any GOOD CAR MUSEUMS in PARIS?? | FerrariChat

any GOOD CAR MUSEUMS in PARIS??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Parnelli, May 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    The family and I will be there for a week next month. Any "must see" car museums to visit? prefer Ferrari and Porsche. Also, it can't be too far out of the city. Thanks!!

2. JoeErkenbrecher

May 22, 2018
    Rocklin
    Full Name:
    Joseph Erkenbrecher
    I know, I know... you said that it can't be too far out of the city and you want something more about Ferrari and Porsche, but one of the most famous automotive museums in the world is only 5 and a half hours south east of Paris in Mulhouse, France.
    CITÉ DE L'AUTOMOBILE MULHOUSE http://www.citedelautomobile.com/en/home
    This museum has one of the largest Bugatti collections in the world, including one of the 7 Bugatti Royals. Might be worth taking a ride on one of the fastest trains in the world, either the Eurstar or TGV, assuming they go to Mulhouse.
    Have a fun trip. and remember that as long as you try to speak their language (butcher it to death, but try) the French will help you as much as they can.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Not sure how close the Mullin is to Paris let alone any of the others !

If you can compromise to planes: http://www.museeairespace.fr/en/

Also one or two manufacturers have special showrooms on the Champs Elysees

4. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    You are right Joe, this is THE "must see" museum if you are car enthusiast

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I also highly recommend the Schlumpf collection at Mulhouse.

Matt

6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    This - one of the great auto museums. You could probably do a day trip by train from Paris (only a couple of hours, from memory). And the name is pronounced "Moo- lose" we had trouble getting there the first time because we were asking for tickets to "Mull- house" :rolleyes:

7. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I checked put of curiosity - GDL-Mul 07:23 - 10:03 return Mul- GDL 16:56 - 18:41 on TGV

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Plus you get a ride on the TGV.

You’ll take the fastest modern French technology to see the fastest old French technology!

Matt

Wade likes this.
  9. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    The easiest one is the Renault showroom on the Champs Elysees. When I went in '93, they sold new cars on the ground floor and the museum was on the second floor. In amongst the road cars was the Etoile Filante, a land speed record car. I believe they also had a Renault (Alpine) A442, the model that won the 24 hours of Le Mans outright in 1978. I'm sure you'll find yourself nearby and it's easy enough to pop up- even if only for half an hour to take a break and see some old iron.

There may be a display at La Defense. When I went there, they had what amounted to a substantial museum of cars on loan that represented a small fraction of the Schlumpf Collection. An incredible sight to behold, even if it was only a piece of the overall collection.

There used to be a museum in Pantin. I didn't get to go there but it had a good reputation. I don't know if it's still around.

Finally, I found a trip to Levallois-Perret, the location of Charles Pozzi very fruitful. I believe they've since moved their main location but it merits looking into. I took the Paris Metro there, walked to the address poked around/asked around and found they had a storage garage which was essentially a drive in basement right off the street just FILLED with Ferraris, old and new. There were vintage Fcars there and amongst all of them there were even competition Ferraris dating back to the 1950s in and amongst everything waiting their turn for service.

I get that you want to see (primarily) Italian and German iron. My advice is this- find what you can, but don't sleep on the Frenchies. They've been into cars and racing longer than anyone. They have a distinguished history of engineering advances and they take a backseat to no one with respect to taking design risks/trying to build beautiful machines.

If you can find any time for a day trip, there is of course, the Museum at Le Mans. Apparently 3.5hrs by train. As a bonus, there's the Cathedral at Chartres on the way.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The Cite d’automobile and the Schlumpf are one and the same..and I completely agree with everyone that it is an amazing museum and place to visit. I haven’t seen a better car museum in the world, and the whole experience is fun - if you book in advance you can take some of their vintage cars out on the mini-track at the back of the museum, and either way you can watch old timers going around the track from the cafe terrace, which serves great food.
    The architecture and design is also great. And it’s huge- an astonishing collection.
    At the back of the main hall, there is also a Ferrari simulator which you can play on. It’s based on a 355, from the late 90s, and is fiendishly difficult. You have to get through two levels even to be allowed to drive on the manual box (it was a time when F1 was replacing manual) and I have never made it.
    Well worth the day trip from Paris and as others have said the TGV is an experience in itself.
    Mulhouse is also a pretty and interesting and pleasant town. Once part of Switzerland.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Here’s a picture from my last visit to the Cite d’automobile - I visit every year with my car-mad daughter. Sorry for my presence in the pic, but you get an idea of the scale and beauty of the place.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    As mentioned earlier, a visit to Charles Pozzi in suburban Levallois is worthwhile. Although I'm in Paris every May I haven't been to Pozzi in a year or so, but they're nice folks and have some very cool cars on display. In fact, when I last walked in, there was an F-40 parked beneath the clear floor in the entranceway, such that you walked directly over it, and the display window included an F1 car, among others.