any new feedback on Novitec 812 exhaust? | FerrariChat

any new feedback on Novitec 812 exhaust?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by ChrisDiRe, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    Considering doing the Novitec mufflers, xpipe and controller on my 2020 812SF...I searched this forum and there hasn't been much posted...

Has anyone actually installed one on their car and you can give me the pros & cons?

THANKS!

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I'm not sure what you searched for but there is a TON of discussion on this forum about Novitec exhausts for the 812.

I had one on my 812 SF and moved it to my 812 GTS. I would suggest reading the forums and if you still have specific questions please PM me

Thanks,

Karl

3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I'll be doing this soon as well.

4. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve done exhausts on a lot of my cars but I really think they nailed the stock sound on the 812. I really don’t have any motivation to change it. It’s an angry beast and the high pitch sound is just perfect for me. Even at start up the bark is pretty loud. Idle and cruising is ideal. But please post any new clips. Love to hear and see what’s out there.
    I love this car
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl

That's my car with Novitec rear boxes, x pipe and sports cats (200 cell). Video doesn't do it justice (as always!) but it's significantly louder than stock and more high pitched. It's the GTS but obviously same engine as 812 SF so a SF would sound the same with these modifications.

highly recommended!

vonbeeler and gliazzurri like this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Perhaps it is not the same engine exhaust note because of GPF, did you remove GPFs on your GTS? By your description ("more high pitched") I presume GPFs removed? If so, are you using a plug-in device at the OBD2 port (under dash) to prevent GPF fault codes?

7. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Karl I hope you don't mind me answering for you.

Yes he removed the GPF when he installed the sport cats. The novitec techtronic was also installed to prevent check engine light for the GPF.

Here is a thread where he details what he did.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/additional-info-on-gpf-removal.633882/#post-147624557

Avia11 and KarlA69 like this.
  8. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes agreed. Epic

9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    there’s better out there for less. try brooke race (full inconel) or kline (stainless or inconel).

JesseRohr likes this.
  10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Better? I'm not sure I've heard better for the 812 than Novitec. I know it wasn't kind to you, SECRET, but this is killer.

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Luckily as you probably know from your research, in the V12 world, unlike the V8s, the exhaust system layouts have been nearly unchanged for quite some time. That said, having first hand experience with their V8 system, their service, their sound, and their build quality, I still believe with their outrageous prices, you are paying for their YouTube content, their online/print media advertising, event sponsorship, and the free gear for their YouTubers/influencers/non-professional drivers that they sponsor. You are not paying for top notch performance, quality, service, or engineering. To be frank, you're not even paying for top notch packaging, which shows you where they're spending their dollars besides fattening their pockets.

Having dipped into the high end of aftermarket parts here, the consumer and the product is not their focus.

You can and will get much better out of their competitors.

Novitec's header back system costs an eyewatering $21k USD for the stainless one before taxes and labor
    Their more economical x-pipe and rear silencers are $14k USD for the stainless setups before taxes and labor
    I'd check out Capristo, Kline, and Brooke Race first. Kline and Brooke are top notch inconel systems. Capristo is stainless at half the price. There's also other options if you want to stick to stainless or even titanium.

Gh21631 and JL350 like this.
  12. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    It makes sense to buy different types of kit from different brands. Would I pay a huge amount for an x pipe from Novitec? No, it’s a pipe.

For the rear boxes on the other hand, I do think Novitec have an edge.

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    understandable how one could think that. there’s nothing mysteriously special happening in how their silencers are designed and manufactured vs. others.

Gh21631, JesseRohr and SeattleStew like this.
  14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Karl, which sport cats did you get? Sorry if I missed it.

15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #15 Frank_C, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Have no experience with Novitec exhausts but that appears pricy for plain ol' SS. In looking at the Brooke website a lot of bang for the buck there- much less money for a superior alloy. I have a Dundon Crack pipe in my GT3 RS which is Inconel.

SECRET likes this.
  16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Brooke Race Exhaust 200 cell cats. Very happy with the quality and install

for Novitec, yes they are expensive and I don’t think worth the money for sports cats or x pipe. I have the Novitec rear boxes and they are great. Everyone has different preferences for what sounds good, but to me the Novi rears are worth the money

Lagunae92 and SECRET like this.
  17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    In addition to the better alloy in the Brooke, I really like the fact that the silencer is only on the valved pipe and the open valve is a straight pipe and not silenced.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums likes this.
  18. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    I took Karl's advice and I did in fact order the Novitec x pipe and mufflers, but I went with the Capristo valve switch as per recommendation from my dealer. Lead time is about 6-8 weeks, so after I get it installed I will give my feedback....and I'll post some videos!!!

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

19. nicholas9976

nicholas9976 Rookie

Oct 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I recently got the Novitec muffler & x-pipe installed. Here is a video comparing the stock sound with the new sound:
    I will be getting the Novitec down pipes installed later ( with OPF/GPF delete and race cats) so will update this then.
    Personally I think the change is modest and I wouldn’t bother to just get the muffler & x-pipe done. If I was doing it again I would just get down pipes done first, for the louder sound. Then if I wanted a higher pitch sound lower in the rev range I would also get the x-pipe installed. The muffler will have very limited effect on the sound and perhaps should be the lowest/last priority.
    The Novitec muffler/x-pipe sounds higher pitched from about 4,000 RPM but then doesn’t increase in pitch as much between 4,000 RPM and the 9,000 RPM redline (compared to stock). That also means that when you change up a gear the drop in pitch isn’t as much and so the change in gear isn’t quite as obvious. Novitec gives a lot of burbles when you lift off the accelerator at low RPM (I think if they happened at higher RPM they would probably be pops, but the Novitec exhaust only makes them at low RPM so they definitely sound like burbles). The Novitec valve controller can be set to closed before start up and the valves will stay closed during cold starts keeping in quieter, which is an important feature if you don’t want to really annoy the neighbours.

SirTony76, Gh21631 and nimamd like this.
  20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Thanks for the video. I definitely prefer the sound with the X pipe. My complaint is that you lose a lot of low end grunt, as you said, with gear changes, etc. I could barely hear my 812 with X pipe only when on the freeway. It was epic in a tunnel of course, but not sure the tradeoff was worth it. When the GTS arrives, I'm not yet sure what to do. Did you get a Novitec X pipe? I had a Capristo, and the designs are a little different...

21. nicholas9976

nicholas9976 Rookie

Oct 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #21 nicholas9976, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    Yes, I got the Novitec x-pipe & muffler installed. The volume isn't much different from stock, just a higher-pitched sound during acceleration, higher-pitched & more aggressive-sounding downshifts, and the burbles when you lift off at low RPM. However doing the downpipes with OPF/GPF delete and race cats is a game-changer in terms of sound volume, as you can see here (skip to 3:20):

So I'm looking forward to getting the downpipes installed to complete the full Novitec exhaust system and increase the current volume significantly.

nimamd likes this.
  22. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Please keep posting your feedbacks after the upgrade. Thanks

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I recently had a Capristo valve controller installed and it made a decent difference. You may want to try this before replacing parts of the exhaust system.

DZ-96 and Cigarzman like this.
  24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I have done this on the superfast, and will on the GTS as well. Then go from there.

Gh21631 likes this.