Any of you have a creaking from the dash while driving? | FerrariChat

Any of you have a creaking from the dash while driving?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F355 Fan 82, Aug 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    my maranello has had this creaking for the last few months occasionally while driving, sometimes its there, sometimes its not. My tech adjusted the steering last time and it fixed it for a little while and then it came back, this time the steering wheel wouldn't stop it. He thinks it may be temperature related but he's not sure, sometimes its unbearable to drive the car when its going on. Have any of you experienced this and found a long term solution. It's not a loose part I dont believe bc you dont hear anything inside the dash, it just creaks.

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My 456M has the same symptoms. And just like yours, it seems to randomly happen. The good thing is it’s not very often.

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    any ideas?

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    you might want to check the brake duct hoses...

mine developed a noise that would come and go... turned out the hose (and fitting?) was vibrating against something.

it sounded like it was the dash coming from the corner

marce and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Is it a true "creak" or more like a "groan"? Is it only when turning the wheel or any time?

6. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    It's a simple fix ..... push the pedal on the right a bit further and all cockpit creaks and groans miraculously dissappear

F456M likes this.
  7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Check the upper shock mounts. When they squeak it sounds like it's coming from the dash.

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    At first, I thought the whole dash was just loose. But it has a more plastic-like sound. I'm beginning to suspect it's from the instrument binnacle.
    I'm going to remove the dash this winter to fix some leather issues. I hope to find and/or eliminate the source then.

9. masinari

masinari Karting

Jun 30, 2005
    Manhattan; California; Italy; Shanghai
    Full Name:
    Matthew Asinari DSM

On my 575 I have a plasticky harsh sounding vibration that comes from the steering column cover (the one that holds the turn signal stalk and the wipers stalk, i.e. the part that has the VIN number plate on the steering). The sound comes and goes depending on temperature/engine revs, but if I touch it with my hand, it stops. I am sure it is an easy fix if I took those two steering column "half shells" apart and looked at where they are touching the steering assembly components.

Let us know if you found the solution. It sounds very similar to my problem.

Thank you! :)

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I do not have that on my 550 however sometimes if the passenger seat is empty and back to a certain position it rubs against the rear bulkhead and makes a creaking sound drove me crazy till I figured just move the seat forward a fraction of an inch??

11. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    i have it on the 550, when I put pressure on the dash while driving it lessens.

has your dash ever been out? mine has(recovered), my mechanic thinks it may be from this and needs to come out again and re tightened. this has yet to happen.

m

12. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    I had that on my F430 and always thought it was due to the shrinking leather pushing on the plastic defroster vents?