Any new Defender Owners | FerrariChat

Any new Defender Owners

Discussion in 'British' started by Qksilver, Aug 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Awaiting my allocation. Curious if we have any owners here - and if there are insights or experiences that one might share.

-Joe

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Subscribed as I'm also interested. I've been really pondering this car but worried about the usual Land Rover stuff.

3. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    I bought a 2022 110 HSE about a month ago for my daily. It’s my only modern car (last modern SUV I had was a 2015 X5M). I’m still formulating my overall opinion of the car but long story short I’m happy with the purchase. I think it suits my needs well and don’t see anything else that I would rather have.

I needed a modern car (I have 3 cars ranging from 2003-2007) and I bought it because it’s one of the few new “reasonably priced” cars that interests me (Lexus LC500 is the other but 3 two door coupes wouldn’t make a lot of sense). I love the looks and to me it’s the less pretentious G wagon (I love the new G but needed/wanted something that isn’t so overtly flashy).

I have no real need for off-road capability but I plan on taking it to an off-road park later this week to mess around a bit. However, this is likely just a mall crawler for now.

Driving impressions: the P400 6 cylinder is adequate. Up to highway speeds it has plenty acceleration but passing above 75mph takes a little more planning. I don’t regret not getting the V8 because that’s only offered in all black interior. I would not get the 4 cylinder. Handles fine for regular road driving: brakes and steering are good for what the car is and you wouldn’t wish for anything more. Ride quality is good but not quite Range Rover supple. When I had my X5M the thing I hated most was the overly stiff sports suspension which made no sense on a SUV. The Defender is smooth and comfortable but it’s not a magic carpet ride. I don’t have any of the silly exterior add ons but there is definitely real wind noise above 70mph.

The interior is pretty nice. Keep in mind that it is an off-road or “lifestyle” car first and not a Range Rover product. The seats are comfy and the leather is typical JLR. The AC and seat heating/ventilation physical controls are great. The interior space is very practical with tons of storage, tons of 2nd row legroom, it’s an airy cabin and overall an enjoyable place to be.

The electronics are where I start to get mildly frustrated. I’m not a touchscreen fan and wish there was a I-Drive style physical controller. The real issue to me is the lack of positive engagement or consistent engagement of some of the physical buttons that do exist. For instance you can change the track or station with an arrow button on the steering wheel, but you have to hit it in exactly the right place or you’ll be clicking away and nothing happens. Similarly the gear lever requires a little patience and you can’t just yank it to drive or throw it in reverse. This has nearly lead to a few incidents in my first month but I’m getting more aware now. The parking sensors are way too sensitive. Maybe I haven't figured this one out yet but the keyless entry seems to be very hit or miss. Way worse than BMWs from the early 2000s and sometimes you’re in a parking lot yanking on the door handle like a madman before you just get the key out and unlock the car.

I ordered mine at the end of March and it took 3 months to get it. I got every option (excluding most of the exterior add ons). The top level stereo is just OK. The Clear Sight rear mirror is pointless. The cooling center console is great.

Overall I’m enjoying the new Defender. It has a lot of style and it actually gets a lot of attention with people asking me about it or complimenting it. It’s extremely practical, drives well on the road, and is plenty comfortable. There are some minor annoyances with the electronics and controls but it’s a JLR product so what was I expecting. Time will tell if it is reliable but I’m used to owning cars I enjoy and fixing them when they break.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JAM1, Qksilver and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Alistair! Appreciate the time. My build will have steel wheels (purely based on personal preference), so I'm relegated to base models. Ok with me though, my intent is try to stay somewhat aligned with the ethos of the Defender mission so relatively basic is ok with me.

Mellow_Maranello likes this.
  5. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    To follow up, my order went in a few weeks ago. JLR is being hit hard in the chip/semiconductor space and delivery timelines are a bit mysterious at the moment. I'm working with the GM of my store and his initial delivery estimate is January, so going with that for now; I am somewhat optimistic, however, given the basic nature of the spec.

Ended up doing a Hakuba silver P300. Steelies w/ offroad tires, Cold Climate Pack, black headliner, clearview mirror, and premium headlights. Will do the wheel arch protection and mudflaps after delivery. Aside from that, looking forward to daily duty sometime in '22!

6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I have mine from March brand new with the 4 cylinder.......13,000 miles drove from New York to Colorado and get close to 40 mpg.
    iTS just a great truck! So smooth........
    In New York you just glide over the homeless and potholes.....
    Its a wonderful wonderful truck and it hit the price point perfect.
    My friends still waiting on plastic no show Broncos paid more! Bahaaaaa
    You will love it.
    GTJOEY1314

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    cool truck but way bigger in person than i expected it to be. seems more hulking than big range rover. would like to see it compared to new bronco

8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I ended up buying a 110 about a month ago. Searched all over for one in inventory which was a nightmare as no dealers will sell outside their territory. Lucked out with a local dealer that had a customer order one that couldn’t get financed when it came in so I grabbed it. I absolutely love it. Rides well even though I didn’t get air suspension (will on next one I order). Sound system (Meridian) is good. Has the P300 but it’s really peppy for around town. This one has tow pack and I’ve already used it to pull an open race car trailer and it worked well. It’ll pull our winter toys up north this winter too. There’s really nothing I’m unhappy about although the air isn’t as frigid as our other cars which may be a service item. I also got ceramic tint done and plan to black wrap the c pillar so it all blends together. It’s a really cool looking rig and I like the retro hints with modern finishes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    You cant compare to the Bronco, If the Bronco ever comes out.....
    The build quality of the Defender is a TANK.
    Its huge inside but not as bulky outside.
    Typical goofy british switch placement and lever for shift but its cough cough, its all part of the charm.
    I have the air ride, its sooooooooooooooooooooooooo smooth!
    Im constant 40 mpg
    One thing as mine is early, The ELECTRIC brakes are a bit touchy.
    Supposedly you can reprogram , Im fine with it as you can stop on a dime.
    Other than that.
    Its really great.
    GTJOEY1314

95spiderman likes this.
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^which model? engine? price?

sainthoo likes this.