Any folks here ever gone to the Monza F1? | FerrariChat

Any folks here ever gone to the Monza F1?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Strasse, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    You only live once!
    I can't imagine a better year to go and see Ferrari race, and since I've never seen a live GP I'm thinking it's a good time to start. :)

I was wondering if anyone has made the trip to Monza for the F1, I'd love to hear any feedback and advice any folks have about the experience.

I'm thinking of buying through the Monza website, but according to them, on the main straight they only have room available either in the back 2 grandstands (Tribune #4, #26) or the one at the very beginning (Tribune #24) Thinking of going for #24, but I was wondering if the back 2 are actually much better.

Plane tickets shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    40 of us went in 2001. It was pretty crappy. I'd always wondered why Australia was so regularly voted top GP for the year. The facilites were crap, the grandstands were crap, the monitors were crap, the views were crap, 10 trillion people smoking all around me was crap. On the sunday there was only a short F3 race, porsche race then the GP. That's it...nothing else for a whole day! You may as well go, though, you only live once. We were at the end of the main straight in the grandstand....i THINK they were the second most expensive tickets, second only to the seats over the pits. If that was the best grandstand, I'd hate to see the worst.

Good Luck.

3. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Yes, having talked to people who've been to see many GPs you always get an anti-climactic response. The chaos and crowds, not understanding what's going on in the race, etc, it is just something you gotta put up with it seems.

Thanks for your feedback :) Via the Monza website it seems the grandstand you were at is sold out. However, the F1 Ticket website (http://www.f1ticket.info) still has room avaibale almost anywhere, albeit its all more expensive. Tossing up between the two right now, but if I gather corrently, it's all the same.

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I went to Monza in 89 and due to the late decision to go decided GA would have to do.

Well it cost me $25 for a ticket from the scalpers at the entrance and getting a bit of dirt at the Parabolica was fantastic and I hate smokers as well but there seemed to be very few where I was.

The incredible thing I saw and have many pictures of is of all these Italians coming into the track with large pipes and all sorts of other stuff!!

seems there is a huge bunch of these guys who do this every year and they actually build their own grandstand!! 3 tiers high with seats, stopwatches, TV cameras (the real thing, not video cameras!), eskies, BBQ.....they are really organised :)

The only problem I had was trying to get out when the thing finished, the crowd will be going towards the podium which is opposite the exit naturally and you will have no option but to go along with it.

I think you may enjoy it more as a GA than up with the high priced ticket people at Monza which is exactly the opposite to the Oz GP

5. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks for the feedback, John. That sounds like a blast :)

Recently in a magazine I saw pictures of dozens of tifosi who, after having carved the guts out of a huge Pepsi billboard, were all sitting inside it to watch a race. We're talking demolition level damage here, with a fifty foot drop if something important were to fall off. True fanaticism!

By the way, how did it go with the 348?
    Best of health to you and the family.

6. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    leaning heavily towards the 328 as 348s are getting into the expensive maintenance area and if you can't afford to look after them then forget buying one.

If I only go to one more GP it would be Monza at the Parabolica, although second time around the thrill would be dulled. It is all about atmosphere and being at the event, from a spectators point of view ANY GP sucks unless you are in the corporate marquee tents with food, drink, TV, lap dancers.....

I hear there are some special deals going on for the Monaco GP if you are interested

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Gatecrashing the Oz section I know...

I have been to Monza a number of times (from memory, 87, 90, 92, 97, 99, 01). I've also been to Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Hockenheim, Magny Cours, Paul Ricard, Monaco, Imola, Spa etc. etc. Monza is easily my favourite. And I usually go in the main startline stand for the race (Gen Admission for the practice days which includes access to many of the grandstands). The only problem with GA is that the Italians get there really early and get the best spots. And are quite likely to erect their own scaffolding stands there as well.

No, you don't get a stunning view of the whole track. No, there aren't a million support races (at least not these days). Yes, the prices are high (as they are for all European GPs). But the atmosphere with all the history (especially the awesome banking) is fantastic and so, IMO is Italy. I have always stayed on Lake Como (which is stunningly beautiful) and last time, having driven from the UK in my 348, took the train to Monza for the actual race. I'd certainly recommend that. Much easier getting in and out with a free bus service for the short distance between the station and the circuit gates. For me a large part of the enjoyment of F1 has always been the history and at Monza 99% of the crowd are fellow Ferrari fans as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed it every time I've been and sorely regretted not going the years I haven't. If you like your racing raw Monza is for you. If not then it isn't.

Incidentally, Nigel Roebuck (F1 correspondent for the UK motor racing weekly Autosport - see Autosport.com. His weekly AskNigel section is often intesting) lists Monza as his favourite race and tells of the year he saw a faltbed truck outside the gates with a big sign on it bidding motorcyclists to chain their bikes to the back for security during the race. I think you might be able to guess the rest! Suffice to say there were a lot of Italians looking in vain for the truck that evening...

8. forzasab

forzasab Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Yeah mate im going to Monza this year also, i bought my tickets thru the Monza site. I'll be sitting at the first chicane which is going to be awesome (slow corner get to have a good look at the cars), and then listen to them as they accelerate away!!!!!!!!!
    Its funny that for the same position grandstand in melbourne it would cost me an extra $300 (approx) for 2 tickets over the weekend.

We're also going to stay in the city of Bergamo which is only about 30kms away.

Hey maybe we can meet for a slice of pizza!

Oh yeah did i say that we are going to the GP during our honeymoon!!!!
    Shear coincidence!!!! lol

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So, did you go?

10. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You know he did, we were sitting on either side of him ...... Scott didn't like the concrete seats :p

11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    You don't even go to the Melb GP, PP from 2004.

Monza is still my favourite race I have been too, maybe Schumie winning that day in a Ferrari helped :)

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't... You're right.... And there's a good reason....otherwise I would