go in the ignition.

That said it was fun to drive. I really enjoyed it. If I was buying a beater SUV I might pic one up. Might. But that is since I can put up with little things like that.

But I would never have recomemded it to my mother when she was looking for a SUV/soccerman SUV.

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

SMC....

Well, the first couple we delivered required complete transmission replacements at about 2,000km.

In the words of the new LR tech rep....."better to swap it out for a new one than try to fix it...it gets it back into the customers hands faster". Now that's a nice approach towards CSI in my mind.....hopefully things are changing.....and fast. I don't consider the transmission swaps as representative of a problem since "excrement occurs" and this never happened to the other units from what I have heard.

Not really too much to say about them that was negative as I only had a couple of months experience with them before I left the company.

On a positive note, they drove great, but were somewhat deficient in off-road activities, but then again, that was not their target market in the first place.

9. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Sounds like I should run far far away from any LR.. Shame too, badass trucks..

10. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    KDS, i hate to bother you with another LR question but what about the range rover preferibly 96-98 model years. Also is there a difference between the HS and HSE besides the motor, and is one better then the other?

11. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Our experience has been great thus far. For the money we paid on a new '03, it has been pretty good. Fit and finish is okay, power is way better than it used to be (still needs another 80HP or so and dual exhaust), torque is good. Brakes aren't bad but the suspension gets a little hoppy on rough pavement while braking inducing ABS. Sounds system is fine and we have the DVD option.

Gas mileage is deplorable. Our plan is to run it to the end of warranty (2007) and pick up either a new one (getting redesigned for 2005) or pick up a Pepper S, X5 or whatever else may be around at that time that we like.

My wife really loves it. I like the fact I can haul my car with it.

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Pre 01 are problems The new product has a lot of issues worked out in them
    They are the best thing off road (I know what that means) and really good on road (don't expect SUV to stand for Sport Usless Vehicle) just dif intent than speed

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
  14. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think he was looking at the new generation RR, I'm looking at the last generation. If that was directed at me.

15. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Carmaster-

If you're looking for a pre owned Range Rover, the best ones are the 1999 model and up... They have the updated Bosch electricals.. When it was owned by BMW, BMW made improvements in this area. They are a bit more reliable..

16. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Who? what? Ok, I'm awake now..

If you are looking for a Discovery, I would reccomend getting at least an 03. They are twice the car as the 2002. Upgraded brakes, springs, shocks, castor specs, 4.6L V8, and over 300 improvements in NVH. I have always been a Range Rover man myself, but recently purchased an 03 Disco for my fiance. I think that it is now my favorite after owning five Range Rovers in the last seven years. I don't sell them, I fix'em, so take this for what it's worth......would you really want to own a 99 Range Rover when it goes out of warranty?

PM me if you need some specific questions answered.

Craig

17. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Thanks Craig- that's the response I was looking for.. THANKS GUYS!

18. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

carmaster.........

Up here in Canada we sold two versions of the RR.

A 4.0 SE and a 4.6 HSE.

To keep it simple, "in Canada" the 4.6 HSE had, besides the more powerful engine, better looking 18" wheels, a better stereo system (more speakers and more power), more wood trim and leather trim with contrasting seat piping in most cases, better color selections both inside and out and the option of a wood steering wheel and shifter.

That's about it.

I'd buy the newest one I could afford.......with a GOOD EXTENDED WARRANTY..............and the 4.6 HSE variant of course.

Oh....and I'd only buy it in black on black or black on tan....all other colors (in our market anyways) are a hard sell.....especially the burgundy (Rioja red).

Cheers.........