Any North & South Carolina Gun Enthusiast? | FerrariChat

Any North & South Carolina Gun Enthusiast?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by ntol, Feb 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Anyone carry concealed these day while out and about?

Planning to get my permit in the few weeks... wife is as well. Also tripped upon this which is pretty cool... http://www.carolinashootersclub.com

2. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    My wife hates firearms (or rather doesn't understand the need for self-protection), but I'm in process of figuring out how to bring mine down from WA, where we lived previously.

I only have a couple, a P226 Sig and an AR-15, but I enjoy shooting for a nice leisure activity.

Once I get my carry permit I'll carry when out and about, but until I cross all the Ts and dot the Is I'll be firearm-less.

3. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    My wife and I do carry and we have guns in all of the cars. For the wife especially, they really have great new compact automatics now, such as the Taurus TCP that are incredibly easy to carry undetected in a pants pocket or coat.

4. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    yes I belong to the Charlotte rifle pistol club here in Union County. Shoot trap, rifle, pistol combat in all different calibers.

5. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I keep a Howitzer in my pants. BA-ZING !!! :) Sorry... I couldn't resist.

I do hope to shoot some clays later this month.

6. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I carry occasionally when I am going someplace iffy(such as wal-mart). I often am packing heat in the car.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    In SC does anyone know if you need a concealed carry to put one in the glovebox? I guess technically you could be "transporting" to a range..

8. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I think that if you're riding in the car with it in the glovebox, then it'd be concealed. If you leave it there while parked, it'd be OK, but you'd need to put in plain sight when with the car/gun.

That's my interpretation anyway...

9. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.

I think it is crazy not to be armed on some level these days, whether concealed or just at home, car, etc.

I always have a .38 or .45 in the car as well as at both ends of the house. I have a permit and I do carry when I feel the need to...gas station, Waffle House, Wal-Mart, grocery store, etc.

As for the wife, she still needs to get her CCW permit for carrying but at home she feels a lot better with protection.

So many people carry are packing these days that I think you'd really have to be crazy to try to rob someone but they do it every day!

10. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't have my CCW but I do own a hand gun and enjoy going to the range.

Per carrying in a vehicle in SC, you do not need to have a CCW in SC:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Thanks for the clarification.. I thought that was the case given the castle doctrine applying to motor vehicles..

12. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    In SC just don't conceal it on your person or you will be in violation. I cross the SC NC boarder all the time and you have to be aware of the laws. NC is an open carry state needs to be in plain site in your vehicle or person. You can open carry as to not draw attention or create hestaria otherwise you can be subject to arrest. Try going to Harris Teeter with a handgun strapped to your belt you will draw lots of attention and prompt a visit by the Police.

Just get your CCW and you will not have to deal with this at all.

13. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    I have no affiliation with this place, but I stopped by last weekend. Beyond any doubt, this is the nicest shooting range I've ever seen! They just opened recently. Located on Bailey Rd in Cornelius, NC (close to I-77, exit 25 or 28).

http://therangeatlakenorman.com/

They offer the CCW class for $150 as well as an advanced CCW class for $180.
    Many other classes offered as well.

In addition to the shooting range, they have the Meggitt XVT Law Enforcement Training Simulator. Pretty cool!

14. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Brian, I have been meaning to drop by that range. A group from work has been going to Shooter's Express every month but they recently hiked their prices for range rental. Perhaps the Range at Lake Norman would be a good alternative.

15. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    I haven't shot there yet... just stopped by to see it. They don't do hourly lane rentals. They rent the lanes by the day for $25. I believe she said they allow 2 people per lane rental.

16. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Gas station? Grocery store? Man, either you guys live in some rough areas, or I'm just not paranoid enough.

17. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Boy scout motto - be prepared or its like winning the lotto hey you never know. If anything were to happen and I hope it never does I will have a fighting chance to defend myself.

18. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    When I came here from PA I brought mine with me and my PA CCW is valid here in NC. I have been out many times with my CCW. As I am still new to the area, I don't know the good and bad area's, always want to be prepared :) Back home, I used to compete in 3 gun competitions (AR15, Handgun and Shotgun) Since moving sold the AR15 and Shotgun to move down here, so am just left with my CCW handgun and my Competition handgun. Would love to go to a range again since there are not many close by.

19. Toxiclemonade

Toxiclemonade Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    In SC you can carry in your car as long as it is in your glove box, console, or trunk (without a cwp). With a CWP you can carry it on you. I have my .45 stuffed in between my passenger seat and the console, although somewhat illegal, I would have enough time to put it in the glove box if I got pulled, plus I have a CWP so I could carry it on me as well.

20. Toxiclemonade

Toxiclemonade Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Not paranoid, just work with enough of the people who commit these crimes to know better not to go out without my gun.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Cool! Thanks Ryan! I've been wanting to carry a 9mm with me.

22. Toxiclemonade

Toxiclemonade Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    No doubt! Everybody should be aware of their rights and where they can and cannot carry!

23. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    As a corollary to this, does anyone know of good ranges to use in the east Raleigh area?

24. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    That's not my neck of the woods but you've got a good one in your town. WT's I think. You probably knew that but just in case...

25. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    As an old snake eater from VietNam, I am always armed